Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Winterboard update killed, need help

  1. #1
    Default Winterboard update killed, need help
    I have an iphone 3GS, bought about August 2009.

    I jailbroke my iphone about 2 months ago with blackra1n under version 3.1.2.

    Yesterday, winterboard wanted to update, so I let it. The iphone did a springboard restart and worked fine.

    I shut off my phone for a bit, and turned it back on. It would bring up the apple logo, and then shut back off. Holding the sleep and home buttons produced the same result.

    I held the home button, and plugged it into the computer. It said it was in recovery mode and needed to be restored. (I think this is the DFU mode I have read about).

    Now, my phone works, but it updated the firmware to 3.1.3, which I didnt want it to do. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware but I couldnt get itunes to be happy with it.

    I dont want to unlock my phone, I just want it jailbroken.

    Can anyone help me with this?

    *Edit: I was on an untethered jailbreak, if that matters*
    Last edited by NiteStryker; 2010-05-09 at 09:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    I have an iphone 3GS, bought about August 2009.

    I jailbroke my iphone about 2 months ago with blackra1n under version 3.1.2.

    Yesterday, winterboard wanted to update, so I let it. The iphone did a springboard restart and worked fine.

    I shut off my phone for a bit, and turned it back on. It would bring up the apple logo, and then shut back off. Holding the sleep and home buttons produced the same result.

    I held the home button, and plugged it into the computer. It said it was in recovery mode and needed to be restored. (I think this is the DFU mode I have read about).

    Now, my phone works, but it updated the firmware to 3.1.3, which I didnt want it to do. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware but I couldnt get itunes to be happy with it.

    I dont want to unlock my phone, I just want it jailbroken.

    Can anyone help me with this? Also I dont know what "tethering" is, so if you need to know that from me please give me a quick explanation.
    If you have asked earlier , I would suggest a different option but now do the following :

    Jailbreak with Spirit after activation with your official carrier 3.1.3. Make sure put spirit.exe in windows 98 compatibility mode.

  3. #3
    Is it too late to do anything else? Could I factory restore again and try your alternate method?

    Im open to any suggestions right now, so if you think something will work better, I'll try it. I havent started rebuilding my library so Im good for anything right now.

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    Is it too late to do anything else? Could I factory restore again and try your alternate method?

    Im open to any suggestions right now, so if you think something will work better, I'll try it. I havent started rebuilding my library so Im good for anything right now.
    From my understanding, you are at 3.1.3 and with official carrier.

    First restore your Iphone to stock 3.1.3 if you haven't done so.
    Then activate it with your sim card.
    Download spirit.exe from spiritjb.com
    Put spirit.exe in windows 98 compatibility mode.
    Follow the instructions.
    You are done now, jailbroken at 3.1.3 with official carrier.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    NiteStryker (2010-05-09)

  6. #5
    I restored earlier and re-synced with a 2 week old backup a few hours ago. Should I restore again or could I continue forward with the spirit jailbreak?

  7. #6
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    I restored earlier and re-synced with a 2 week old backup a few hours ago. Should I restore again or could I continue forward with the spirit jailbreak?
    If you have not used any other jailbreaking tools yet on your restored Iphone, you can just go ahead and use spirit.exe now.

    Let me know your progress, you shouldn't have any problems..

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    NiteStryker (2010-05-09)

  9. #7
    Holy crap...that was easier than blackra1n was.

    Do I have to re-point Cydia to the repository?

  10. #8
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    Holy crap...that was easier than blackra1n was.

    Do I have to re-point Cydia to the repository?
    Nope, you don't have to, anything else you want to know.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    NiteStryker (2010-05-11)

  12. #9
    You helped me immensely, thank you very much.

    I pretty much have my iphone to the point it was at before the crash, with a few minor files to add as I remember.

    Thank you again, I very much appreciate it.

  13. #10
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You are welcome, have a great day and enjoy.... keep smiling___

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •