Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie need to jailbreak and unlock 3Gs 3.1.2 baseband 05.11.07

Default Newbie need to jailbreak and unlock 3Gs 3.1.2 baseband 05.11.07
    hello this is the third iphone i have had now and the first 2 i could not unlock or jailbreak can someone help me with step by step on how to do this please. for the 3Gs 3.1.2 baseband 05.11.07

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlestick View Post
    hello this is the third iphone i have had now and the first 2 i could not unlock or jailbreak can someone help me with step by step on how to do this please. for the 3Gs 3.1.2 baseband 05.11.07
    If you have not jailbroken it yet,run spirit and then install Blacksn0wRC2 from the repo source cydia.pushfix.info.

If you have already used Blackra1n, don't use spirit unless you remove Blackra1n jailbreak which requires a 3.1.2 restore and that leads you to a "Must Have" 3.1.2 shsh on file with Saurik Server.

If you have never done this its actually easier than you might think. I'm going to tell you how to do it using blackra1n because I think it is the easiest for a noob to understand.

1. Update your iTunes.
    2. Download blackra1n at blackweather
    3. Plug your iPhone into the computer and open blackra1n. Then click on the only button blackra1n has that says "Make it rain"
    4. Let the blackra1n do its thing and don't touch your iPhone until you are sure it's done. Blackra1n will only take a second but your iPhone will take longer. Once your iPhone reboots, you will notice a new icon on your springboard. This is BlackRa1n. Now make sure you have internet connection and launch BlackRa1n on your iPhone
    5. To download one of the jailbroken "app stores" just click on either Cydia or Rock and then click "Install" in the upper right corner. Both are good and there are a million people who argue on which is better but I'm not going to get into that. Just download either of them (or both) and you can then start to download applications that Apple never wanted you to see. Don't download them both at the same time. Let one install and then let the other install separately.
    6. Finally for the unlock just reopen blackra1n and click on "sn0w" and then "install". Wait for the program to do its thing and then that's it!

Just a couple of tips - If you are on T-mobile in the USA you will want to disable 3G. It wont work w/ T-mobile because of the frequency and will actually interfere with your T-mobile signal. Also, because 3.1.3 is not able to be unlocked yet, I would VERY strongly suggest that you save your SHSH in case you have to restore. Apple will no longer let you restore to 3.1.2 on a iPhone 3GS so if something went wrong, you would be forced to update without this. To do this just go to either cydia or rock and click on "Save 3GS SHSH for Restore". Hopefully you're iPhone will never have to be restored but you never know and without that backup, you're just **** out of luck. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to send me a message

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

DO NOT USE BLACKRA1N!

Well, didn't mean it so harshly, just wanted to point out that it's a really bad idea. Why would anyone choose a tethered jailbreak over an untethered one? Blackra1n isn't any more simple than Spirit. They're equally easy to use. 1 button.

Spirit is the way to go, there's no reason to use blackra1n anymore.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Blackra1n isnt what causes a tethered jailbreak.

You would have to update to 3.1.3 to use Spirit.

If the OP wants to update to 3.1.3 that requires more steps because 3GS phones are so much more complicated. The baseband needs to be preserved and you cant restore without SHSH files.

Blackra1n is the only option for 3.1.2

Id rather stay on 3.1.2 and be able to unlock than risk updating to 3.1.3 and upping my baseband just to use Spirit, just my opinion :P
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-22 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chances are IF he hasnt JB this phone before. Then his 3.1.2 shsh files ARE NOT on Cyndia. In return it also means theres no chance in hell of him JB with blackrain, therfore he CAN NOT unlock it anyways.....So as dhamien said, Spirit is the way to go (for now anyways).

I'll keep my 04.26.08 on 3.1.3 for as long as i dont make any mistakes, LoL

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Blackra1n isnt what causes a tethered jailbreak.

You would have to update to 3.1.3 to use Spirit.

If the OP wants to update to 3.1.3 that requires more steps because 3GS phones are so much more complicated. The baseband needs to be preserved and you cant restore without SHSH files.

Blackra1n is the only option for 3.1.2

Id rather stay on 3.1.2 and be able to unlock than risk updating to 3.1.3 and upping my baseband just to use Spirit, just my opinion :P
    Spirit works on 3.1.2 and is an untethered jailbreak no matter the bootrom version.

... and blackra1n would be the cause of a tethered jailbreak on 3.1.2 when you compare it to using Spirit to jailbreak.

My point still stands; there's no reason to use blackra1n anymore.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Just for the 3GS then. Thanks for clarifying.

It wasnt confirmed that Spirit worked on 3.1.2 at the point I was reading up on it.

Good info

Just restored a 3GS to 3.1.2 and 05.11.07 BB, and I did exactly what yeow202 suggested; his advice is spot on. Spirit avoids the potential headaches that Blackra1n has been known to cause, specifically the WiFi and network problems, and it is untethered. And Blacksn0w RC2 fixes the bugs originally coded into the unlock. Follow his suggested JB and Unlock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xpate View Post
    Just restored a 3GS to 3.1.2 and 05.11.07 BB, and I did exactly what yeow202 suggested; his advice is spot on. Spirit avoids the potential headaches that Blackra1n has been known to cause, specifically the WiFi and network problems, and it is untethered. And Blacksn0w RC2 fixes the bugs originally coded into the unlock. Follow his suggested JB and Unlock
    Thank you for the compliments......

Red face jailbroken but not unlocked yet ???
    hey guys, i have a 3gs with 3.1.2 firmware. i already jailbreak with blackra1n but can not find blackra1n icon after the process so i can not unlock my iphone. i can add some apps and use the wifi but just can not unlock yet.
    Please advice what i should do next to unlock it? really appreciate your helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
    hey guys, i have a 3gs with 3.1.2 firmware. i already jailbreak with blackra1n but can not find blackra1n icon after the process so i can not unlock my iphone. i can add some apps and use the wifi but just can not unlock yet.
    Please advice what i should do next to unlock it? really appreciate your helps!
    Add this repo to Cydia Source > cydia.pushfix.info and install blacksn0wRC2 to unlock..
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-06 at 01:04 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

He doesnt have blackra1n so Im assuming he couldnt install Cydia to add a repo.

I think restore is necessary here, of possible. And a rejailbreak.

If possible*
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-06 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    He doesnt have blackra1n so Im assuming he couldnt install Cydia to add a repo.

I think restore is necessary here, of possible. And a rejailbreak.

If possible*
    I wonder if he could rejailbreak with blackra1n again without a restore.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Thought about that too. But read somewhere that running a jailbreak over a jailbreak doesnt do anything for the phone.

It wouldnt hurt to try though. If that fails then we all know what's next

Thanks

Yeah, since he is using Blackra1n, he probably did not get it jailbroken, it is possible he installed the latest Itunes which does not allow blackra1n to run. Download Blackweather or BlackBreeze to fix the Blackra1n issue and run it again. I can't really comment much as i don't use Blackra1n om my Iphone.

I was reading this as I also need to unlock my 3gs 3.1.2 5.11.07 I recently got my iphone wet and immediately took it apart and put under a fan for 2 days and now everthing works on the phone except my tmobile sim. I have blackrain installed. I tried to run snow a few times with the sim installed an for about 30 sec the bar says searching and sometimes says tmobile for a sec before NO SERVICE. The only carrier that appears is att. I just downloaded the blacksnow RC2 Final and nothing happend.

thanx for the all the input, guys.
    i did tried to restore from itunes, press shift then choose iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, verifying with apple then it said my iphone is not eligible. i tried to restore in recovery mode and DFU mode but still no change.. so desperate...
    is it possible to install cydia from other source (becoz i can install some other apps thru itunes)? then install blacknow afterward?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can install Cydia with redsn0w 0.9.2: redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]

Make absolutely sure you answer correctly to the old/new bootrom question. Then check 'Install Cydia' and 'Already pwned' and nothing else.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

waiwera (2010-06-14)

thanks for the advice.
    is it ok to install redsnow without restore in itunes? coz as i said before, i can not restore. itunes said my iphone is not eligible after it verify with apple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast