Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I go to Spirit?

Thanks

Cool Should I go to Spirit?
    *n00b*
    iPhone user for 3 days *lovin' it*

I have an iPhone out-of-box 3Gs 3.1.2 fw / 5.11.07 mf
    Fully working with the jailbreak using blackra1n
    Then installed Cydia (yes to make my life easy)
    -do not know if cydia has my info though as it says TSS SHSH is disabled at the top of the app.
    At this point all i have done is done some playing and customizing of apps and settings.

Is this outdated to follow I successfully got a *.shsh 64K file
    Downgrade using "local" server

I got all the way down to Part 4) #5 and I do not have a file to select.

So I exited everything and going to do some more reading and understanding of everything.
    I'm wondering if I should go to the 2.1.3 using Spirit and then not have to tether anymore to boot up the phone. Reall no other benifits are there? As I'm already functioning.

I also question if there is any other "backup" procedures I should do while or before it's too late.

CHEERS TO ALL AND HAPPY IMACKING

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Unless you are able to restore back to 3.1.2, I suggest you stay with Blackra1n. There have been many issues with people after using Blacra1n and then spirtjb , are forced to restore to 3.1.3 or stuck in recovery loop

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

DJ_MIC (2010-05-05)

Thanks

Where is a current "restore back to 3.1.2" because I'm currently at 3.1.2 I would assume you mean "original 3.1.2" (not jailbroke)
    I'm looking for instructions to do that but like you said I think I would rather just have it for eductational purpose I'll wait as I have been reading alot of peeps having troubles with going from my status to spirit.
    TKS!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MIC View Post
    Where is a current "restore back to 3.1.2" because I'm currently at 3.1.2 I would assume you mean "original 3.1.2" (not jailbroke)
    I'm looking for instructions to do that but like you said I think I would rather just have it for eductational purpose I'll wait as I have been reading alot of peeps having troubles with going from my status to spirit.
    TKS!
    You see the above thread, someone did Blackra1n and then SpiritJB and now he is stuck in Recovery mode. I don't think you can do a double jailbreak, as some youtube videos has claimed.
    If you want to try, you can download the 3.1.2 from iclarified.com and point your host file to Saurik server and see if you can restore back to stock 3.1.2 first. If it says not eligible , then don't do it, you will still be alright because the process hasn't gone through.

If you can restore to stock 3.1.2, then you can go ahead and restore to 3.1.2 first and then activate your 3GS( if you on official carrier or you have a sim card meant for that Iphone to activate) and if you are using windows vista or windows 7, make sure you change the compatibility mode to windows 98 before you run Spirit.exe. After which , you can use Blacksn0w to unlock.

Note : I personally have not tried this myself, just did some research besides I always use Custom Firmware on my both 3GS.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-05 at 02:14 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

DJ_MIC (2010-05-05)

Thanks

Custom firmware hmmm... interesting learning something new.

Where are the best tuturials and file locations (not outdated)?
    Happy IMACKING!

You are incredibly lucky to get 3.1.2 and 5.11.07 out of the box this late.

Anyway you have the golden setup, 3.1.2 and 5.11.07 which can be jailbroken AND unlocked.

If you ever upgrade to 3.1.3 it will change your firmware to 5.12.01 and you wont be able to unlock! Even if you downgrade back to 3.1.2, you can not downgrade the baseband to unlock it!

Also Spirit is a userland jailbreak, so stay with your current setup and enjoy a proper JB with blackra1n

edit: and save your SHSH!

Thanks

So how come when I went to do a restore in the above post when I go to browse for the restore file I don't have one.

5) When iTunes opens and tells you your phone is in Recovery mode, hold down shift (Windows) option (Mac) then click Restore.
    6) Now browse to the firmware you need to restore.
    (where is my firmware backup or where/how would i get this)
    I have created my own *.SHSH backup using AutoSHSH-3.1.3_3.2--RC2.exe but that is just my ECID SHSH backup it is 64KB in size.

The only "real" pain with my current setup is if my battery dies traveling I can't startup my phone. Needs blackra1n to be run.

So I just want to be sure I've covered all my basis and I have done alot of reading up to this point only being day 3 of an iphone user
    Happy IMACKING!

Ahhhh okay, didnt see that you had a tethered jb.

Thanks

With that firmware and modem firmware is there any other way?
    That is the only downfall of this jb.
    Happy IMACKING!

Thanks

With that firmware and modem firmware is there any other way?
    That is the only downfall of this jb.
    Just stay at 3.1.2 and use the Blackra1n method, there are too many issue dealing with new bootrom and very few options.

So enjoy while you can, remember stay away from CFW..cos yours is tethered

The reason I can use Custom Firmware is because mine is untethered ( Old bootrom )

There are people with 3.1.3 and 5.11.07 now...

I assume that the only way to get this is with custom fw, but then I am not sure if you can use Spirit since the custom fw would already be jb...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theimapwnu View Post
    There are people with 3.1.3 and 5.11.07 now...

I assume that the only way to get this is with custom fw, but then I am not sure if you can use Spirit since the custom fw would already be jb...
    Why would someone wants to use Spirit Jailbreak when one can use Custom Firmware.

Userland Spirit already mentioned, those with old bootrom can continue to enjoy the prestige method of pwnage tools and SnowBreeze...lol

Thanks

Only irritating thing is I can't "play" on the road I was just installing new tweak did a reboot for it to apply itself and I was phoneless until i got home.
    Happy IMACKING!

Thanks

Only irritating thing is I can't "play" on the road I was just installing new tweak did a reboot for it to apply itself and I was phoneless until i got home.
    Lol , I truly understand your situation..it gets on my nerve too if my Iphone gets stuck on Itunes Logo. Have you tried the idongle. It is a small piece of equipment to boot up. I have no experience on that but read it somewhere.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

*n00b*
    iPhone user for 3 days *lovin' it*

I have an iPhone out-of-box 3Gs 3.1.2 fw / 5.11.07 mf
    Fully working with the jailbreak using blackra1n
    Then installed Cydia (yes to make my life easy)
    -do not know if cydia has my info though as it says TSS SHSH is disabled at the top of the app.
    At this point all i have done is done some playing and customizing of apps and settings.

Is this outdated to follow I successfully got a *.shsh 64K file
    Downgrade using "local" server

I got all the way down to Part 4) #5 and I do not have a file to select.

So I exited everything and going to do some more reading and understanding of everything.
    I'm wondering if I should go to the 2.1.3 using Spirit and then not have to tether anymore to boot up the phone. Reall no other benifits are there? As I'm already functioning.

I also question if there is any other "backup" procedures I should do while or before it's too late.

CHEERS TO ALL AND HAPPY IMACKING
    If your Iphone has been jailbroken for just 3 days the only shsh you could have on Cydia would be for 3.1.3, but at least thats a start! If you have a Mac then you can use PWNAGE Tool 3.1.5 and follow instructions and you can take you firmware to 3.1.3 and not loose the 5.17.01 baseband which is unlockable! If you do not have a Mac just stay where you are for now!

Also Cydia is getting bombarded at the present and for a while longer till the Ipad people do there thing! But there is a way that you can save your shsh your self by using info in this thread and you can also use it for unjailbroken Iphones as well here is the thread:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...-s-v3-1-a.html

Good luck
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-05-05 at 07:41 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If youre on AT&T, and plan on staying with them, then you dont need to stay on 5.11.07 baseband. If youre not planning on unlocking your phone, then go ahead and upgrade to 3.1.3 and use spirit for the untethered jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Why would someone wants to use Spirit Jailbreak when one can use Custom Firmware.
    the OP has a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n (in other words his 3GS has the new bootrom) so he cannot use custom FW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
    the OP has a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n (in other words his 3GS has the new bootrom) so he cannot use custom FW.
    I understand if you have an untethered Iphone then you can use cFw, when if you have the privilege of using cfw, then one shouldn't use Spirtjb. Custom firmware has more options like partitioning, change boot logos, add more sources and etc.

As for Spirtjb, one condition is that it has to be activated amd most of the tethered jailbreak or Iphone users do not use official carrier ( therefore cannot activate with a sim card)uses Blackra1n to activate because Blackra1n itself is hactivated.
    The tethered Iphone users in desperation for untethered jailbreak uses Spirtjb on top of Blackra1n = Big Mistake..

Maybe we should ask Userland what is going on ??