Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Really lucked out

Default Really lucked out
    So I had my 3gs swapped through warranty and...

So i checked it out... I got an mb!

Then used usbview... old bootrom!

Then I checked the ecid...and there were shsh on file for 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3

All I can say is that now I'm happy and jailbroken

thanks modmyi

Wow, congratulations! Now I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy!

You are charmed I am sure! How does an Idevice get through refurb with blobs for earlier firmwares saved? Your case deserves closer consideration, hmmm?

This makes me wonder if Apple can check SHSH to see if a phone has been previously JB'd. Is it possible to back them up without JB'ing?

wow that is really lucky. I got old bootrom on my refurb, but it didn't have any SHSH blobs saved sadly. Thankfully spirit is out, but since it's userland, I'm not pwned for life and to 4.0JB might be difficult.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    wow that is really lucky. I got old bootrom on my refurb, but it didn't have any SHSH blobs saved sadly. Thankfully spirit is out, but since it's userland, I'm not pwned for life and to 4.0JB might be difficult.
    If you have an old bootrom phone, you don't need SHSHs. Custom firmwares skip signing, on already jailbroken phones, so you can restore to any version you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    If you have an old bootrom phone, you don't need SHSHs. Custom firmwares skip signing, on already jailbroken phones, so you can restore to any version you'd like.
    that only works if you were previously jailbroken, which my phone wasn't; it came with 3.1.3 oob. I now have the spirit jailbreak applied, but I don't think I can use custom firmwares since that jailbreak is a userland exploit.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

that only works if you were previously jailbroken, which my phone wasn't; it came with 3.1.3 oob. I now have the spirit jailbreak applied, but I don't think I can use custom firmwares since that jailbreak is a userland exploit.
    Have you tried it? If I were you, I would. If all fails, just restore to new and re-jailbreak with Spirit.

Please report back if you do try it as I'm quite curious myself.

Would there be any real advantage to me doing so at this point? Right now the only thing I can't do is use custom boot logos. Don really want to restore just because of how long it takes to sync 30gbs

Have you tried it? If I were you, I would. If all fails, just restore to new and re-jailbreak with Spirit.

Please report back if you do try it as I'm quite curious myself.
    it wouldn't work i've tried everything you can imagine with 2 other phones before i got the one with shsh's

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Would there be any real advantage to me doing so at this point? Right now the only thing I can't do is use custom boot logos. Don really want to restore just because of how long it takes to sync 30gbs
    Not any real advantage when you have the 3.1.3 SHSH. If you have a lot of stuff on the phone, don't bother doing it. Personally, I just like that I always have a made CFW that I can restore to if my phone messes up, but it's not really any better than always being able to go to 3.1.3 and using Spirit. I was just curious if it'd work.

Quote Originally Posted by theimapwnu View Post
    it wouldn't work i've tried everything you can imagine with 2 other phones before i got the one with shsh's
    Custom firmware skip the signing process so that wouldn't be a problem. If there was a problem, it would be not having low enough access to the phone.

sure, but i still would have needed to downgrade to 3.1.2 to be able to load custom fw

hence the need for shsh's

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

sure, but i still would have needed to downgrade to 3.1.2 to be able to load custom fw

hence the need for shsh's
    Why do you need to downgrade? Don't you just need to be previously jailbroken to load a custom firmware?

This was before spirit was available

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This was before spirit was available
    It wasn't. Spirit has been out since Monday.

Why do you need to downgrade? Don't you just need to be previously jailbroken to load a custom firmware?
    I haven't tested it, but I don't think you can load custom firmwares if you're jailbroken with spirit. Custom fws require you to enter recovery mode, and at that point spirit isn't loaded.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I haven't tested it, but I don't think you can load custom firmwares if you're jailbroken with spirit. Custom fws require you to enter recovery mode, and at that point spirit isn't loaded.
    You run CFWs on already jailbroken phones from the springboard, not DFU or recovery mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You run CFWs on already jailbroken phones from the springboard, not DFU or recovery mode.
    Hmmm, I am just wondering if someone with a the new bootrom and jaibreak with Spirit and thus becomes untethered Iphone. Then do a restore to CFW will work or not. I doubt that it will work because it is still using the new iboot. If anyone has tried it, please leave a comment.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Hmmm, I am just wondering if someone with a the new bootrom and jaibreak with Spirit and thus becomes untethered Iphone. Then do a restore to CFW will work or not. I doubt that it will work because it is still using the new iboot. If anyone has tried it, please leave a comment.
    It won't work as pwnagetool (and sn0wbreeze) changes files that are used in the bootchain. The new bootrom catches these changes and will refuse to boot.

What I'm really curious about is if an old bootrom user can jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit and then load a custom firmware onto the phone. It would be pretty sweet if that worked.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It won't work as pwnagetool (and sn0wbreeze) changes files that are used in the bootchain. The new bootrom catches these changes and will refuse to boot.

What I'm really curious about is if an old bootrom user can jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit and then load a custom firmware onto the phone. It would be pretty sweet if that worked.
    In theory it should work for old bootrom, but we will see if someone uses this method. If it does then all 3GS with old bootrom can jailbreak forever...I am really tempted to test it out though because I still have a Brand New 3GS 32GB old bootrom put away in case my present 3GS old bootrom breaks down..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast