Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help regarding restore to 3.13

Default Please help regarding restore to 3.13
    I am writing for some help. I know you get tons of emails but I was hoping you might be willing to walk me through this either over email or on the phone.

I am trying to sell my wife's iPhone 3gs (she upgraded to the iphone 4). Her phone was not jailbroken. She was running 3.13. Baseband 5.12.01, phone is relatively new (purchased in December).

I did the dumb thing of erasing all settings on phone using the feature on the phone in the general area. That forced me to restore the phone in iTunes.

But iTunes won't let me restore presumably because I am running the older version of iTunes and it wants me to restore to 4.0 ios.

I want to restore back to 3.13 so that I can jailbreak and unlock the phone.

My understanding is that Apple is no longer signing for 3.13 so you have to trick itunes to point it to the Cydia server.

I downloaded the 3.13 firmware from a couple of sites and tried re-pointing the server (by editing the host file in mac osx) using the instructions on Freeman's site but no luck. I keep getting an error message along the lines that the phone can't be built.

One other thing that may be worth mentioning: In addition to my wife's iphone 3gs, I also have an iPhone 3gs that is jailbroken using spirit and running 3.13 and is unlocked. Any chance that her phone could utilize what is on my phone somehow to make the restore process easier?

Any tips are appreciated. I am really sorry to bother you with this but hoping you can help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joletzring For This Useful Post:

kyteflyer (2010-06-25)

Quote Originally Posted by Joletzring View Post
    My understanding is that Apple is no longer signing for 3.13 so you have to trick itunes to point it to the Cydia server.
    Ahhhhh! Thanks for this comment. It explains why I could not restore to a clean 3.1.3 before my upgrade (and now I want to downgrade so more researching to be done)

[edit - automerged doublepost which is a royal pain because there was a LONG time between the first and second posts] Now that I have altered my hosts file, and have researched enough to know to do NOTHING until I can confirm which bootrom I have... I've not yet been able to find out how to get this information on a macintosh. Hope someone can give instructions a two year old could work with.

{edit #2] Never mind, I followed the windows instructions but looked in system profiler, which has established that I have the older bootrom so it looks like I'm good to go.
    Last edited by kyteflyer; 2010-06-26 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost