Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G[S] + Spirit2pwn = brick. SHSH on file for 3.1.3

I got my iphone 3gs back to life.i opened the iphone and unplug the battery then restore the phone and it goes straight away.sweet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLAN2k View Post
    I got my iphone 3gs back to life.i opened the iphone and unplug the battery then restore the phone and it goes straight away.sweet
    This in nonsense..

Sound nonsense but at least i got my phone back to running. This method i shared was shared by other user who has the same problem with me and i just said why not give a try,and so o did and It WORKS for me too

Does anyone have a fix for this that actually works?

Hi people

Hate to use the word but I think I may have 'bricked' my iPhone 3GS when installing Spirit2Pwn.

I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB with old-bootrom running iOs 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com

SHSH saved in Cydia for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, iTunes 10

I read on the redmondpie tutorial (here Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3GS New Bootrom with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.1 [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie ) that I will need to install Spirit2Pwn before an install..

iPhone 3GS old bootrom (Must be already jailbroken. If you are jailbroken using Spirit or JailbreakMe, install Spirit2Pwn from iWOOWIZ Repo)

So I go ahead and install Spirit2Pwn - I get the Cydia 'running script' screen then I get 'error exit status 3'

The phone goes black. I can't get it into Recovery mode or DFU mode. Screen is just black, holding the sleep/power buttons does nothing.

I plug the phone in and get the 'phone detected in recovery mode...' message in iTunes..

-I shift click restore to a 4.1 sn0wbreeze firmware
    =Error
    -I add Sauriks DNS to my HOSTS file, restart iTunes and try the same again
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and shift+restore to original 4.0.1
    =Error
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and shift+restore to Original 4.1
    =Error
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and try a straight restore - iTunes downloads 4.1 and begins install
    =Error

Can anyone suggest a fix or the next step I should try?

Any help would be hugely appreciated, and if I do find a fix I will definitely post and help others with the same problem as me.

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CorpseGrind For This Useful Post:

hardcore4eva (2010-09-24)

Thanks

WARNING : IT WILL BRICK YOUR IPHONE PERMANENTLY
    I hate to say this, but it is a fact, I was trying to help a guy like you, using jailbreakme + Spirit2pwn = Brick your iphone and you can't even restore to 4.1, error 28 keeps popping up , white screen first then black.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-24 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhadrepsak View Post
    Okay, well I didn't quite follow the "ultimate downgrade guide" from A-Z...

When I hooked my bricked phone up with the computer, it popped up in iTunes saying it's found a new device for recovery. So here's what I did:

1) Pointed my host file to Sauriks server: Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

2) Downloaded the IPSW file for 3.1.3 using: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

3) Shift + restore in iTunes

4) Restored with backed-up data from previous sync in iTunes

5) Jailbroke with Spirit

So no need for Quickpwn, TinyUmbrella etc...

Hope this helps.

This worked for me, however, last night I tried this and several other methods on a windows 7 pc with no luck.....then today on my macbook it worked first time.....and thankfully I havent lost my best mate due to nearly bricking his phone lol

btw the iphone in question is a 3GS which was originally on 3.1.3 and had previously been jailbroken with spirit
    Last edited by hardcore4eva; 2010-09-24 at 09:35 AM. Reason: extra info to add

Hi all,
    I've exactly the same prob and tried the things above, without success, tried with Windows XP and Macbook

Thanks for any help

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    WARNING : IT WILL BRICK YOUR IPHONE PERMANENTLY
    I hate to say this, but it is a fact, I was trying to help a guy like you, using jailbreakme + Spirit2pwn = Brick your iphone and you can't even restore to 4.1, error 28 keeps popping up , white screen first then black.
    just either let the battery die or open and disconnect the battery yea you would think the genius that created the program would of not told us how to brick my phone wait for proper jailbreak

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstraub View Post
    Thanks so much, I am going to wait a few days for the battery to deplete then try the restore, only thing is if I get a few days use from a single charge running 3G + apps etc who knows how long it will take to drain just sitting there in DFU mode
    Picked up a cheap LG to get me through the week but I still feel like I've had a limb removed!

I will update in a few days when I have tried it out..

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by CorpseGrind View Post
    Hi people

Hate to use the word but I think I may have 'bricked' my iPhone 3GS when installing Spirit2Pwn.

I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB with old-bootrom running iOs 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com

SHSH saved in Cydia for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, iTunes 10

I read on the redmondpie tutorial (here Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3GS New Bootrom with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.1 [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie ) that I will need to install Spirit2Pwn before an install..

iPhone 3GS old bootrom (Must be already jailbroken. If you are jailbroken using Spirit or JailbreakMe, install Spirit2Pwn from iWOOWIZ Repo)

So I go ahead and install Spirit2Pwn - I get the Cydia 'running script' screen then I get 'error exit status 3'

The phone goes black. I can't get it into Recovery mode or DFU mode. Screen is just black, holding the sleep/power buttons does nothing.

I plug the phone in and get the 'phone detected in recovery mode...' message in iTunes..

-I shift click restore to a 4.1 sn0wbreeze firmware
    =Error
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and shift+restore to original 4.0.1
    =Error
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and shift+restore to Original 4.1
    =Error
    =Error
    -I revert HOSTS file, restart iTunes and try a straight restore - iTunes downloads 4.1 and begins install
    =Error

Can anyone suggest a fix or the next step I should try?

Any help would be hugely appreciated, and if I do find a fix I will definitely post and help others with the same problem as me.

Thanks
    I faced the same problem, it actually must install JBme2Pwn not Spirit2Pwn. Any advices? Please..

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    This in nonsense..
    It did work for me.
    Last edited by iNok; 2010-09-25 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Agreed with YEOW202, wait for a proper jail break.
    Agreed with IPODGUY79, once you are into error 28, let it drain the battery and it could be 12hrs more or less depends on when it was last charged. Another approach is open the phone and disconnect the battery. This is not for those with fainted hearts.

I ran into 2 errors using spirit2pwn.

a) No real damage was done after the post-installation error 3, but restore end up with error 1394. THe fix is to run tiny umbrella to fool your system by redirect gs.apple.com to 127.0.0.1 and you need to have your shsh blob locally. Alternative method is modify hosts file resolving gs.apple.com to cydia to sign the installation IPSW.

b) This time I had more serious issue, error 28. aka DFU loops. I ran out of patience, and cannot wait for the battery to drain because it has 100% juice after being charged the whole day. I opened the iphone remove 4 ribbon cable let it sit a while and restored successfully.

-you need the following tools.
    1) Small (really small) phillip screw driver
    2) Suction cup, (go to youtube.com, you'll see sample)

Thanks

Suction cup, hmmm cool, you look like a professional tech.

Hi people

Okay I waited a few weeks, the restore still didn't work.

Last night I opened the phone, carefully removed the main board from the back of the case + battery and left them overnight about 10 hours.
    Carefully reassembled the unit and attempted various restore methods (4.01, 4.1, Sauriks server, apples server etc..)
    No luck I get the same results as before. White screen, apple logo, spinning circle, then disconnects with black screen and an iTunes error 1618.

EDIT:

...Now I'm really confused.

I just successfully restored to official iOs 4.1.

Left my phone plugged in over USB after a few failed restore attempts for a few hours while I was away from my computer, returned to my office, figured I'd give it one last shot before I scrapped the thing, and it worked. I have no idea why.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
    Last edited by CorpseGrind; 2010-10-12 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Successful restore.

Google error 1618, pretty sure there is a way to fix that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CorpseGrind View Post
    Hi people

Okay I waited a few weeks, the restore still didn't work.

Last night I opened the phone, carefully removed the main board from the back of the case + battery and left them overnight about 10 hours.
    Carefully reassembled the unit and attempted various restore methods (4.01, 4.1, Sauriks server, apples server etc..)
    No luck I get the same results as before. White screen, apple logo, spinning circle, then disconnects with black screen and an iTunes error 1618.

EDIT:

...Now I'm really confused.

I just successfully restored to official iOs 4.1.

Left my phone plugged in over USB after a few failed restore attempts for a few hours while I was away from my computer, returned to my office, figured I'd give it one last shot before I scrapped the thing, and it worked. I have no idea why.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
    Santa Claus came early to help you to restore .. Just joking.

Under your preference in Itunes, uncheck " Check for updates automatically"

Default Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhadrepsak View Post
    Okay, well I didn't quite follow the "ultimate downgrade guide" from A-Z...

When I hooked my bricked phone up with the computer, it popped up in iTunes saying it's found a new device for recovery. So here's what I did:

1) Pointed my host file to Sauriks server: Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

2) Downloaded the IPSW file for 3.1.3 using: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

3) Shift + restore in iTunes

4) Restored with backed-up data from previous sync in iTunes

5) Jailbroke with Spirit

So no need for Quickpwn, TinyUmbrella etc...

Hope this helps.
    I registered with these forums just to say THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! You have saved my iPhone from the grave after spending 5 hours trying to find a fix. I've literally downloaded 20 different programs and items trying to resolve the problem, but this did the trick. Once again, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12