Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tell me how screwed I am

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tell me how screwed I am
    . . . or rather, I'd prefer you told me that it's an easy fix. Here's the deal, I upgraded my boss's iPhone 3GS to iOS 4.0 last week. The phone has never been jailbroken and I never saved my "blobs." I should also mention that I'm running iTunes 9.2 on a PC running WinXP SP3.

Fast-forward to today, I still have the iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw file locally but restoring from Recovery Mode while holding shift in iTunes hasn't worked. First I got Error 3194, so I modified my HOSTS file, problem solved. Then I got error 3014, which I can't find a way around.

What's my best course of action considering that the phone absolutely must work as a phone and I'd strongly prefer not to give my boss his phone back jailbroken. . . it's a can of worms I don't have the time energy to explain.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Mick_B; 2010-06-30 at 12:26 AM. Reason: grammar, politeness, additional information

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

So what are you trying to do? Downgrade to 3.1.3?

With no SHSH files saved you cannot downgrade the 3GS via shift+restore.

Whats wrong with it being on iOS 4?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ideally yes, I would like to downgrade to 3.1.3.

The problem with it on iOS 4 is that with the new firmware the phone has been sucking the battery at about twice the rate as before and it tends to run hot to the touch as well. The Apple Store says that this isn't a problem. . .

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If its an old bootrom phone try using sn0wbreeze to create a custom fw of 3.1.3 to downgrade to. Unfortunately that will make the phone jailbroken. You could always just manually delete Cydia and make the phone look like stock, lol. Unfortunately, to restore to a stock 3.1.3 is not possible on a 3GS without the SHSH blobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thenextkiller's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, it DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE ITUNES 9.2, download your firmware from felix.....make sure that you put your device in DFU mode NOT RECOVERY MODE-you should NOT see the apple logo or the connect to itunes picture: your idevice should be black as though it was shut off- hold home button and power button at the same time for about ten seconds then release the power button keep pressing the home button(You might have to be very patient and repeat if it does not work the 1st try)-make sure your idevice is still black, nothing on it, if not repeat the steps until it is. It does not matter if itunes does not come up just make sure your device is in DFU mode.

Open itunes and restore idevice to your firmware!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Have you tried reinstalling 4.0 again to see if that corrects the issue?
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

"TNK" SHSH blobs are needed. Stop going around 3GS threads telling otherwise.