Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 4.0 Jailbreak?

Default iPhone 3GS 4.0 Jailbreak?
    Hello all,
    I have this iPhone 3GS, it came on iOS 4 and I'm trying to unlock it, (w/o bricking it of course).

I'm getting mixed feelings weather it is jailbreakable or not:

The model is MBXXX and the 4th/5th digit of the serial is less than 45, the baseband is 05.13.04 and the bootloader version is 6.4. Out of curiousity, I tried to downgrade it to 3.1.2 but realized that there was more to than just restore. :P

I ran the f0recast application (v1.1), and the spot where it is supposed to tell you if it is "jailbreakable" is completely blank , unlockable "No" (b/c of the baseband, that can be fixed after jailbreak I read?) and tethered says "Maby - Depends if Refurb".

I saw that they had pre-jailbroken iOS 4 ispw's but I wanted to double check what the community said before I went on a downloading and flashing spree.

Any help guys?

Thanks

P.S.- I use windows and I don't think it has ever been jailbroken = no blobs

I have the exact same set up as the original poster. I am trying to downgrade to 3.1.3 so that I can jailbreak and I keep getting a 3194 restore error, despite redirecting the verification to the alternative address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. How can we jailbreak these? I know that 4.0 with the new bootrom can't be broken, yet, that is why I am trying to downgrade.

Thanks

You can't use a custom firmware unless you are already jailbroken.
    If your phone came with 4.0 installed and has never been jailbroken, you can not jailbreak / unlock at this time or downgrade to an earlier version (3GS only). You have to wait for the next jailbreak program to be released. .. and nobody knows when that will be.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

excaliburlives (2010-06-29), User100 (2010-07-22)

The next jailbreak program, meaning until they release a jailbreak for iOS 4 for this bootrom?

Thanks

Correct.

That stinks, I had a jailbroken phone a while ago and I loved it. There is so much you can do with it.

Where will a jailbreak for the new bootrom be announced? Dev-team website?

Actually i hope for the Spirit, since it JB's every bootrom, but if any other kind person would like to release a nice JB, ill be sure happy and will even donate.

So will I... I have a 1 month old 3gs and since my cousin didnt jailbreak it before upgrading Im stuck with it.. Hopefully something comes out soon ! I'll pay money for that !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No Shsh = No Downgrade
    No shsh but jailbroken at 4.0 = Downgrade with CFW and no shsh needed
    Stock 4.0 = No Custom firmware Restore
    All 3G downgrade from jailbroken 4.0 to 3.1.3/3.1.2= Use Custom firmware to downgrade

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

User100 (2010-07-22)

That really sucks. My brother gave me his 3GS, before he handed it to me he did the erase all content + settings.

It got stuck in some random reboot @ the apple logo and I was forced to upgrade it to 4.0. I was never able to backup any shsh blobs so I guess im fubard until something is released...

at least I still have my 3g

I thought I read somewhere that the Dev team was suppose to come out with something this week or next week ? Has anyone heard anything like that ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Main Target View Post
    That really sucks. My brother gave me his 3GS, before he handed it to me he did the erase all content + settings.

It got stuck in some random reboot @ the apple logo and I was forced to upgrade it to 4.0. I was never able to backup any shsh blobs so I guess im fubard until something is released...

at least I still have my 3g
    Yeah, it is good to have a backup Iphone either an older generation if you can afford to, in case the present give up on you.

Quote Originally Posted by mazbo1 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the Dev team was suppose to come out with something this week or next week ? Has anyone heard anything like that ?
    Yes! That and where do we look for an announcement for a new jailbreak for people in our situation?

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    No Shsh = No Downgrade
    No shsh but jailbroken at 4.0 = Downgrade with CFW and no shsh needed
    Stock 4.0 = No Custom firmware Restore
    All 3G downgrade from jailbroken 4.0 to 3.1.3/3.1.2= Use Custom firmware to downgrade
    I have a 3gs with old bootrom but with official 4.0. No shsh stored on cydia. I have got the customs ipsw both with pwnagetool and snowbreeze but can't do anything about it. How do you think I should proceed from here?

Oh jailbreak...where art thou? I miss having a jailbroken iPhone.

So, just so I can double check:

This is the program we have been waiting for?

EDIT: It worked! Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by User100; 2010-08-02 at 11:20 PM.