Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to downgrade iPhone 3G from OS 4 to OS 3.1.3

Default Is it possible to downgrade iPhone 3G from OS 4 to OS 3.1.3
    I have read as much as I can on the subject, I'm not an iPhone expert or jailbreaking expert in the slightest so I've gotten lost in the tons of articles and posts out there.

From what I understand, you can not downgrade from OS 4 to 3.1.3 if your phone has been previously jailbroken on OS 3.1.3?

Is this correct?

have answered my own question here:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...iphone-3g.html

can a mod delete this thread please, thanks
    Last edited by djmalice; 2010-07-04 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im also wondering this too . someone please help @@

Quote Originally Posted by Slone_mcg View Post
    im also wondering this too . someone please help @@
    check out my thread above:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...iphone-3g.html

let me know how it goes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a jailbroken 3G running on OS4. Is it possible to downgrade this to 3.1.3 and still be jailbroken? If so, how? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bwil18 View Post
    I have a jailbroken 3G running on OS4. Is it possible to downgrade this to 3.1.3 and still be jailbroken? If so, how? any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Of course you can downgrade, since you are already jailbroken at 4.0,the easiest way is to create a custom firmware of your choice, either 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 and put your Iphone into Recovery mode and restore to the cfw you created.

OR If you are at official 4.0, you need to jailbreak your iOS 4.0 with Redsn0w 0.9.5-5 first and once this is done, you are jailbroken at iOS 4.0.
    Now you can downgrade using custom firmware to either 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 created by either Snowbreeze or Pwnage tools.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-07-21 at 07:47 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

capus26 (2010-07-31)

So, if I'm a 3g, jb'd at 4.0.1, and want to downgrade due to horrible performance, I use Snowbreeze or Pwnage? Please clarify.

if you have problems while downgrading, and find errors like 1601.... or 1011 ... or cannot use redsn0w , or you are in China and cannot use Cydia... check this post http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...uck-guide.html

Pls give steps to downgrade 3G from 4.0.1 back to 3.1.2. The 4.0.1 is not performing!

I just managed to get my 3G down from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 with no problems, I'll post how I did it, maybe it'll help:

First, I downloaded the 3.1.3 firmware file, the iRecovery package, (Extracted to desktop) and also the 3.1.2 firmware file. Then I ran itunes, put the iphone into DFU mode, shift-clicked 'restore' and chose the 3.1.3 firmware.

Meanwhile, I ran the libusb file (with iRecovery) and installed it.

The restore went fine, although I got an error code at the end, I think it was 1050...

Anyways, I was stuck in a recovery loop. Without removing the usb lead, i ran the command prompt (windows > run > cmd) and navigated to the desktop. (cd desktop, etc..)

Once i was in the folder where iRecovery.exe was, i typed -

setenv auto-boot true

then:
    saveenv

then:
    reboot

Once the iphone rebooted, i was on the 'emergency call' page, so i connected to itunes with an O2 payg sim (Dunno if you NEED to do this, was just easier for me)

Then I ran redsn0w-win_0.9.4 and pointed it at the 3.1.2 firmware I'd downloaded earlier. This jailbroke the iphone, so now it's just a matter of reinstalling all my cydia apps.

Hope this helps! Worked great for me

(By the way, I didn't invent this method, so thumbs up to whoever did!)
    Last edited by TrilbyMonkey; 2010-08-05 at 02:43 AM.

Default Simpler steps to downgrade to 3.1.2?
    I'm pretty tech savy but definately not as much as most of you.....is there anything easier to follow than TrilbyMonkey's instructions please? Thank you.

Thanks

If you are jailbroken at 4.0.1 by redsn0w0.9.5b5 , then if u want to downgrade to 3.1.3, simply create a custom 3.1.3 and restore to it. This method will be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    If you are jailbroken at 4.0.1 by redsn0w0.9.5b5 , then if u want to downgrade to 3.1.3, simply create a custom 3.1.3 and restore to it. This method will be easier.
    Once you update to 4.0.1 or iOS 4 in iTunes you cannot downgrade from there.Apple signs off on downgrading even in DFU mode.But here's the steps.
    Things you will need:
    iPhone 3.1.3 firmware
    iPhone 3.1.2 firmware
    Redsnow 0.9.4
    RecBoot

1.Connect iPhone to iTunes and put phone into recovery mode.
    2.Restore with shift or option click and select 3.1.3 firmware.
    You will get an error but the firmware is loaded on the iPhone.
    3.Use RecBoot to kick iPhone out of recovery mode.Once you get out use redsnow to jailbreak.
    4.Point redsnow to the 3.1.2 firmware.Dont worry it will be jailbroken on 3.1.3 though.
    5.Let phone boot up and you just downgraded.Now go unlock using ultrasnow in cydia!!

Hope I didnt miss anything on my steps but message me if you have any problems.
    Last edited by JediSky671; 2010-08-05 at 04:27 AM.

Hye there Jedisky,

I have done all your steps, but it still stuck to the DFU mode. but when i boot up, it came back to the activation mode page but i dont have the telco's simcard anymore.

pls2 help me

ps : my phone is lock with singapore's telco.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xexe View Post
    Hye there Jedisky,

I have done all your steps, but it still stuck to the DFU mode. but when i boot up, it came back to the activation mode page but i dont have the telco's simcard anymore.

pls2 help me

ps : my phone is lock with singapore's telco.
    You have a 3g, restore back to 4.0.1, from emergency screen run 0.9.5b5 to hactivate and jailbreak. After that put your iphone in Recovery mode and restore to custom firmware of 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. Your custom firmware must be hactivated. When it is done, you are already jailbroken at 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 whichever one you restored.

If you are still at 3.0, at emergency screen you can run Redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak and activate it for you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-08-05 at 06:34 AM.

dear yeow202

i am trying to downgrade my friend's iphone which is 3Gs and i think he did try to update to OS 4.0 and it requires me to unbrick the phone which is not possible because he dont have the SIngtel's simcard

pls advise

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Didn't think of that lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xexe View Post
    dear yeow202

i am trying to downgrade my friend's iphone which is 3Gs and i think he did try to update to OS 4.0 and it requires me to unbrick the phone which is not possible because he dont have the SIngtel's simcard

pls advise
    The method i describes is only for 3G, 3Gs will not work with Redsn0w on OS 4.0, you will need the activation sim card, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TrilbyMonkey View Post
    Didn't think of that lol
    This should not work with the new iTunes 9.2 because the apple server has to sign on the firmware updates or downgrades.Just use the methos I described.You just restore to a stock 3.1.3 firmware and you will get an error but it is loaded.You will be in the recovery screen still but use RecBoot to kick the iPhone out.When it's out you use redsn0w 0.9.4 and jailbreak by following the DFU mode steps.Real easy stuff I have downgraded from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 successfully with this method.

Okay guys, i can't get this thing to work.

I have a iphone 3g with 4.0.1. i tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 following the guide. However, every time i shift+restore and chose 3.1.3 firmware i get a message " The iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. I have the iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18. Do I have the wrong firmware file? What am i doing wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by sliphone View Post
    Okay guys, i can't get this thing to work.

I have a iphone 3g with 4.0.1. i tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 following the guide. However, every time i shift+restore and chose 3.1.3 firmware i get a message " The iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. I have the iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18. Do I have the wrong firmware file? What am i doing wrong here?
    Try getting your firmware by searching on google felixbruns.It should say iPod firmware or something like that.It's where I get mine.Once you get it shift+restore and restore the stock 3.1.3 although you will get an error.Do not worry the firmware is loaded on just not active.Your iPhone should be in recovery mode and now use the program RecBoot to kick it out of recovery.Once done use redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak and point it to the stock 3.1.2 firmware.Don't worry it will jailbreak on 3.1.3 though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast