Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Device is not eligible.."

Question "Device is not eligible.."
    I had 3.1.2 on my 3GS iPhone (Baseband 5.11.07) and had stored my shsh hashes via cydia, (every time I used cydia it indicated that my hashes were stored). The phone has a passcode lock enforced since my exchange server requires it, now my kid entered the wrong passcode multiple times and the phone is now stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel overlayed on it.

After putting the phone in DFU mode I pointed itunes at the 3.1.2 firmware (both the one that I had saved locally previously and another one downloaded from icommunity website) but I get the message indicating that "my device is not eligible for this upgrade". I have set the IP of gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249 in the hosts file and I still get this message. Is the only option to upgrade to 3.1.3 via itunes or have I missed some step that is causing me this grief.. any and all pointers will help.

thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

some things come to mind.

did you make sure to save the hosts file after editing? Make sure the hosts file is not set as "read only" in properties?

remove/delete any other reference to gs.apple.com from the hosts file?

the Cydia server is actually running? i had to do a restore and was pulling my hair out till i found the server was momnetarily down.

for the love of god, dont upgrade yet.

Default Same device is not eligible problem...
    Pseudobr,

I am having the same issue. I cached my shsh hashes with cydia and modified the host file (set gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249), but I still get the same device is not eligible message.

I got my device to restore using PwnageTool, but greedily tried to restore it to an itunes backup instead of setting it as a new device, and now it's completely boned.

If I can't get this to work, I'm looking at a very bleak future of an iphone with very limited capabilities.

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Did you save the hosts file? You have to reboot your pc again too.

Default How do we verify if cydia has the shsh hash saved.
    Thanks for the reply folks. I have saved the hosts file and pinging gs.apple.com uses the IP that I have saved in the file. That said is there a way to verify if the SHSH hash is really saved on cydia via some other means.

Angry Pathetic
    I guess I am screwed. I followed the sticky in the forum and downloaded USBView and Umbrella. Umbrella basically told me that cydia did not have my SHSH on file for 3.1.2, it kept giving me the same message as "device not eligible" within the app, whereas choosing 3.1.3 gave me back a valid shsh file. I guess the only recourse for me now is to download 3.1.3 and restore using that.

I have exactly the same problem on my 3Gs, cydia had my shsh on file, I modified the hosts file, when I ping gs.apple.com it pings saurik's IP, but I still get the not eligible error!

Thanks

.. then you dont have the 3.1.2 SHSH files saved.

Pseudobr,

I was able to fix my phone using pwnagetool, and avoid upgrading to 3.1.3.

It took a lot of screwing around but it worked.

Here is what you need to do:

Open PwnageTool

Create a modified firmware package

Open iTunes

get the phone into recovery mode

option click restore and select the modified package

it might take a few tries but it should work.

Hope it helps.

ok same problem here but at least you guys can see the apple logo on your screen. Mine is completely blacked out i cant even turn on/off my iphone..actually cant do anything to the phone right now. And this is what happened I tried to restore the firmware 3.1.2 and run the redsnow what I got is the completed black out screeen after the installation is done so not sure what happened. Now when I connected to the Itune it says i am in "recovery mode" even though my screen is black. I tried to google it but the only solution that i found is update to 3.1.3 which I dont want to do that because i have Tmobile. Oh wait and the other method that i found is the iRecovery but not sure how to do that. Anyway, if you or anyone comes up with the better idea please share. My phone is 3GS 16gb white with 3.1.2-5.11.07

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy,

your battery is likely dead. Plug it in until you see the charging picture. It should then try to turn on.

After that, you should be able to get it into restore mode and force a custom package restore using pwnagetools and iTunes. Just keep pwnagetools open and at the connect device to USB screen. Then use iTunes to do a custom restore of the package you just made. For some reason it works. I don't know why...

Whoops didn't read your whole post. If the screen is black that might mean it's in dfu mode. Mine did the same wouldn't show the recovery picture. Doesn't matter though. You can force the restore using pwnagetool and the steps I outlined. It will work.
    Last edited by wteaocb; 2010-06-18 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by wteaocb View Post
    Andy,

your battery is likely dead. Plug it in until you see the charging picture. It should then try to turn on.

After that, you should be able to get it into restore mode and force a custom package restore using pwnagetools and iTunes. Just keep pwnagetools open and at the connect device to USB screen. Then use iTunes to do a custom restore of the package you just made. For some reason it works. I don't know why...

Whoops didn't read your whole post. If the screen is black that might mean it's in dfu mode. Mine did the same wouldn't show the recovery picture. Doesn't matter though. You can force the restore using pwnagetool and the steps I outlined. It will work.
    Hey thanks for the reply but i dont think there is sowmthing wrong with my battery because it was fully charged before it turned into complete dark screen (right after I installed the redsnow and all that). Actually, I am in the recovery mode. Like I said above when I plug my phone to mine computer the Itune says im in the recovery mode. And I had already tried like thousand times to force to restore but I ended up with this message "the device is not elegible for the update" . Someone told me that Apple stop signning 3.1.2 thats why. Im trying to use the iRecovery but not sure how it works hopefully someone can walk me thru it.

Andy

Have pwnagetool running and use a custom package created by pwnagetool. I'm speaking from experience. I used this method and it worked. Otherwise you'll be restoring with 3.1.3. Again, use pwnagetool for the restore and force the restore even if pwnagetool doesn't recognize that the iPhone is connected.

Good luck.

Btw

I tried using irecovery and had no luck at all.

I had the exact same problem that you did. And was Abe to fix it by rejailbreaking with pwngetool.
    Last edited by wteaocb; 2010-06-18 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

wteacob,

Are you talking to me or someone else ? If so, I cant run the pwnagetool either everytime I tried to run it ...it gave me the error or is it because i have the bad software ?

Andy

I would try to find the latest version of pwnagetool- I don't recall what I was running.

What kind of error are you getting? Is it something to do with the package creation or will the program simply not run at all?

It's important that you download the correct restore package for your model.

Once you have pwnagetool running get iTunes to recognize your ****** up device as being in recovery mode.

You should get to a point with pwnagetool where it stalls with the wheel, waiting for you to connect your device.

At this point go into iTunes, keeping pwnagetool open and restore with your custom package. It worked for me twice.
    Last edited by wteaocb; 2010-06-18 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by wteaocb View Post
    I would try to find the latest version of pwnagetool- I don't recall what I was running.

What kind of error are you getting? Is it something to do with the package creation or will the program simply not run at all?

It's important that you download the correct restore package for your model.

Once you have pwnagetool running get iTunes to recognize your ****** up device as being in recovery mode.

You should get to a point with pwnagetool where it stalls with the wheel, waiting for you to connect your device.

At this point go into iTunes, keeping pwnagetool open and restore with your custom package. It worked for me twice.
    I think I have bad file...let me try to get the new one and in the meantime can you kinda check on your see what your running and if its possible please direct to the link. Looks like i am in the right forum .

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Indeed you are- and I have sympathy for you because I was in your shoes about 24 hours ago.

I think I have pwnagetools 3.14. I'm not at my home compy right now but I'm almost certain it was that version.

Check here
    Dev-Team Blog - Pre-game show
    for info about the versions.

and that pwnagetool (3.1.4)is for MAC right ? I have a window XP. Problem comes after another...dammit lol. I am google it as we speak but it looks like that version you metioned only for MAC.

Andy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M-bENZ View Post
    and that pwnagetool (3.1.4)is for MAC right ? I have a window XP. Problem comes after another...dammit lol. I am google it as we speak but it looks like that version you metioned only for MAC.

Andy
    Custom firmware made from Pwnage tool or Snowbreeze does not work for everyone, you can only use it on old bootrom.