Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Ultimate Downgrade Tutorial

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default The Ultimate Downgrade Tutorial
    The easiest way is to use tiny umbrella, found at the link below. Only use this old guide if it does not work

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

DISCLAIMER: It is not my fault if your phone explodes or anything else happens to it. I didn't make quickpwn, that honor goes to the Dev-Team. All I am doing it showing you the easiest way to downgrade. Good Luck!

Need more help? check out the Q&A section at the end of the guide or follow me on Twitter!

Table of contents:

INTRO

Requirements
    INSTRUCTIONS
    USEFUL DOWNLOADS
    QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

INTRO

This is only for people that have there SHSH(s) hashed by Cydia.
    This works for firmwares 3.0.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1 and 4.2.1.

THIS DOES NOT DOWNGRADE YOUR BASEBAND, AND NOTHING WILL ATM.

NOTE: THERE ARE A FEW USEFUL Sections AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST. Check them out!

Requirements

An iPhone 3GS\4 that you want to downgrade that is currently running 4.3, 4.2.1, 4.1, 4.0.1 4.0, 3.1.3, 3.1.2 or 3.0.1.

Windows XP or Vista or 7

The firmware you wish to downgrade to (download links in guide)

iTunes 9-9.2 (iTunes 10\10.x may work, but i have not tested)

Follow the instructions below (READ THEM BEFORE YOU DO THEM) and see if they solve your problem.

The Instructions

omg omg really simple here we go here we go:

0. Zero off, make sure you are trying to get back to 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1.2, or 3.1.3. You can be at 4.0 trying to go back to 3.1.3, 3.1.2 to 3.0 or whatever. Just make sure the desired firmware you want to go back to is hashed via Cydia.

1. First off, your going to want to download the firmware you want to restore to. All of the firmwares can be downloaded from HERE While it downloads, READ THE REST OF THE TUTORIAL BEFORE GOING ON.

2. Plug in your iDevice. In iTunes, hold shift then click 'restore'. Locate the firmware you just downloaded and let the restore begin.

3. After a bit, you should get error 1015. If you get ANYTHING else, try the process again.

Close iTunes but Leave the iphone plugged in with connect to itunes screen showing.

2. Download this old quickpwn from EITHER website:

Medifire OR MegaUpload

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH SITE YOU CHOOSE, THEY BOTH HAVE THE QUICKPWN NEEDED.

(Thanks bigtony423 for the idea to add an extra link)

3. Extract Quickpwn (free extractor) BUT DO NOT RUN IT. This is where it can get a bit tricky, so pay attention.

Navigate to:

32-bit windows: C: \Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

64-bit windows: C: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

You should no see a whole lot of files and folders...good! Now right click and create a new folder called 'bin' (yes no caps, just bin). Drag everything you see in the \Mobile Device Support folder into the bin folder. You should now only have a 'bin' folder in \Mobile Device Support folder. Good! This was done so quickpwn can work with the latest iTunes versions (9+).

4. Run quickpwn. After opening quickpwn, you get a box on your computer screen saying something like 'your phone needs to be powered on, please hold the home button and sleep\wake button for 15 seconds'. Just do what the box says says- EXACTLY. When you see the apple logo on your phone, close quickpwn.*

*****CLOSE QUICKPWN, IT IS NOT USED TO JAILBREAK.*****

5. Your phone should now boot normally.

6. This step is extremely important if you don't want to re-install iTunes! Remember that bin folder we made? yeah... iTunes wont work right until you undo what we did. So cut everything in the 'bin' folder you put in earlier, place everything back into the \Mobile Device Support folder (where the bin folder is). After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the \Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

** You may need to open task manager [ctrl + alt + del] and end some/all Apple Processes to be able to delete the 'bin' folder. If you do end these processes, restart your computer after deleting the bin folder in order restart them (so your iphone will be able to sync with iTunes etc).

THANKS archaeoman!

7. You are now free to jailbreak.

(aim redsn0w at 3.0 FW after restoring to 3.0.1

3.1.2/3.1.3

Your set! huzzah!

USEFUL DOWNLOADS:

Free extracter (7-Zip): 7-Zip, an open source Windows utility for manipulating archives.

Iphone firmware downloads: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Jailbreakers:

Redsn0w for 3.0/3.0.1

Spirit for 3.1.2/3.1.3

_

teamveiwer download, just in case you need some more help. PM me your numbers: windows download here --- Mac download here

Questions & Answers

Q: I still can't do it. Can you help me more?

A: yes I can! I can teamveiw (windows download here) (Mac download here) you (allows me to see your computer), and get get things going on the right track for you. The software is 100% safe, and you could stop me at anytime. We would also have an instant messaging box going at the same time. If you tried the above and it failed you, PM ME your numbers (DO NOT POST THEM)
    _

Q: Does quickpwn work for a mac?

A: No. If your trying to get back to 3.0 restore to 3.0 then use Blackra1n. If your restoring back to 3.1.2\3.1.3, try Spirit.
    _

Q: I can't open quickpwn, wtf?

A: use a extractor to extract it, then try opening it.

Make sure you followed step 3 (then step 6 once your phone boots)
    _

Q: quickpwn gives me a 'firmware corrupt' message?

A: You are trying to jailbreak with quickpwn, and that can't be done anymore. After your phone boots normally, you should close quickpwn, then use one of the jailbreak methods listed in step 7.

Questions, comments, complaints?

post 'em.

kyle (bondkt)
    Last edited by bondkt; 2011-01-21 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Updated for ios 4.0.1 and 4.1. Mac tutorial still in progress

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to bondkt For This Useful Post:

abnerpr (2010-07-12), angela2k1 (2010-07-10), bigtony423 (2010-06-23), bobdole3141 (2010-07-03), cs_snow (2010-07-25), djerrol (2010-06-25), edisinger (2011-02-06), ephdub (2010-06-25), Ethanolic (2010-06-29), Fireman999 (2010-07-24), gambiboss (2011-03-27), icepick4u (2010-06-27), junyamint (2010-07-25), kheavy (2010-07-13), leofezollari (2011-01-24), mastaryan (2010-06-24), Newbee123 (2010-07-08), pratstercs (2010-07-05), SpiritStealer (2010-07-31), t.j (2010-06-24), Tamkis (2010-08-04), tizzer (2010-07-01), Tony S. (2010-07-11), wim66 (2010-06-22), youngunn (2010-08-14)

Hi my 3GS 3.1.2(7D11) is in DFU mode (not restore mode, no connect to iTunes screen) and can't get it out of this mode. Can I use this method? and how?

Thanks

Need 3.1.2 hashed to use this method, sorry.

is there any way to unlock the 3gs with the upgraded baseband? regardless of whether or not you downgrade the iphone firmware?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mengniu View Post
    Hi my 3GS 3.1.2(7D11) is in DFU mode (not restore mode, no connect to iTunes screen) and can't get it out of this mode. Can I use this method? and how?
    Hi,
    you don't say HOW you got stuck in DFU mode, normally a hard-reboot (power+home buttons pressed until the apple appears) does the work.

In case it happened while Spirit-jailbreak, stay unplugged.
    Be patient for a couple of hours - in the worst case - and retry hard-rebooting from time to time.
    It will reboot when done, it's just a slowdown, not a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by shariatoman View Post
    is there any way to unlock the 3gs with the upgraded baseband? regardless of whether or not you downgrade the iphone firmware?
    Look here : iPhone & iTouch Jailbreak / Unlock Matrix | jailbreakmatrix.com
    Last edited by Rocky34; 2010-06-21 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LiveClock Shiny Apple Theme, including LiveClock Dark - hmm, candlelight... - is on Cydia
    . . . . . . . (On iPhone 4 you'll have to put both out of their "Themes"-folder. Sorry for that)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky34 For This Useful Post:

shariatoman (2010-06-21)

Exclamation dump wifisync
    also make sure you uninstall wifisync, if you use it. your restore may hang at what appears to be 99%, just prior to where it usually goes on to "verifying"

I am getting an error: does not match firmware version, corrupted or version unsupported. Ive tried 3.1.2 and 3.1.3

Thanks

try redownloading the firmware you got that it said was coruppted. the one that says its unsupported means cydia didn't hash it and you can't resore to it. also did you edit your host file?

but yea re dl the one thats un supported from the download link in guide

Question. I followed this guide which generated the error. Do I need to remove that fake server from the host file before using the method you spell out here?? Thanks.

Thanks

no the server should always remain. Cydia has 3.1.2 or 23.1.3 hashed right?

I had both hashed but 3.1.2 didn't work. I just tried 3.1.3 and never got the 1015 error :-) Restored and syncing as I type. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Coooooool beans!

Congrats, anytime=p

Ok I dont get this,

"INTRO

This is only for people that have there SHSH's hashed by Cydia. "

What do you mean by that ? How do I know that I have SHSH in Cydia ? Just bought this 3GS 32gb os 4.0/baseband 5.13.04..Im trying to downgrade to 3.1.3 so I can jailbreak with spirit but after I followed your guide its still in 4.0 version. What am I missing here ?

Thanks,

Andy

BTW, I found that I could not delete the temp bin file without closing Apple Services in Windows Task Manager.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to archaeoman For This Useful Post:

bondkt (2010-06-23)

Thanks

Last edited by bondkt; 2010-06-22 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondkt View Post
    This is how you can tell if your device is hashed via cydia
    then I dont have it...so u saying your guide only work when the Cydia already installed otherwise it wont work ? correct ? caused I know this guy been using this phone with ATT the whole time. Any other way that I can downgrad or jailbreak this phone ?

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archaeoman View Post
    BTW, I found that I could not delete the temp bin file without closing Apple Services in Windows Task Manager.
    Thanks for the heads up! added it to guide

" After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the \Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

** You may need to open task manager [ctrl + alt + del] and end some/all Apple Processes to be able to delete the 'bin' folder. If you do end these processes, restart your computer after deleting the bin folder in order restart them (so your iphone will be able to sync with iTunes etc).

THANKS archaeoman! "

Quote Originally Posted by M-bENZ View Post
    then I dont have it...so u saying your guide only work when the Cydia already installed otherwise it wont work ? correct ? caused I know this guy been using this phone with ATT the whole time. Any other way that I can downgrad or jailbreak this phone ?

Thanks,

Andy
    Correct Correct. and i say to just wait for the 4.0 jailbreak from dev team.

Are you sure its not hashed?
    Last edited by bondkt; 2010-06-22 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by bondkt View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! added it to guide

" After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

THANKS archaeoman! "

Correct Correct. and i say to just wait for the 4.0 jailbreak from dev team.

Are you sure its not hashed?
    I didnt see any Cydia on my springboard ? so ??

Thanks

Well looks like the only way you can really find out is to try it then=P

Well upgrading\restoring to 4.0 it deleted Cydia.

you should, if you really want this, backup all your data and download firmware 3.1.3 (link in my guide) and see if you can shift+restore back to it...if you can, and you get error 1015, well its hashed=p

if you get the error of not being supported, restore back to 4.0 and wait for the dev team to release a jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I keep getting the 3194 error consistently, and I'm trying to downgrade to either 3.1 or 3.1.2.

My iPhone has 3.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 on Cydia's file (I remember seeing this message emblazoned across the top of Cydia each time I loaded it up), but I've tried to grab those SHSH files from Cydia's servers, but the method I tried (Umbrella) isn't working.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast