Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help in downgrading from 4.0

Default Help in downgrading from 4.0
    So I made the mistake of updating my IPHONE 3gs to OS 4.0 and I've been researching and found out I can manually recover OS 3.1.2 so that I can jailbreak and unlock my phone to have it work again. However when I download the ispw and try to manually restore to 3.1.2 apple won't let me! help please

i think the only way is if you had your shsh files saved remotely or in cydia.

Everytime I entered Cydia it told me there was an SHSH file saved, multiple infact. I have done the same as the OP. Any ideas how to downgrade?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Have you tried re-pointing your gs.apple.com to Saurik's server?

iJake. Literally just did that and have managed to get downgraded, phone is currently installing "activation bundles" so I'll see how it goes from there.

Great, after all that now stuck on activating bundles -.-
    Last edited by Sparkesj; 2010-06-22 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i don't know what an shsh file is. from what i researched apple basically doesn't give you permission to access older OS such as 3.1.2 anymore because you're now running on a higher baseband. what do i do?! i never saved my shsh with cydia and now that i'm on OS 4.0 i can't get cydia cause there is no jailbreak for my 3gs yet i need the jailbreak so that i can unlock! :'(
    Last edited by wezlikedis; 2010-06-22 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I too was interested in downgrading from 4.0 to 3.1.3 is it possible?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    I too was interested in downgrading from 4.0 to 3.1.3 is it possible?
    I know its possible and is really really easy if you have 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 or anything 3.x hashed via cydia? How you ask?

Follow my guide

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...-tutorial.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bondkt For This Useful Post:

bobright (2010-06-22)

I have the same issue

I have iPhone 3GS with 4.0 release and baseband 05.13.04

i have no backup of SHSH or anything else from prior versions. I thought i may be able to unlock and jailbreak phone by downgrading to 3.1.3, and I followed the guides to do that using Sauriks server although iTunes 9.2 still tells me that I am not able to downgrade.

is there a clear set of instructions for those that do not have SHSH backups and are running 4.0 to either unlock/jb 4.0 directly, or downgrade to 3.1.3 and then unlock/jailbreak that with the latest baseband?

thanks so much ..

Thanks

Yah'll can use umbrella to get your 3.1.3 SHSH off apple server but noone knows how long they'll be signing them so I'd suggest to hurry up..

cid - tried your suggestion and installed TinyUmbrella. Unfortunately it tells me that it cannot create the shsh for 3.1.3 (missed the boat). Again this goes back to my point that I have already upgraded my phone to the 4.0 release, and now trying to downgrade without any prior SHSH ..

any suggestions on how to do this, or jailbreak a 3GS with 4.0 already installed and no prior SHSH would be MUCH appreciated as I am in europe for a month and dont want to get charged $20/mb by the AT&T ripoffs.

Curious, why the urge to downgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    Curious, why the urge to downgrade?
    simple - my understanding is that redsn0w does not jailbreak 3GS phones with 4.0 yet (certainly when I tried it remained stuck on 'waiting for iPhone to reboot').

So the only option appears to downgrade the 3GS to 3.1.3, then jailbreak and activate that. Unless I am missing something (i hope ..)

i've been researching at work since i can't fix my phone at the moment - my general inclination from what i read is to dl 3.1.3 ispw and restore the phone. then jailbreak with spirit (i don't know if this will work because i have the new baseband now: 5.13.04). then unlock using ultrasn0w (the new version apparently unlocks everything). i've yet to try it so if you do and it works please let me know! when i try to downgrade to 3.1.2 apple didn't let me because they stopped signing it. i'm phoneless!! :'(

Thanks

it does work, ive teied it on a 3GS personaly. do you have 3.1.3 hashed via cydia? and yeah it will work with the new baseband

I don't have anything at all. I was running 3.1.2 prior using blackra1n. I know nothing about SHSH. I checked out your tutorial too, when I restore to 3.1.3 am I going to have the error pop up? I know once I get it jailbroken according to the dev team baseband won't matter for unlock - it's just the jailbreak part that's screwing me over cause OS 4 doesn't have one for 3gs yet. Thanks for your input.

IPHONE 3GS
    OS 4.0
    BB:5.13.04

Thanks

when you restore to 3.1.2 (also try 3.1.2!!!!!!!) you want error 1015.

if you get 'this is not supported' then you know you don't have an shsh on file for that firmware, so try the next