Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: **HOW TO jailbreak 3[GS] on 4.0 official using ANY FIRMWARE

Does upgrading to 4.0 from 3.1.2 through iTunes change the bootrom?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ja1rpez View Post
    where can i download the 4.0 jailbroken firmware
    Download Pwnage 4.0 and create one yourself, it is not difficult. If you are a window user, install Vmware and install snow leopard for Workstation and you can create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by trj111 View Post
    Does upgrading to 4.0 from 3.1.2 through iTunes change the bootrom?
    No, it doesn't change your bootrom status

Quote Originally Posted by onyolife View Post
    First, I would like to thank the OP for the helpful information. I successfully downgrade my oldboot 3GS from 4.0 to 3.1.2, got error 1015, ran blackra1n and go out of the loop, googled for a custom 3GS 4.0 firmware and found one that hopefully is the right one. Now, I am a windows user and have one more question that I could not determine through reading this thread several times. Do I place my phone into DFU mode and then restore to the custom firmware using iTunes, or is there a program that i need to use (aka pwnage tool which is for mac). Simple question right. Thanks for any clear responses.
    If your Iphone is in working condition, you do not need to put it in Recovery or Dfu mode.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-24 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is what I did step by step:

(Noted: iPhone 3gs (Old Bootrom) running Official 4.0 on Windows Vista with SHSH Blobs 3.1.2, 3.1.3 stored in Cydia)

1. Added host #
    2. Shift + Restore to 3.1.2
    3. Received Error 1015
    4. Ran Blackra1n (downloaded from original website)
    5. Set phone up as new, ran Cydia and did complete upgrade
    6. Clicked Shift + Restore to 4.0 Custom Firmware (googled firmware)
    7. Restored from Last known 4.0 Backup (with all my latest photos)
    8. And Wala Jailbroken 4.0 3GS!!!

BTW... DFU mode was never used
    Last edited by Bears_Fan; 2010-06-24 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added

this is something old... what about ppl that don't have shsh for 3.1.2 ??

Ok, might need some help. My 3Gs is running 4.0. I had to exchange my launch 3Gs at apple a few months ago due to a problem, and was given a new one. I wasn't sure if it was old or new bootrom, so I just used spirit to jailbreak. When I opened Cydia in 3.1.3, it said on top that my SHSH was on file, although I don't remember clicking it. I did find out it was the old bootrom before upgrading to 4.0. Now, I'm trying to downgrade, and iTunes is giving me error 3194. I've edited the hosts file and tried 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 Both same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chg128 View Post
    how to Point your hosts file to the Cydia Server? i m new about this thing...
    Me too - I can't find \etc\hosts - I'm a little confused. Please help.
    Thanks!

CWINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Look for the file "hosts", open it with notepad.

Quote Originally Posted by jbou91 View Post
    C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc

Look for the file "hosts", open it with notepad.
    Sorry... I'm a Mac... any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by tom28 View Post
    No sorry, not familiar with Mac's

I could use a hand, I downgraded my 3gs to 3.1.2 got error 1015 in itunes and now its stuck in recovery mode. I try to run blackra1n but I get this error "This application has failed to start because ASL.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

So now I am stuck.

Edit: Nevermind, google is my friend. Didnt know I needed to move blackra1n into the apple folder to get it to work.
    Last edited by GhStRdR2k; 2010-06-24 at 09:21 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom28 View Post
    1st) Navigate to Finder, Click to select Go to Folder… from the Go menu and Enter /etc into the input field and click the Go button.
    2nd) Now look for hosts file, right click on hosts file and open with Text Edit, and add the following entry 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the bottom of the file.
    NOTE: not sure, but maybe, you might have to add another "/" at the end of /etc into input field; so like this /etc/

I hope that helps you out, if not, sorry but good luck my friend!

So after 1.5 hours, with much pain, 64 bit being the root of it all, I now own an iphone 3Gs with a jailbroken 4.0!
    How's the cydia compatibility with this new firmware?
    I'm going to guess not great, but just thought I'd ask

just tried to JB with snowbreeze and got error 1600 in itunes and I cant get my phone to turn back on...
    Last edited by GhStRdR2k; 2010-06-24 at 10:35 AM.

Hey Guys,

I'm kinda new to that JB thing and I was hoping to find some answers for my questions in this thread..

I did some research and tried a lot of different methods to jailbreak my iphone, but unfortunately none worked for me.

SO first of all, I go an iPhone 3GS and i guess its one of the older ones, looking at the serial number.
    I had 3.1.2 firmware and blackrain jailbreak one it and it worked just fine.

But the day before yesterday was kind of odd. I kept loosing my internet connection and when my iphone was searching for the connection, it awefully slowed down. Thats why i decided to reboot.
    Unfortunately it froze at the apple logo. Even after resetting it, it kept doing this over and over again, so i tried to restore it via itunes, which did not really work, because it said my device would not be eligable for a firmware update.

I then updated my itunes to v9.2 and downloaded the new ios4. created a custom firmware with pwnage tool and tried to restore, but i kept getting errors at this point.
    So I updated my iphone to factory ios4 and crossed my fingers. But after that I still got errors (1600).

Now I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 via sauriks server, edited the hosts file. But I guess i don't have an SHSH file saved there, because itunes me, that my iphone would not be eligable for restore.

So I'm stuck in restore mode.

Is there any way I can make my iphone work again?

I would really apperciate any suggestions.

OK, got 4.0 installed and cydia, but my phone is not activated. how can I get it activated?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

im a little confused my is 3.1.3. model is mb not mc.serial number is 5k0040. im told from another thread on here that they dont know if thats old bootrom or new one.

i jailbroke with spirit. and when i open cydia it says this device has SHSH on file for o.s. 3.1.3.

will this work for me or do i have to wait? i think i included all the info.

oh i am a windows 7 user. i am not a longtime iphone user so be gentle lol

do you have shsh ?
    I dont. is there another way?

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    simply upgrade to a Pwned 4.0 FW.
    And how do you find/make a Pwnd 4.0 FW?

how to Point your hosts file to the Cydia Server? i m new about this thing...
    Have a look at the guides on this topic, they give a full tutorial on everytinh you need to know

However if you're running newer firmware it doesn't appear to work...
    Bummer, I had high hopes of running 4.0 JB. It's really nice, but I need my MyWi back.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast