Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS D/G OS4 to 3.1.3, Cydia bypass server

Default iPhone 3GS D/G OS4 to 3.1.3, Cydia bypass server
    My map of events:
    HARDWARE/SOFTWARE Profile: iPhone 3GS 32GB 3.1.3 05.12.01 (Never previously jailbroken/unlocked)
    MACBook Pro 10.5.8
    iTunes 9.2

Goal: Jailbreak and Unlock

I. I read up, (Heard that Spirit was popular, but didn't allow an Unlock afterwards) found that PWNAGE 3.1.5 works with MAC, deal. Attempted, created CUSTOM.ipsw
    when alt+ restoring in iTunes I ended up with the "16xx" errors, 1604 first - tried iREB, passed the 1604... ended up with the 1600 error. iREB with MAC is much different than Windows, I tried both computers (using USBView to find my ECID) to no avail.
    DFU mode attempts also.. still no luck. Further no luck with downloading custom.ipsw's
    (according to iREB I needed to be at 3.1.2)

2. I attempted every possible way I can find to revert from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2. No luck (as Apple is now not allowing freely-reverting). Error after error, 3094, 16xx's etc.
    -which has left me in the the Restore Mode loop.

3. After hours of reading, I ran into Jay Freeman (saurik)'s page and found that I could trick iTunes into thinking it was talking to Apple. Awesome, I torrent and have to use terminal/hosts file constantly.. way more up my alley.
    From his webpage:
    "open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken."

I followed this to a T and have had no luck on my Windows nor Mac computer. I still get the same "Your device is ineligible for this build" message.

4. Frustration got the better of me (plus wondering if my phone would be allowed in any firmware/OS) so, I upgraded legitly with OS4.

Now my iPhone is version 4.0 (8A293) Modem firmware 05.13.04

5. I get back online because I'm not the quittin' kind... I find that several people are having a great deal of luck jailbreaking with Spirit and then following up with Ultrasn0w (which I was originally cautioned against with everything I had officially read)

6. So, now I start looking up reverts again.. trying Jay Freeman (saurik)s server through Cydia.. attempting the reverts just the same as before (but this time to custom 3.1.3)

And that's where I am, OS4 attempting to revert to 3.1.3, curious if the Spirit Jailbreak then Ultrasn0w unlock is working and plausible. I've done all the reading I can before writing this, so I hope someone has some extra insight, thanks.

Thanks

If you haven't previously saved your SHSH files for 3.1.x you can't downgrade.
    To get to 4.o jailbroken/unlocked you need to be already jailbroken with anything but Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    If you haven't previously saved your SHSH files for 3.1.x you can't downgrade.
    To get to 4.o jailbroken/unlocked you need to be already jailbroken with anything but Spirit.
    That's what I had thought, but I read some contradictions on a couple of websites.. in regards to the downgrade.
    Now, on Saurik's site, it says to continue with the iTunes/Apple host redirection because it will put you "on file" even if you never intend to jailbreak. So, I "on filed" technically when I was at 3.1.3. - so, in theory - though I can't downgrade to 3.1.2, shouldn't I be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 from my current OS4?

I'm fine with not having OS4 jailbroken. Ultimately, I'd be glad to revert to 3.1.3 again and then jailbreak from there. Is that possible?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No shsh on file with Cydia = No stock fw downgrade 3GS New Rom
    No shsh on file with Cydia = Can downgrade 3GS on any version using Custom Firmware 3GS Old Rom.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    No shsh on file with Cydia = No stock downgrade 3GS New Rom
    No shsh on file with Cydia = Can downgrade 3GS on any version using Custom Firmware 3GS Old Rom.
    Okay, I had no SHSH on file with Cydia.. but now that I set up the host file, shouldn't it put me "on file" the way saurik suggested it would?

Either way, now that I'm at OS4 (newest firmware) with no SHSH (let's assume).. I can downgrade to any version using custom firmware old rom? (if so, how would I go about that?)

with all the stuff thats been done with the iphone why is it impossible to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1 if u used spirit to jailbreak 3.1 before up graded?

Why wouldn't a 3.1 ipsw work?

just curious

and why isn't there a fix for the mess that spirit has made? is one in the work?

Thanks

The 3GS is different from the other phones.
    Apple certifies the firmware before installing it, meaning that they only want you to install the lastest firmware (currently 4.0) Unless you save your previous firmware version SHSH files (which are needed to downgrade - read Sauriks blog for more info Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)) you can not downgrade a 3GS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

fonz06 (2010-06-27)

i was just reading that

so the shsh files aren't generic. we couldn't use someone elses?

only eason i want to downgrade is causse i lost mms and data. i was able to add data back with some unlock.uz site. but mms is still missing from 4.0

if i restore i lose every thing my pics my texts every thing ive had since the first iphone. so im trying to find some way to main tain that.

any tips?

Thanks

Nothing you can do, SHSH's are not generic. Just wait, in a couple days a new jailbreak will be out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

fonz06 (2010-06-27)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neorotik View Post
    Okay, I had no SHSH on file with Cydia.. but now that I set up the host file, shouldn't it put me "on file" the way saurik suggested it would?

Either way, now that I'm at OS4 (newest firmware) with no SHSH (let's assume).. I can downgrade to any version using custom firmware old rom? (if so, how would I go about that?)
    You have to be jailbroken at the time when you do downgrading to cfw The jailbreak must not be Spirit jailbreak
    You do not use shsh file and you do not have to edit your hosts file

In other words, you cannot be at stock firmware when you want to downgrade to cfw

Shsh file is generated from the combination of the ipsw and your unique ECID and is generated by Apple Server

So now is the time for all devices regardless of jailbroken or not, go save your iOS 4.0 to Cydia. Otherwise you will be sorry..
    If you are already jailbroken, Cydia will automatically save it for you but if you are not jailbroken , it is best you do it manually
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-27 at 06:03 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

user0071 (2010-07-02)

Nothing you can do, SHSH's are not generic. Just wait, in a couple days a new jailbreak will be out.

how will this help my issue with not having mms?

Thanks

Try to install a custom ipcc file. That should fix your MMS.
    I have a few: ATT_US(6.0).ipcc - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fonz06 View Post
    with all the stuff thats been done with the iphone why is it impossible to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1 if u used spirit to jailbreak 3.1 before up graded?

Why wouldn't a 3.1 ipsw work?

just curious

and why isn't there a fix for the mess that spirit has made? is one in the work?
    It is not Spirit's fault, this new jailbreak has to be applied after the kernel because of the issue of new bootrom (it wants to match the image to see any adjustment has been made )

Try to install a custom ipcc file. That should fix your MMS.
    I have a few: ATT_US(6.0).ipcc - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    ok ill check that out. i tried to do that already but when i did shift restore it doesn't see the ipcc file.

It is not Spirit's fault, this new jailbreak has to be applied after the kernel because of the issue of new bootrom (it wants to match the image to see any adjustment has been made )
    i dont even care about jailbreaking. haha i just want to get my old stuff on to my new iphone 4. when i restored from back up of my 3gs it didnt have mms or data connection. this happened with my 3gs but i had hoped it wouldn't remain that way once i restored from back up on my iphone 4. i figured out a way to get data working.

so i had to retore my iphone 4 to default and begain using it that way until i could find a fix to get it to work right with my 3gs backup.

so my plan was to fix my issues on the 3gs by restoring to 3.1 and then back that up. then restore my iphone 4 from that.

but now im reading thats not possible.

im going to try and do this ipcc file on my 3gs. but if u have any suggestions im all ears.

thanks

oh and the issue only happened with people that used spirit jailbreak.

The problem with downgrading, is itunes will come back with a "software is too old" message when you go to backup from restore. I am going to try to download itunes 9.0 and see if that fixes the issue...standby

Thanks

To add the ipcc function to iTunes do this:
    In Windows, press START, RUN, then paste this in the run command

"C: \Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Then press enter

(you have to take out the space after the C:, the site changed it to a smiley face)
    Last edited by Simtech; 2010-06-27 at 06:34 AM.

You have to be jailbroken at the time when you do downgrading to cfw The jailbreak must not be Spirit jailbreak
    You do not use shsh file and you do not have to edit your hosts file

In other words, you cannot be at stock firmware when you want to downgrade to cfw

Shsh file is generated from the combination of the ipsw and your unique ECID and is generated by Apple Server

So now is the time for all devices regardless of jailbroken or not, go save your iOS 4.0 to Cydia. Otherwise you will be sorry..
    If you are already jailbroken, Cydia will automatically save it for you but if you are not jailbroken , it is best you do it manually
    So, will using the host manipulation by saurik (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) file my OS 4.0 with Cydia, or do I need to do it a different way?

To add the ipcc function to iTunes do this:
    In Windows, press START, RUN, then paste this in the run command

"C: Program FilesiTunesiTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Then press enter

(you have to take out the space after the C:, the site changed it to a smiley face)
    im running windows 7 so i had to type this

"C: \Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

but it still didnt add mms back.

its an issue from the spirit jailbreak

My iphone was on 3.1.3 and had been jailbroken with spirit.
    On Friday i updated my software to IOS4 on itunes without thinking at all. this wiped all jb that i had done.

I dont think I had saved the old firmware anywhere, does this mean I cannot downgrade back to 3.1.3 then?

will i be able to jb my phone now or is it that I will have to wait for a new jb?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fonz06 View Post
    im running windows 7 so i had to type this

"C: Program Files (x86)iTunesiTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

but it still didnt add mms back.

its an issue from the spirit jailbreak
    You're not running the 64bit version? Did you take out the space after C: ?
    Did it give an error?
    This is straight iTunes stuff, has nothing to do with your phone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast