Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 stuck in DFU mode after reseting network settings

Default iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 stuck in DFU mode after reseting network settings
    Hi, I'm in thick soup.

I have 3GS 3.1.2(7D11) with new bootrom (week 47).

Mine had a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n. Due to some issues, i performed jailbreak with redsnow 0.9.3.

As my wifi was not working, i reset the network settings. As a result the phone rebooted and entered the recovery mode loop.

Then i decided to try snowbreeze V1.2 for 3.1.2 firmware. After using snowbreeze, now my phone doesn't even enter the recovery mode loop. Instead it is stuck in DFU mode (blank screen).

I have iTunes ver 9.0. iTune detects it as a phone in restore mode. But I can't restore it using iTunes as I don't have my SHSH on file for 3.1.2. However, I do have the 3.1.3 SHSH on file but I don't want to upgrade to 3.1.3.

I even tried to restore a custom software using iTunes but I get error 160001 during the restore process. I searched the net for this problem and found out that iREB could be used to solve this problem on phones other than 3GS. Pitty! no iREB for 3GS new bootrom.

I searched the net and found a guide to generate an SHSH file from signed iBEC/iBSS files captured during restore process of iTunes. But i don't have these iBEC/iBSS files either.

However, I've found these two files (iBEC/iBSS) inside the stock firmware .ipsw archive. The file names are iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu and iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu. But plz remember, I extracted these files from within the stock firmware .ipsw file for 3.1.2(7D11) AND NOT DURING iTunese restore process. Can these be used to generate my .SHSH file? (NOTE: I have the ECID of my phone as well!)

Anybody has any ideas how to recover my phone? Desparately need any help.

Regards
    Last edited by mengniu; 2010-06-19 at 08:35 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm in a similar situation. This morning I decided I'd update 3GS to 3.1.3 from 3.1.2 because I've been having battery issues lately. After making sure I'd be able to do so based on the available jailbreaks and everything, I restored my phone to 3.1.3 and I've been messing around with it since this morning. I'm stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen. Every time I try and restore, iTunes gives me the 1601 error and then my phone reboots with my previous custom boot logo then back to "connect to iTunes."

I'm trying everything I can think of, but nothing is working yet. Any ideas? I'll let you know if I figure it out.

There is the iREB tool for the 1601 error, but it doesn't work with 3GS.

Did u update to a stock 3.1.3 firmware or a custom 3.1.3 firmware?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mengniu View Post
    There is the iREB tool for the 1601 error, but it doesn't work with 3GS.

Did u update to a stock 3.1.3 firmware or a custom 3.1.3 firmware?
    Your only option is the last ditch method , read this
    Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

mengniu (2010-06-22)

Question: if I try the last ditch effort, will I be able to grab the iBEC/iBSS files during this restore?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mengniu View Post
    Question: if I try the last ditch effort, will I be able to grab the iBEC/iBSS files during this restore?
    You do not need to do that because Apple is still signing 3.1.3. Just shift and restore to the custom 3.1.3.
    You cannot grab your shsh file from within your ipsw. This shsh file is generated by Apple Server by using your unique ECID. You can grab the 3.1.3 shsh file now and store it locally using the fw umbrella.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-20 at 04:41 AM.

But I want to stay on 3.1.2. If during the upgrade to custom 3.1.3, if I can grab the iBEC/iBSS files, there is a chance that I could downgrade to 3.1.2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No you can't stay on 3.1.2 anymore because it is not hashed via Cydia. I recommend following his link as the last ditch effort to avoid a baseband update and head to 3.1.3 and get that hashed before Monday June 21, 2010 (apple is releasing 4.0 and will stop letting you restore to 3.1.3).

My guide (The Ultimate Downgrade Tutorial) wont work for you either because 3.1.2 is not hashed.

Ok I did the last ditch effort and restored to 3.1.3 with custom firmware file without baseband. I was able to do it as I had the shsh for 3.1.3 on saurik's server. The process terminated with error 06 as expected.

But now my phone is still in DFU mode. It has not transitioned to Recovery mode. I have tried the Home+Power button combination but did not succeed. Maybe I'm not doing the correct sequence of pressing the home and power button. Simply powering off and then on also takes the phone into DFU mode not into recovery mode.

Thanks

well now just upgrade to 3.1.3 regular fw and unlock with ultrasn0w 0.93

Can redsnow jailbreak 3GS 3.1.3 with new bootrom?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine was a false alarm. After trying over and over to restore my 3GS, rejailbreaking using 3 different tools, and learning about and using iRecovery, I finally gave up and brought it to the Genius Bar. I was reluctant to do it because my phone had a custom boot logo on it, but I figured I had no other option.

Luckily the guy who helped me was not a stickler when he saw the boot logo and he still took it in the back to try and fix it. I figured he'd be exchanging it for a different 3GS, but he came back with my phone restored/updated to 3.1.3.

Now this upset me. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I've become good enough with my iPhones and iPod Touch that I figured there had to be something really wrong with it. As I drove home, it made me realize that it had to be my computer that was the problem. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting with iTunes and Windows, I realized my Apple Mobile Device Service wasn't running and wouldn't start. The cause of this problem ended up being that I had installed Wi-Fi Sync on my computer the day before. I didn't realize that having it installed disables USB communication. I uninstalled it and voila!

Okay, I admit it, I'm a dumbass.

Thanks

no, this is all that can thats untethered.

Spirit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
    Mine was a false alarm. After trying over and over to restore my 3GS, rejailbreaking using 3 different tools, and learning about and using iRecovery, I finally gave up and brought it to the Genius Bar. I was reluctant to do it because my phone had a custom boot logo on it, but I figured I had no other option.

Luckily the guy who helped me was not a stickler when he saw the boot logo and he still took it in the back to try and fix it. I figured he'd be exchanging it for a different 3GS, but he came back with my phone restored/updated to 3.1.3.

Now this upset me. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I've become good enough with my iPhones and iPod Touch that I figured there had to be something really wrong with it. As I drove home, it made me realize that it had to be my computer that was the problem. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting with iTunes and Windows, I realized my Apple Mobile Device Service wasn't running and wouldn't start. The cause of this problem ended up being that I had installed Wi-Fi Sync on my computer the day before. I didn't realize that having it installed disables USB communication. I uninstalled it and voila!

Okay, I admit it, I'm a dumbass.
    For Wifi Sync to work, you need Itunes 9.1 and above.