Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3Gs (GUIDE)

Thumbs up How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3Gs (GUIDE)
    This solution perfectly worked for me:

Bypassing the Overlord
    覧覧覧覧覧
    1. Open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Restore
    覧-
    2. Connect your iPhone to the USB and put it into DFU mode. iTunes will display an alert stating you need to restore your device, click ok then hold option + click restore and navigate to your previously downloaded 3.1.2 FW.

3. After the restore finishes you should be hit with a 1015 error. That痴 expected. Your phone should be in Recovery mode now and iTunes will tell you to restore again. Click OK then hold option + click on restore again this time you do not have to go into DFU mode and navigate to the 3.1.2 FW.

Jailbreak
    覧蘭
    4. After the restore finishes again it値l throw another 1015 error. That痴 expected again. This time, just select OK and close iTunes. Fire up redsn0w make sure it痴 the 0.9.4 version and jailbreak as normal. Uncheck all the ticks while jailbreaking.

5. After the jailbreak is finalized your device should reboot and strange enough you successfully downgraded to 3.1.2.

Heaps of ipsw available here
    http://www.*****************/showthread.php?t=3306

(NOTE: I DIDN'T WRITE THIS GUIDE I GOT IT FROM A COMMENT BOX AT THIS LINK, Downgrade iPhone 3G & 3GS From iOS 4 To 3.1.2 )

So if you're having trouble doing it then this should help you out . Peace.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tbdsonicx2 For This Useful Post:

gobol (2010-06-25)

error 3194 for me

error 3194 for me as well

try disabling any real time anti virus file protection and then editing the hosts file. worked for me this way. I was getting the 3194 error before i did this too.

I try to save it in the host file and it says I do not have permission.How do I give myself permission. Thanks

AV disabled, still getting 3194.

Quote Originally Posted by bpo157 View Post
    I try to save it in the host file and it says I do not have permission.How do I give myself permission. Thanks
    Depending on your OS, you need to right click on notepad the run as administrator then navigate to the host file, you should then be able to save the file.

perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.......

Perhaps I should be trying to get the VPN to work under OS4.0?

I think I've probably crapped out on restoring to 3.1.3 as I did not save a shsh or something????

Heck, I dunno, I'm a Windows man and new to these iPhone / Apple stuff.

If you didn't save you shsh, ithink it's pretty impossible to downgrade. Sorry

I am running the snow leopard 10.6.4. I don't think I have note pad. I think its called text edit.Or how do I get to note pad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbdsonicx2 View Post
    Jailbreak
    ———–
    4. After the restore finishes again it’ll throw another 1015 error. That’s expected again. This time, just select OK and close iTunes. Fire up redsn0w – make sure it’s the 0.9.4 version – and jailbreak as normal. Uncheck all the ticks while jailbreaking.
    So i got all the steps down as you said and even got the error code 1015, almost had it... Except I got stuck in the 'pineaple running' & the blue loading bar got as far as the "Installing Activation Bundles" in between the 'nd' of 'bundle'. Went for 7min then it crashed and went back to restore mode

1) I clicked the wrong choice when it asked me if i had newer or older 3GS (bootrom). Couldn't check as it was no use to go to settings & find the info... But I had it connected before and the IBoot-359.3 which is older version 3GS although mine is on iOS 4. I had selected NO so was i suppose to check yes?!?

2) Also what exactly do you mean by "Uncheck all the ticks while jailbreaking" huh?? Please tell me. Do you mean uncheck all these options? Even cydia? Like did you uncheck all these options

I'm gonna answer a couple questions and untrue statements from this whole thread...

(1) I forgot to add that you are supposed to edit the host file (that's 100% necessary and yea if you're not the only user or the admin of your computer you need to right click on the file and run it as an administrator)

(2) You in no way needed to have saved your ssh, you just set your iphone or ipod touch into DFU mode then do as the guide says... and you'll be downgraded in no time (MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING 3.1.2 OFFICIAL FIRMWARE)

(3) I used BlackRa1n to JAILBREAK and Ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Like I said I didn't write this guide, but to answer your question about unticking everything, just keep cydia ticked, but remember I used BlackRa1n because redsn0w was giving me problems.

Also yea to edit the file all you need to do is change it to a txt document (for windows anyway) and the way you do that is... Go to any folder, then tools, then folder options, view tab, and uncheck (hide extensions for known file types.)
    Last edited by tbdsonicx2; 2010-06-24 at 04:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpo157 View Post
    JUST USE TextEdit you'll be fine. Open the file from /etc/ and save it once editing it with Cydia server thingy, if it says you can't, try saving it again but this time relocate that file to your desktop!! Then grab that file & drop it into your /etc/ folder & overwrite it if needed. Same solution for windows if not letting you save.
    Also i believe you have to uncheck something about .txt file in Mac. try this step twice if it doesn't work right when its checked.

Certain files like that that grant you administration access don't unusually let you overwrite 'em even if you provided a password or whatever. Quick fix is to save it to another location & then just swap that into its folder. Also i usually advice backing up original file, just in case something goes bad, ya know? just my thing

Hope it helps!

iPhone? More like MyPhone loocfa's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this matter what build number or boot you have, or weather you used sprint or not?did see anything mentioning this. Fyi I have 3gs 3.1.3 sprint jb serial no. 32, model MC
    (I'm not a noob, I've read tons of posts on this and sprint seemed to be a tricky one) thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Never mind, got it to work, it was the whole LATEST 3GS VERSION had to pick yes cause of the iOS 4 baseband i suppose?

Also when you downgrade; if anyone is curious, you keep your current baseband (iOS 4 5.13.04), but still manage to go down firmwares. I wonder if this would work for 3.1.3? Not like I really want to go up but its pretty interesting if it would of worked using 3.1.3 instead.... anyone willing to give it a shot?

Well I now got a iPhone 3GS 32gb that I got for $300 on iOS 4 to downgrade to jailbroken 3.1.2 & soon to be unlocked by ultrasn0w! So happy its all done through Dev Team tools don't like using anything else for my iDevices.

Anyone need any help let me know just PM me and I'll try and assist! Took me 4-6hrs cause i researched and did a bunch of different tests/attempt's. Good luck everyone!

Also since we added that Cydia server code to read off theirs instead of Apples restore server... Would it be okay to still use/leave it there? Like i jailbreak other peoples iphones don't want to have a hassle if I can't use it beacause I can only downgrade... let me know! That would be very appreciated
    Last edited by MexiChriS; 2010-06-24 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried downgrading to 3.1.3, but i got an error and i also tried restoring from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, but i was unsuccessful.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbdsonicx2 View Post
    I tried downgrading to 3.1.3, but i got an error and i also tried restoring from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, but i was unsuccessful.
    Well what error code did you get!? And i don't think you should have restored from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 ....I think after the downgrade route, if possible for some users, is to jailbreak to current iOS 4. As I think it has to due the whole Apple signing the restore signatures (whatever there called) which is why you couldn't restore to from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3; they stopped signing them.

Getting 3194 error.
    Last edited by y0ungSir; 2010-06-25 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiChriS View Post
    Well what error code did you get!? And i don't think you should have restored from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 ....I think after the downgrade route, if possible for some users, is to jailbreak to current iOS 4. As I think it has to due the whole Apple signing the restore signatures (whatever there called) which is why you couldn't restore to from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3; they stopped signing them.

Hey Chris,

I am getting error 3194.. I patched the hosts file and everything, iPhone is in DFU mode (screen is blank) But every time I restore to 3.1.2 or even 3.1.3 i get error 3194

-3GS (I believe MC model)
    -tried on windows and mac

Quote Originally Posted by MexiChriS View Post
    Never mind, got it to work, it was the whole LATEST 3GS VERSION had to pick yes cause of the iOS 4 baseband i suppose?

Also when you downgrade; if anyone is curious, you keep your current baseband (iOS 4 5.13.04), but still manage to go down firmwares. I wonder if this would work for 3.1.3? Not like I really want to go up but its pretty interesting if it would of worked using 3.1.3 instead.... anyone willing to give it a shot?

Well I now got a iPhone 3GS 32gb that I got for $300 on iOS 4 to downgrade to jailbroken 3.1.2 & soon to be unlocked by ultrasn0w! So happy its all done through Dev Team tools don't like using anything else for my iDevices.

Anyone need any help let me know just PM me and I'll try and assist! Took me 4-6hrs cause i researched and did a bunch of different tests/attempt's. Good luck everyone!

Also since we added that Cydia server code to read off theirs instead of Apples restore server... Would it be okay to still use/leave it there? Like i jailbreak other peoples iphones don't want to have a hassle if I can't use it beacause I can only downgrade... let me know! That would be very appreciated
    I actually used 3.1.3 instead of 3.1.2 because that wouldn't work. However, I don't know how I would jailbreak it since I don't think I should use Red Snow with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast