Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G downgrade to 3.1.3 / 3.0 etc.?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G downgrade to 3.1.3 / 3.0 etc.?
    Hi, I have firmware 05.13.04 and iOS 4.0 and I want to downgrade as low as possible for testing purposes. (I have no need to use the device as a phone/activate it, etc)

I don't have and SSH stuff stored, etc. but I was thinking I could jailbreak first using the pwnage tool for iOS 4.0 then be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 or 3.0, etc. I read somewhere that downgrading to 3.1.3 fails because apple doesn't sign 3.x any longer. But will jailbreaking it first make a difference?

Thanks!

Edit: Here's how I downgraded my iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0 to 2.2.1 using my Mac:

- Shift/option-click Restore to install the 3.0 firmware
    - Once that's done and you get a 1015 error, quit iTunes and rename your current iTunes.app to something like iTunes92.app
    - Rename ~/Music/iTunes to something like ~/Music/iTunes92
    - Run the following terminal command:
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
    (From: How to Uninstall iTunes 8.2 on Mac | iPhone)

- Install iTunes 8.1.1 (From: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/d...or-windows-mac )
    - Set your phone's auto-lock to "Never" in Settings -> General
    - Plug in the phone if it isn't already, iTunes says you need iTunes 8.2 (nuh-uh!)
    - Put the phone in DFU mode
    - iTunes says "okay, but you have to restore your phone!"
    - Option-click Restore and find the 2.2.1 firmware ipsw file
    - The phone fiiiinally installs the firmware, with a 1013 error when it's done
    - With the phone now in recovery mode, again option-click the Restore button, re-installing the 2.2.1 image again
    - After it's done you'll see another 1013 error, no problem, quit iTunes
    - Load up terminal, run the following iRecover commands:
    • irecover -s
    • setenv auto-boot true
    • saveenv
    • poweroff

- Turn the phone on, open iTunes, set it up as a new phone (unless you have a 2.2.1 backup somewhere)
    - Hooray

Also note: as of 7/1 all new apps submitted to Apple's app store that target 2.x will be denied!
    Last edited by taberrr; 2010-07-01 at 08:54 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Only for 3GS phones. 3G can be downgraded to 3.x by using shift+restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Do you think I'd be able to downgrade to 2.2.1 after 3.0 or is that pushing it?

Thanks again!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

taberrr (2010-06-30)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very cool - thanks for the help.

Thanks

This didn't work for me i am on 3g 4.0 jailbroken an i did wat you said but when it was done i got an error am i doing something wrong?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You have to be more specific about what you tries doing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If they're referring to the 1015 error I'm getting the same thing. Here's what I did... (I'm on Mac OS Snow Leopard btw)

1) Start with stock (non-jailbroken, non-unlocked) iPhone 4.0 iOS firmware 05.13.04
    2) Open iTunes, hold option (shift on Windows computers) and click Restore
    3) Select the iPhone OS 3.0 ipsw file
    4) Wait a long time
    5) Finally iTunes says something to the effect of "This phone could not be restored, error #1015"
    5) iTunes says it found a phone "iPhone" in recovery mode and it will need to be activated in iTunes or something similar.
    6) So what I did was download the latest redsn0w, selected the same OS image file in step #3, waited a while for that to finish
    7) After the phone rebooted it showed the "connect to iTunes screen"
    8) So I tried using (a probably outdated version) of irecovery in the terminal, ran the following commands:

irecovery -s
    setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    reboot

Now my phone just sits at the boot screen for EVER and will apparently not boot. I think I'm going to try restoring to 3.0 again. Any tips on how to deal with the 1015 error after that point?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Put phone in DFU mode and then attempt the shift+restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, just did that successfully, but again I'm getting the 1015 error. Any thoughts on how to use the phone at that point? Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Do it again. When the error shows up, run iReb from ih8sn0w.com to kick it out of recovery mode. Afterwards, run redsn0w on it to jailbreak. You should be fine after.

Dont add any steps I didnt tell you to do. Basically, its DFU mode, shift+restore, error 1015, run iReb, run Redsn0w. You should be out of recovery mode and jailbroken after these steps.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-30 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

taberrr (2010-06-30)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I used these commands with iRecovery after getting the 1015 error:

setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    poweroff

Then I unplugged it, turned the phone on, plugged it in, opened up iTunes and that did the trick! So now I'm going down to 2.2.1.

Thanks!

Okay tried the option-Restore method with the 2.2.1 ipsw and (pretty quickly) got a "20" error, so I rebooted the phone in DFU mode, tried to option-Restore again and then got a "1600" error. In a log file that iTunes wanted to send to apple, I saw a "DFU=1" log message so I'm pretty sure I'm entering DFU mode properly... the screen of the phone is black even though iTunes recognizes it. Any suggestions there? Am I stuck with 3.0? Haven't tried jailbreaking it yet. Thanks!
    Last edited by taberrr; 2010-06-30 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

1600 errors are USB port issues. Use a different USB port after restarting the computer.

Error 20 usually results from nonvalid version of iTunes. To go down to 2.2.1 might require iTunes 8 or even 7.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried iTunes 7.5 and 8.2 and get error 20 and error 1600 with each. Actually iTunes 7.5 wouldn't even recognize my 3.0 iPhone, DFU or not. In 8.2 I've tried option-Restore in both DFU mode and restore mode. (Error 20 in restore mode, error 1600 in DFU mode.) Also tried different USB ports. I'm beginning to think I'm stuck with 3.0.
    Last edited by taberrr; 2010-07-01 at 02:51 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Perhaps you should attempt on a different computer and see if the problem persists.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Perhaps you should attempt on a different computer and see if the problem persists.
    Good idea, thanks! But I figured it out!! I hope this helps others trying to downgrade from iOS 4.0 to 2.2.1 on an iPhone 3G...

After TONS of searching and iTunes deleting/re-installing of various versions, and several option-click Restores... I found this page:

Downgrading Your iPhone 3.0 To 1.1.4 Firmware - iPhone Forum

Specifically, "Note: As long is it is not a 16xx error, there is nothing to worry about. If you encounter any of the 16xx errors, then there is a 90% chance that you are not using the correct iTunes version." ... which tipped me off that it was almost certainly a problem with my iTunes version.

Then after more rummaging I found this page:

How to Uninstall iTunes 8.2 on Mac | iPhone

Even though I'm not even trying to jailbreak, the key part was:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
    So I completely removed 8.2 including the rm command above, installed 8.1.1 (instead of just 8.1!) put my phone in DFU mode (since iTunes 8.1.1 won't recognize OS 3.0 phones), and here are the steps I did to downgrade:

1) Set my phone's auto-lock to "Never"
    2) Plugged the phone in, iTunes automatically opened, said I needed iTunes 8.2 (whatevs)
    3) Put the phone in DFU mode
    4) iTunes said "okay, fine, I'll admit I see your phone, but you still have to restore it, mmkay?"
    5) Option-click Restore and find the 2.2.1 firmware ipsw file
    6) The phone fiiiinally installs the firmware, at the end I get a 1013 error
    7) With the phone now in recovery mode, I option-clicked the Restore button again, re-installing (probably not necessary)
    8) Got the 1013 error again, quit iTunes
    9) Loaded up terminal, ran the following iRecover commands:

• irecover -s
    • setenv auto-boot true
    • saveenv
    • poweroff

10) Turned on the phone, opened iTunes, set it up as a new phone!

I also found a very handy download page for old iTunes versions, which are especially hard to come by for Mac peeps:

Download all versions of iTunes for Windows & Mac | Update guides

Thank you so much again for the help! Now my wife's new phone is stuck in 2.2.1 land, muahah.

Edit: Interesting... just found out apps targeted to 2.x that are submitted to the app store will be denied. So I guess 3.0 is the lowest common denominator now. I browsed around the app store on 2.2.1 and found that most apps (almost every one in the top 25) require iOS 3.0. Oh well.
    Last edited by taberrr; 2010-07-01 at 08:56 PM.