Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak OTB 3GS Old Boot Rom 3.1.3 For Upgrade to Custom 4.0

Default Jailbreak OTB 3GS Old Boot Rom 3.1.3 For Upgrade to Custom 4.0
    Hi everybody!

It's pretty much what the title said. Here is my scenario:

1. I have an iPhone 3GS w/ the old bootroom (iboot 359.3) which has the stock 3.1.3
    Goal: I want to jailbreak it without using Spirit because the phone has the old boot rom so I can update the phone to custom/jailbroken iOS 4.0

Can I jailbreak the old boot rom 3gs with stock 3.1.3 firmware without Spirit?

2. What IF I jailbreak the above mentioned phone with Spirit. Go to Cydia to upload my 3.1.3 SHSH. Once Cydia confirm that my SHSH on the server, I could restore my phone to "custom/jailbroken" 3.1.3 that was created by Sn0wbreeze. Then upgrade the phone to a Custom/Jailbroken iOS 4.0

What is wrong with my scenario? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Wait for the new 4.0 jailbreak that doesn't require a restore.

Other than that Spirit is your only option.

p.s. you can't get 3.1.3 SHSH files anymore.

Yes, I kinda found out myself after I posted this that Spirit is the ONLY option for stock 3.1.3....sad

Stock 3.1.3 = Spirit = No Custom 4.0 (Regardless of boot rom)

Thanks Simtech for the input!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

same boat my friend
    we just have to wait...

Same here

Anyone got a rough idea when the new jailbreak will be out?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hope its this weekend.
    they will get the iphone 4 JB'ed to make sure it works and then they will release a Full Jailbreak and Unlock for all.

Default 3gs
    Hello all,

I have a 3gs version 3.01 (7A400) with a model number MC138LL. Modem firmware 4.26.08. Does that mean I'm in the same boat as the rest of you? It's already jailbroken and unlocked. How likely is it that we'll eventually be able to upgrade to an unlocked 4.0? Thanks.

Sava66,

All you have to do is to recover your phone to a "custom/jailbroken" 4.0 firmware. Then, use Cydia to download ultrasn0w to unlock your new jailbroken 4.0. Make sure that your 3GS has the old bootrom (iboot 359.3).

To check you bootrom:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Check the Bootrom Version of Your iPhone (Windows) (Windows)

iClarified - iPhone - How to Check the Bootrom Version of Your iPhone (Mac) (Mac)

If you have Mac, then you can use Pwnage tool 4.0 to create the custom firmware.

Instruction here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.0]

If you have a Windows, you can use sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 to create the custom firmware. Do a search on youtube to find instruction on how to use sn0wbreeze.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakroval View Post
    Yes, I kinda found out myself after I posted this that Spirit is the ONLY option for stock 3.1.3....sad

Stock 3.1.3 = Spirit = No Custom 4.0 (Regardless of boot rom)

Thanks Simtech for the input!
    You can indeed jailbreak to 4.0 on a 3GS 3.1.3 (old bootrom) spirit jailbroken phone. Just follow these instructions.

This tutorial is only recommended for experienced users.

Requirements:

3GS iPhone with Old iBoot

This file spirit2pwn_r2.zip( http://code.google.com/p/iphone-img3...downloads/list )

STEPS:

If you've upgraded your iPhone 3G to iOS4, you have to do a downgrade to 3.1.3. This is only possible if you've saved the ECID locally or Saurik servers, and if you're still in the IOS 3.1.3 you must store the certificate through Cydia. If the device is updated to original 3.1.3 you should run the jailbreak with Spirit, if this procedure has already been done before with other programs is not a problem.

Will first be necessary to create a custom firmware 3.1.3 using PwnageTool Mac or Sn0wBreeze Windows.
    Just as we proceed to create a custom firmware 4.0 with the appropriate versions of the programs ( PwnageTool - Sn0wBreeze ).
    Open Cydia and install the following packages: Afc2Add, OpenSSH and mobile terminal.
    Restart the iPhone.
    Now go to the directory where you saved the custom firmware 3.1.3 and change the extension. IPSW to. ZIP and unzip the file you just created.
    Once finished, open the folder indicated by the name of the firmware and placed in Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production and move all the files in the / tmp directory on your iPhone using an SSH connection.
    Decompression spirit2pwn_r2.zip the previously downloaded file, and once again move all the files in the directory / tmp on your iPhone.
    Run on the iPhone Mobile Terminal and type these commands:
    su root
    Alpine (your password)
    cd / tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    When the process really SUCCEED.

Restart your iPhone.

You can now restore the custom firmware with PwnageTool 4.0 or Sn0wBreeze created earlier.

Just found this on another forum and tried it myself with my 3GS on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit. Now I have a 3GS jailbroken on 4.0.
    Last edited by KiDFuZioN; 2010-06-27 at 03:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KiDFuZioN For This Useful Post:

ahonamous (2010-06-28)

I just followed the instruction. It works perfectly.

Here is the correct link: Downloads - iphone-img3-flasher - Project Hosting on Google Code

"Once finished, open the folder indicated by the name of the firmware and placed in Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production and move all the files TO the / tmp directory on your iPhone using an SSH connection.
    Decompression spirit2pwn_r2.zip the previously downloaded file, and once again move all the files from spirit2pwn_r2 TO the directory / tmp on your iPhone.

Run on the iPhone MobileTerminal and type these commands:

su root

Alpine (your password)

./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh

Wait until you it says Success or something similar. Then reboot your phone.

well, i checked under settings - about, and it shows my iphone as MC131BZ. As far as idiots can read, i have an MC model. right?

Serial number first 5 characters: 83936. 4th and 5th digits: 36. So, this is under 41 or 45 or whatever... so, old bootrom?

When i go to system prefs, usb... etc etc (ipone in DFU mode) it reads: "SRTG:[iBoot-359.3]". I read in forums that 359.3.2 is the new one, right? So, 359.3 is the old bootrom.

could anyone explain how it this possible?

Forget the model number MC or not, as long as you have the iboot 359.3, then you have an old boot rom. Follow the instruction I posted above from iClarified to confirm your bootrom.

If you're on stock 3.1.3, then jailbreak it with Spirit and follow the above instruction to upgrade to a jailbroken/custom 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by KiDFuZioN View Post
    You can indeed jailbreak to 4.0 on a 3GS 3.1.3 (old bootrom) spirit jailbroken phone. Just follow these instructions.

So would this put us on the official "pwned train" or would we still be the red-headed step child that used Spirit to Jailbreak?

If your on an old boot rom, and still on 3.*, couldn't you just use a custom ipsw to 3.0, then restore up to 4.0?
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    If your on an old boot rom, and still on 3.*, couldn't you just use a custom ipsw to 3.0, then restore up to 4.0?
    Ummm redn0w will JB the 3.*. Then after it JB's. U can then DL a custom 4.0 firmware and restore back to that. Then u will be JB and unlocked on 4.0.

redsn0w doesn't require a system restore like PwnageTool does (it doesn't even use iTunes at all). On the other hand, PwnageTool can prevent your baseband from being upgraded when you upgrade your firmware, preserving your unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by l0k0 View Post
    Ummm redn0w will JB the 3.*. Then after it JB's. U can then DL a custom 4.0 firmware and restore back to that. Then u will be JB and unlocked on 4.0.

redsn0w doesn't require a system restore like PwnageTool does (it doesn't even use iTunes at all). On the other hand, PwnageTool can prevent your baseband from being upgraded when you upgrade your firmware, preserving your unlock.
    Didn't remember if redsn0w worked on 3.1.3 with the 3gs

I always thought it did, if you pointed it at the 3.1.2 firmware,

But apparently a few other people say spirit is the only 3.1.3 3gs jailbreak...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KiDFuZioN View Post

Requirements:

3GS iPhone with Old iBoot

This file spirit2pwn_r2.zip( Downloads - iphone-img3-flasher - Project Hosting on Google Code )

STEPS:

If you've upgraded your iPhone 3G to iOS4, you have to do a downgrade to 3.1.3. This is only possible if you've saved the ECID locally or Saurik servers, and if you're still in the IOS 3.1.3 you must store the certificate through Cydia. If the device is updated to original 3.1.3 you should run the jailbreak with Spirit, if this procedure has already been done before with other programs is not a problem.

Will first be necessary to create a custom firmware 3.1.3 using PwnageTool Mac or Sn0wBreeze Windows.
    Just as we proceed to create a custom firmware 4.0 with the appropriate versions of the programs ( PwnageTool - Sn0wBreeze ).
    Open Cydia and install the following packages: Afc2Add, OpenSSH and mobile terminal.
    Restart the iPhone.
    Now go to the directory where you saved the custom firmware 3.1.3 and change the extension. IPSW to. ZIP and unzip the file you just created.
    Once finished, open the folder indicated by the name of the firmware and placed in Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production and move all the files in the / tmp directory on your iPhone using an SSH connection.
    Decompression spirit2pwn_r2.zip the previously downloaded file, and once again move all the files in the directory / tmp on your iPhone.
    Run on the iPhone Mobile Terminal and type these commands:
    su root
    Alpine (your password)
    cd / tmp
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    When the process really SUCCEED.

Restart your iPhone.

You can now restore the custom firmware with PwnageTool 4.0 or Sn0wBreeze created earlier.

Just found this on another forum and tried it myself with my 3GS on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit. Now I have a 3GS jailbroken on 4.0.
    I can confirm, this works to bring 3.1.3 old bootrom non-JB to 4.0 JB.. Thanks!! I am also guessing, but I don't know how to verify, that this will put a user back on the "pwned train" because the pwned tool version of 4.0 is re-installed on the phone.

Thank all of you for this such big help! yay! lol
    Confirmed Jailbroken Iphone 3gs MC model (iboot 359.3) on 4.0 as posted on last page!

Last edited by gustavocvlho; 2010-06-28 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added picture

Quote Originally Posted by ahonamous View Post
    I can confirm, this works to bring 3.1.3 old bootrom non-JB to 4.0 JB.. Thanks!! I am also guessing, but I don't know how to verify, that this will put a user back on the "pwned train" because the pwned tool version of 4.0 is re-installed on the phone.
    Yes I do believe that this puts you back on the "pwned train" because I tried restoring again to the custom iOS4 firmware and it accepted it without issue after putting the phone in recovery mode.

i've updated my jailbroken iPhone 3GS with old iboot (i got 3.1.2 untethered) to official iOS 4.0. Now i've downgraded it back to 3.1.2 using saurik server and after error 1015 i've used blackra1n so i'm hacktivated and i have cydia now. I've added repo iWOOWIZ Repo and i've installed Spirit2Pwn. Then i've tryied restoring custom iOS 4.0 image and i keep getting error 1600 while restoring and i have to restore it back to 3.1.2.

Any solution?

My iPhone is factory unlocked so i don't care about bb version.

EDIT:

ok, problem sloved, just dont put your iphone in DFU if you're back on 3.1.2/3.1.3. Just click restore on powered on phone and select custom 4.0 ;-)
    Last edited by Br0k3R; 2010-07-03 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast