Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - could someone dumb this down for me?

Default Help - could someone dumb this down for me?
    Hi,
    I am really stumped here and could use help. I know that these questions have probably been asked a thousand times on these forums, but I've spent the better part of five hours last night trying to understand exactly what I need to do. I find this whole process a bit overwhelming so I could really use some clear instructions if anyone is willing to answer these doubtlessly stupid questions. I have a couple of questions that don't pertain to the downgrading process itself but the basic concern of my post is about the downgrade, so I hope I put this in the right forum.

Basically, my situation is that I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 with a 5.11.07 baseband.

I would like to unlock my phone as I have just moved to a new country and would like to use my iPhone here, however I have so far been unsuccessful following several different guides.

The first thing I tried was to simply use the blackra1n app on the phone to run sn0w, which seemed to work, but after inserting a new SIM card it still gives me the error that a different SIM card has been detected. After some research I read that the solution to this is to restore the phone and basically just try again.

This ultimately led me here, where I see that I am forced to upgrade to 3.1.3, then downgrade again to 3.1.2.

edit: Managed to resolve most of my questions. The only problem I'm having now is I'm getting an error in iTunes (1600) when trying to restore now, which I see other people are having in a new thread.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bob_loblaw; 2010-05-18 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

ok why are you "forced to upgrade to 3.1.3? is you phone bricked? stuck at apple logo?

firstly you could have just used blackra1n to JAILBREAK your phone then install Cydia through blackra1n and wifi.

in Cydia, click "make my life easier" to register your phone's SHSH blobs. This will allow u to restore BACK to the same firmware if you didn't do this you will be FORCED to upgrade to 3.1.3. if this happens, you cannot ever go back to 3.1.2. no way no how.

then hit the blackra1n icon again and choose "snow" that would have unlocked your phone.

however snow has been known to cause issues with wifi after.

if u update to 3.1.3 there is NO unlock currently and you will have a very expensive iPod touch, so don't do it. Jailbreak yes, unlock, no.
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2010-05-19 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_loblaw View Post
    Hi,
    I am really stumped here and could use help. I know that these questions have probably been asked a thousand times on these forums, but I've spent the better part of five hours last night trying to understand exactly what I need to do. I find this whole process a bit overwhelming so I could really use some clear instructions if anyone is willing to answer these doubtlessly stupid questions. I have a couple of questions that don't pertain to the downgrading process itself but the basic concern of my post is about the downgrade, so I hope I put this in the right forum.

Basically, my situation is that I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 with a 5.11.07 baseband.

I would like to unlock my phone as I have just moved to a new country and would like to use my iPhone here, however I have so far been unsuccessful following several different guides.

The first thing I tried was to simply use the blackra1n app on the phone to run sn0w, which seemed to work, but after inserting a new SIM card it still gives me the error that a different SIM card has been detected. After some research I read that the solution to this is to restore the phone and basically just try again.

This ultimately led me here, where I see that I am forced to upgrade to 3.1.3, then downgrade again to 3.1.2.

edit: Managed to resolve most of my questions. The only problem I'm having now is I'm getting an error in iTunes (1600) when trying to restore now, which I see other people are having in a new thread.

Thanks.
    Now you have to join the group of guys using the last ditch method if you don't have 3.1.2 shsh file...LOL

Either you edit one yourself or pm me to send you one but if you have already restored to 3.1.3, don't bother cos you won't be able to unlock. You need a Sim Card to Activate your Iphone
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-20 at 12:44 AM.