Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore from 3.1.2 to 3.1.2

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unhappy Restore from 3.1.2 to 3.1.2
    Hi Guys,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to refresh my iPhone.

My iPhone is a 3GS 32GB running v3.1.2.
    I got this phone in March 2010, it was from the UK and was obviously sim locked, so I had to use blackra1n to jailbreak and unlock it so I could use it in New Zealand. I installed Cydia and backed up the SHSH and it says SHSH for 3.1.3 and I have just read a post about anything after early Feb didn't get a 3.1.2 due to Apple stopping signing for 3.1.2.

I have been using the iPhone quite happily until recently when I've noticed a tonne of crap left over from applications that are no longer installed and media files which you can't even access via the iPhones interface.

So I want to reformat/restore it back to its factory settings and I would like to know if this is possible (using the 3.1.2 firmware).

I have read so many webpages and blogs that my eyes have gone crosseyed, I realise there are possibly hundreds of people who have asked these questions before. Perhaps if you can point me in the right direction.

I have tried to restore but get the infamous 1600 error, or that the device isn't eligible.
    I'm guessing the answer is that im fked and nothing can help but I'm still hoping there is some light out there to shine to way to salvation and not the end of a double barrel shotgun.

Thanks in advance!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You are fked

To explain a bit, your phone can't use custom firmwares at all so that's why you're getting 160x errors. As you don't have your 3.1.2 SHSH you can't restore to stock 3.1.2 either.

The only option you, if you absolutely need to restore, is to go to 3.1.3. Problem with that is that you upgrade the baseband to a version that isn't unlockable.

There is a way around this, but it won't work for you. By using a modified 3.1.3 firmware where the baseband files have been removed, it's possible to upgrade to 3.1.3 without upgrading the baseband. The problem then is that after the restore, the phone needs to be activated with an original sim, meaning a UK (O2 I'm guessing) sim, before you can jailbreak.

If you did have access to a UK O2 sim, you could use the modified firmware and restore to 3.1.3 and then activate normally. Afterwards, you could jailbreak using Spirit and then unlock using blacksn0w RC2 which would then mean you could use any sim. The one obstacle is the official sim activation though.

Here's the site for the modified firmware: http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:removellb

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (2010-06-10)

wtf r u talking about dhamien? if you use a custom ipsw, your already jailbroken, and hacktivated if needed, theres no need to use spirit after again.

But since sniper your phone is on the new boot rom, you can't use custom firmware's at all. So your fukd until the unlock for 4.0. Just upgrade to 3.1.3 and enjoy your expensive iPod Touch. (or if i were you i'd upgrade to 4.0 gold master since theres no unlock either way)
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    wtf r u talking about dhamien? if you use a custom ipsw, your already jailbroken, and hacktivated if needed, theres no need to use spirit after again.

But since sniper your phone is on the new boot rom, you can't use custom firmware's at all. So your fukd until the unlock for 4.0. Just upgrade to 3.1.3 and enjoy your expensive iPod Touch. (or if i were you i'd upgrade to 4.0 gold master since theres no unlock either way)
    If you're going to trash, at least make sure you're right. Do note that I said modified firmware and not a custom firmware and check out the link I posted.

edit: And why suggest to upgrade to 3.1.3 when it's working now on 3.1.2?
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-06-09 at 12:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default What's the thinking?!
    @dhamien
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Unfortunately I don't have a UK sim, so I take it that this is also the reason I have to start the iPhone with blackra1n everytime I turn the iPhone off?
    (Because it's not activated?)

I wonder if version 4 of the iOS will be able to be cracked before Apple stops it somehow.
    Need to get the SHSH's fast! ^_^

@babyblue_pimp
    Why in the hell would I want to update my iPhone and make it completely useless?!
    The point in the name being iPHONE.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No, not being able to start without blackra1n is because blackra1n and Spirit use different methods to jailbreak.

About the SHSHs, if you've already clicked the 'Make my life easier' button in Cydia, then it'll store the files for all future versions as well. Once 4.0 is out, it'll be jailbroken, quite fast I believe, and you'll be able to update to that, so just hang tight until it arrives

iOS 4 should be out by the 24th so it'll be sometime shortly (hopefully) after that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (2010-06-11)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh I see, I had never heard of Spirit until read posts on here.

Does Spirit enable the iPhone to boot without using the software or am I being too hopeful?

The next question being, is it possible/feasible for me to uninstall blackra1n and install Spirit?

So if and when the new iOS4 comes out and is broken and I update to it the next time I went into Cydia,
    Cydia would automatically upload my SHSHs to the server?
    Gotta love saurik!

(My iPhone's Cydia says: "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3")
    I will also use Umbrella once the new iOS is out, just in case. You never know!

Thanks for clueing me in dhamien, it's much appreciated!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes, Spirit does make you able to boot the phone without connecting to the computer. Unfortunately, you can't uninstall blackra1n and you can't run Spirit on top of blackra1n. In order to install Spirit, you'd need to restore and you don't have that option.

About the SHSHs, you actually don't even need to go to iOS4 for Saurik to store your files. Personally, I clicked the button in Cydia when my phone was 3.1 and now I have files for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 as well, all done automatically (I'm at 3.1.2 now and have never been to 3.1.3).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    this is what i dont get about the whole scenario posted by the OP, he said he was unlocked, jailbroken on 3.1.2, then ur 3.1.2 keys shuold have been on cydia. even if they are not, and u are still on 3.1.2 right now, then u can always back up ur shsh by using autoshshs (saves the shsh to ur disk and also uploads to cydia).. that way u have ur shsh on file in cydia.

now all u have to do is to download a custom 3.1.2 .ipsw which is hacktivated, then do a restore and the OP should be back in business.. provided OP has made the modifications in his host file to point to cydia during the restore process... no need for any original SIM or anything and use whatever SIM u like

where did 3.1.3 come into the picture... unless i am missing something here..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hopetobuyiphone View Post
    this is what i dont get about the whole scenario posted by the OP, he said he was unlocked, jailbroken on 3.1.2, then ur 3.1.2 keys shuold have been on cydia. even if they are not, and u are still on 3.1.2 right now, then u can always back up ur shsh by using autoshshs (saves the shsh to ur disk and also uploads to cydia).. that way u have ur shsh on file in cydia.

now all u have to do is to download a custom 3.1.2 .ipsw which is hacktivated, then do a restore and the OP should be back in business.. provided OP has made the modifications in his host file to point to cydia during the restore process... no need for any original SIM or anything and use whatever SIM u like

where did 3.1.3 come into the picture... unless i am missing something here..
    You're missing a lot

You can only get SHSH for the version that is currently being signed by Apple, not the version that's on the phone. This means that any phone, no matter which firmware is installed, can't get 3.1.2 (or any other than 3.1.3) SHSH after February 3rd which was the date that 3.1.3 was released by Apple.

Also, custom firmwares require that the phone has the old bootrom and those phones stopped selling back in September/October of last year.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Yes, Spirit does make you able to boot the phone without connecting to the computer. Unfortunately, you can't uninstall blackra1n and you can't run Spirit on top of blackra1n. In order to install Spirit, you'd need to restore and you don't have that option.
    Awww poppycock T_T.
    Can't even remove blackra1n properly with cydelete? As it seems to be removable when in app remove mode.
    (Hold finger on apps till they quake ^_^)

About the SHSHs, you actually don't even need to go to iOS4 for Saurik to store your files. Personally, I clicked the button in Cydia when my phone was 3.1 and now I have files for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 as well, all done automatically (I'm at 3.1.2 now and have never been to 3.1.3).
    Well that's interesting to know.
    For this to happen I imagine a unique code is created by using the serial number of the device with an algorithm which is tied into the SHSH files.
    Perhaps saurik has come across a way to decode this information and when a new iOS comes out his server automatically polls Apple with the stored unique keys.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
    Awww poppycock T_T.
    Can't even remove blackra1n properly with cydelete? As it seems to be removable when in app remove mode.
    (Hold finger on apps till they quake ^_^)

Well that's interesting to know.
    For this to happen I imagine a unique code is created by using the serial number of the device with an algorithm which is tied into the SHSH files.
    Perhaps saurik has come across a way to decode this information and when a new iOS comes out his server automatically polls Apple with the stored unique keys.
    You can delete the blackra1n app, but you can't undo the jailbreak it has performed.

SHSHs are generated by Apple using your ECID number. This is done at a level of encryption that won't be broken by Saurik or anyone else. All users can do is keep storing the keys every time Apple signs a new version. Apple is already making changes to prevent that so this part of jailbreaking has also become the cat and mouse game.

If you're curious about SHSHs, you can read more about it on semaphore's blog. He's written about what Apple is trying to change so downgrading won't work anymore and he's also working on preventing that from happening. You can find the blog here: The Firmware Umbrella

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (2010-06-12)

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can delete the blackra1n app, but you can't undo the jailbreak it has performed.
    Ah ok, bugger. That bursts that idea bubble then.

SHSHs are generated by Apple using your ECID number. This is done at a level of encryption that won't be broken by Saurik or anyone else. All users can do is keep storing the keys every time Apple signs a new version. Apple is already making changes to prevent that so this part of jailbreaking has also become the cat and mouse game.
    Ah ECID I should have figured that, considering you're required to use your ECID when obtaining your SHSH file via Umbrella.
    Duhh <.< stupid me.

If you're curious about SHSHs, you can read more about it on semaphore's blog. He's written about what Apple is trying to change so downgrading won't work anymore and he's also working on preventing that from happening. You can find the blog here: The Firmware Umbrella
    Awesome, thanks for the link.
    I will most definitely check it out!