Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fresh reformat on 3.1.2

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fresh reformat on 3.1.2
    I sold my 3GS on ebay last night, and I want to make sure when I send it to the guy that I wipe all my personal info off of it.

I am currently running firmware 3.1.2 with baseband 5.11.07. Cydia has my SHSH's on file for 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

Can someone point me in the right direction to erase my stuff without having to restore it. The guy that bought it plans on unlocking, so I don't want to screw it up for him.

Is there a way to do a fresh OS install without the need to update the firmware?

iPhone? More like MyPhone dazzer1983's Avatar
    Thanks

There's a reset data option in settings that should delete all data. How much did you sell for? Was thinking of selling mine to go toward iPhone 4 when it's released.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer1983 View Post
    There's a reset data option in settings that should delete all data. How much did you sell for? Was thinking of selling mine to go toward iPhone 4 when it's released.
    From what I read on google stuff I found, that "reset data" doesn't get rid of everything. I want to make sure the guy can't trace anything back to me. I work for the Government LOL

I was only asking $300. That's what I paid for it, and that's what I am paying for the new one. I didn't want to get greedy and just wanted a quick sale

Thanks

I paid 440 pound in November for 16gb 3gs. Wonder how much I would get for mine ?

Thanks

65 views and no other responses. That's sad

Thanks

There is a way I did it when I was on 3.1.2. There's a guide somewhere on net. You have to download firmware 3.1.2 and change something on iTunes so it doesn't check apple servers but checks sauriks servers. I will see if I can find the guide and get back to ya.

Found it. Go here http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ice-issue.html
    Last edited by dazzer1983; 2010-06-09 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer1983 View Post
    There is a way I did it when I was on 3.1.2. There's a guide somewhere on net. You have to download firmware 3.1.2 and change something on iTunes so it doesn't check apple servers but checks sauriks servers. I will see if I can find the guide and get back to ya.

Found it. Go here http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ice-issue.html
    I'm not downgrading though. I am still on 3.1.2 and just wanna do a fresh install of 3.1.2

However, from reading that guide, I guess I have to change my host file on my PC to reflect Sauriks server and not Apples. Do that, download the 3.1.2 firmware and install it via iTunes manual mode and it should work.

Thanks

Yes I know your not downgrading

You can also upgrade to 3.1.3 using Download PwnageTool 3.1.5 to jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 3G/3GS OS keeping 3.1.2 baseband
    Last edited by dazzer1983; 2010-06-09 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You should download a fresh stock copy(found in our downloads section)of the 3.1.2 firmware. Next alter your \Hosts file to point at Saurik's server(google this...it is super simple. Shift/Restore to 3.1.2 using the stock 3.1.2 that you downloaded.

Keep in mind to remove anything out of categories folders if you use categories and if you altered the Carrier name using makeitmine you should reset it to default within the app before restoring.

I'm trying to do a restore from a jailbroken 3.1.2 to stock 3.1.2 (with the intent of jailbreaking again to sell a clean device).

I keep getting 1611 errors.

Here's what I've done thus far:

- My SHSH is on file with Cydia going back to 3.0
    - I've changed my host file to point to Cydia (I already had a gs.apple.com entry at the bottom of the host file but I changed the IP address to 74.208.10.249)
    - Put my phone into DFU mode
    - Clicked Option+Restore and chose the 3.1.2 firmware

It runs for a bit, then I get the 1611 (or 1600) error.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
    I'm trying to do a restore from a jailbroken 3.1.2 to stock 3.1.2 (with the intent of jailbreaking again to sell a clean device).

- I've changed my host file to point to Cydia (I already had a gs.apple.com entry at the bottom of the host file but I changed the IP address to 74.208.10.249)

Any ideas?
    Altenate method :
    You can create a custom firmware of either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 from Pwnagae tools and restore to it. If you encounter error when restoring , other than error 16xx, you can use quickpwn to get out of this error.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post

Any ideas?
    Try from recovery mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You should download a fresh stock copy(found in our downloads section)of the 3.1.2 firmware. Next alter your Hosts file to point at Saurik's server(google this...it is super simple. Shift/Restore to 3.1.2 using the stock 3.1.2 that you downloaded.

Keep in mind to remove anything out of categories folders if you use categories and if you altered the Carrier name using makeitmine you should reset it to default within the app before restoring.
    Thanks for the help with this! Mine worked like a charm. No issues at all