Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: factory 3GS 3.1.2 -> jailbroken 3.1.2 -> clean 3.1.2 questions, just bought 3GS

Default factory 3GS 3.1.2 -> jailbroken 3.1.2 -> clean 3.1.2 questions, just bought 3GS
    Sorry if this has been answered but I need to be sure.

Yesterday I bought a 3GS from someone who had never updated it or jailbroken it. Firmware was still 3.1.2, boot loader 6.4, baseband 5.11.07. Even though Spirit was already released I figured I didn't need it since I was still on 3.1.2 and on the unlockable baseband so I used blackra1n. It never occurred to me that it was a tethered jailbreak and I had no idea that Apple started signing firmware. The guy had wiped the phone before selling it to me and it needed to be activated through iTunes, blackra1n said it didn't need that so I hacktivated. Then I found out when the phone boots you need to run blackra1n every time.

So now I need to go back to clean 3.1.2 and JB with Spirit then unlock with blacksn0w. I ran autoshsh and backed up my blobs, however Cydia's shsh server is down so I have no idea if they were signed or not and what version it is, but this phone has never been updated to 3.1.3 so I should be ok right? Do I need to wait for Cydia's server to come back up or use a local server? Is it too late? I need to be unlocked for T-Mobile but I have access to a working AT&T sim card if that helps.

Sorry for my newbieness, I haven't messed with firmare since before they started signing.
    Last edited by shznit; 2010-05-04 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shznit View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered but I need to be sure.

Yesterday I bought a 3GS from someone who had never updated it or jailbroken it. Firmware was still 3.1.2, boot loader 6.4, baseband 5.11.07. Even though Spirit was already released I figured I didn't need it since I was still on 3.1.2 and on the unlockable baseband so I used blackra1n. It never occurred to me that it was a tethered jailbreak and I had no idea that Apple started signing firmware. The guy had wiped the phone before selling it to me and it needed to be activated through iTunes, blackra1n said it didn't need that so I hacktivated. Then I found out when the phone boots you need to run blackra1n every time.

So now I need to go back to clean 3.1.2 and JB with Spirit then unlock with blacksn0w. I ran autoshsh and backed up my blobs, however Cydia's shsh server is down so I have no idea if they were signed or not and what version it is, but this phone has never been updated to 3.1.3 so I should be ok right? Do I need to wait for Cydia's server to come back up or use a local server? Is it too late? I need to be unlocked for T-Mobile but I have access to a working AT&T sim card if that helps.

Sorry for my newbieness, I haven't messed with firmare since before they started signing.
    You cannot restore your Iphone to a clean 3.1.2 as Apple is not signing it anymore. If you want the unlock, stay with Blackra1n and use Blacksn0w to unlock. You do not have 3.1.2 blobs with Cydia. Hopefully your Iphone doesn't need a restore, if you do , you can only restore to 3.1.3.

Stay away from Spirit jailbreak if you want an unlock and you cannot run Spiritjb on top of Blackra1n, you will end up in a boot loop and there are cases whereby they can't even restore to 3.1.3.

Ok so even though this phone had a clean 3.1.2 on it since it was bought you're saying it's not signed? Or that the shsh blobs had to be backed up before 3.1.3 came out?

I will stay away from Spirit and just do the tethered thing for a while I guess.

Thanks

Ok so even though this phone had a clean 3.1.2 on it since it was bought you're saying it's not signed? Or that the shsh blobs had to be backed up before 3.1.3 came out?

I will stay away from Spirit and just do the tethered thing for a while I guess.
    That is correct, if you made a mistake in trying, you will never be able to restore back to 3.1.2 and so goes your unlock.

If you had not ran Blackra1n, that would be a different scenario. You could have ran Spiritjb and not Blackra1n would have put you in an untethered jailbreak. But don't try it now.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-06 at 07:56 AM.

So should I make a custom 3.1.2 now in case something happens and I need to restore?

Thanks

So should I make a custom 3.1.2 now in case something happens and I need to restore?
    Unfortunately, you can't use CFW because you have the tethered jailbreak Iphone...

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a 3gs that is untethered jailbreak with 3.1.2 but it is messed up and I want to try restoring it. Can I use a CFW of 3.1.2 to restore?
    My toys:
    IPhone 4 16gb
    IPad 16gb
    White MacBook
    Yamaha R6
    BMW M3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a 3gs that is untethered jailbreak with 3.1.2 but it is messed up and I want to try restoring it. Can I use a CFW of 3.1.2 to restore?
    yes, definitely, use cfw recommended, build one that is 3.1.3 and shift + restore (itunes ) to the cfw. You are all set

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well I want it to be 3.1.2 so it can be unlocked? Is that possible or no?
    My toys:
    IPhone 4 16gb
    IPad 16gb
    White MacBook
    Yamaha R6
    BMW M3

Thanks

The answers is yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 View Post
    Well I want it to be 3.1.2 so it can be unlocked? Is that possible or no?
    if you use a custom 3.1.3, you can still stay unlocked since the custom firmwares don't update the baseband. You have to use blacksn0w RC2 to use it with 3.1.3 tho, since commcenter has some changes that makes the unmodified blacksn0w crash.