Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 359.3 old bootrom sn0wbreeze

Default 359.3 old bootrom sn0wbreeze
    Hi this is my first and I have the IPhone 3gs on the iOS 4.0 and from my understanding I have read that if you have the old bootrom which is 359.3 then you can use sn0wbreeze to jailbreak it. I used that to create the custom firmware and put it in recovery mode to restore that custom firmware from ITunes but I kept getting a, "Iphone could not be resored uknown 1600 error". It was something like that. I tried looking online for solutions but couldn't find it. Below is a picture to verify my bootrom. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bootrom.png  

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Attempt again by restarting the computer and using a different USB port. 1600 errors usually are in regards to USB problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Attempt again by restarting the computer and using a different USB port. 1600 errors usually are in regards to USB problems.
    I used snowbreeze again and make a custom ispw and did a restore again through ITunes but now I'm stuck on the "Preparing IPhone for restore screen". any suggestions?

Here is what you guys are missing:

In order to use the Custom firmware that is created by Sn0wbreeze, your old bootrom phone must had already been jailbroken (but not jailbroken by Spirit).

So, if your phone is already on an official 4.0 firmware, there is nothing you can do right now regardless of your boot rom.

However, if you're lucky enough to save your 3.1.2 SHSH blob on Cydia server, you can downgrade your phone (the one with the old boot rom) to 3.1.2, then use BlackSn0w or Redsnow to jailbreak your 3.1.2 phone. Once it's jailbroken with 3.1.2, ONLY then you can use itune to restore your phone to a custom 4.0 firmware.

I hope this clarified something.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that but wasnt 100% sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakroval View Post
    Here is what you guys are missing:

In order to use the Custom firmware that is created by Sn0wbreeze, your old bootrom phone must had already been jailbroken (but not jailbroken by Spirit).

So, if your phone is already on an official 4.0 firmware, there is nothing you can do right now regardless of your boot rom.

However, if you're lucky enough to save your 3.1.2 SHSH blob on Cydia server, you can downgrade your phone (the one with the old boot rom) to 3.1.2, then use BlackSn0w or Redsnow to jailbreak your 3.1.2 phone. Once it's jailbroken with 3.1.2, ONLY then you can use itune to restore your phone to a custom 4.0 firmware.

I hope this clarified something.
    That's not true anymore. If you can get back to 3.1.3 and jailbreak it with Spirit you can follow these steps to upgrade to an pwange OS4 firmware. This is only for 3GS with the old bootrom.

This tutorial is only recommended for experienced users.
    anything goes wrong i will not liable for anything
    Requirements:

3GS iPhone with Old iBoot

This file spirit2pwn_r2.zip( Downloads - iphone-img3-flasher - Project Hosting on Google Code )

STEPS:

1. Restore to orignal 3.1.3 firmware and jailbreak it with spirit

2. Install fowllowing from cydia

packages: Afc2Add, OpenSSH and mobile terminal.

3. Create a custom firmware 3.1.3 using PwnageTool 3.15(Mac) or Sn0wBreeze (Windows). Create a custom firmware 4.0 using PwnageTool 4.01 (Mac) or Sn0wBreeze (Windows) and save it for a later step.

4. Now go to the directory where you saved the custom firmware 3.1.3 and change the extension .IPSW to .ZIP and unzip the file you just created.
    Once finished, open the folder indicated by the name of the firmware and placed in Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production and move all the files into the /tmp directory on your iPhone using an SSH connection.
    Decompress spirit2pwn_r2.zip, the previously downloaded file, and once again move all the files in the directory /tmp on your iPhone.

Run on the iPhone Mobile Terminal and type these commands:
    su root
    alpine (your password)
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    When the process really SUCCEED.

Restart your iPhone.

You can now restore to the custom firmware iOS 4 you created earlier.
    Last edited by KiDFuZioN; 2010-06-28 at 03:13 AM.

Yea I'm not sure. I think I'll just wait for the Spirit jailbreak to come out for iOS 4.0. I actually did it but got stuck on the "Preparing for IPhone Restore" window for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by ayusuf View Post
    Yea I'm not sure. I think I'll just wait for the Spirit jailbreak to come out for iOS 4.0. I actually did it but got stuck on the "Preparing for IPhone Restore" window for some time.
    Did you make sure you were booted into the phone normally and not into DFU or restore mode? This process doesn't need the phone to be in DFU or restore to work, it will work while your phone is just booted normally if you followed all the steps.