Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need expert advice please! iPhone 3GS - OS 3.0.1 - BaseBand 04.26.08

Default I need expert advice please! iPhone 3GS - OS 3.0.1 - BaseBand 04.26.08
    Greetz everyone!

I have been visiting this site for a bit now, since I got my iphone really, as one of the main sources.

Just registered on these boards though, and I come seeking words of wisdom from the wise

I will try to explain best my situation...

I currently have the following setup:
    -Iphone 3GS [model]
    -3.0.1 [firmware]
    -04.26.08 [baseband modem firmware]

BUT... I really want to get a few apps [augmented reality/geocaching] which require that I be on the 3.1.2 firmware.

I am [sort of] aware of the issues surrounding the current firmware 3.1.3.
    But have also read that using some tools I can upgrade my firmware to the 3.1.2 WITHOUT upgrading my baseband firmware.
    This sounds good if true, as I can then have best of both worlds as far as i can see, I could run these apps that require 3.1.2 but i can also still be jailbroken.

If its 'one or the other' ... I would not want to lose my jailbreak just for these apps.

So im just looking for some confirmation really, from those in the know, and any other advice you might have please.

oh, also, if it is correct and i can use some tools [ultrasn0w?] to upgrade my 3.0.1 firmware without upgrading my baseband firmware in the process .... I guess i would then have a fresh jailbreak right? So would need to install 'everything' again?? Things like categoriessb, winterboard, rock app, all the other good things i have installed over the time?

[edit: In Cydia, it states that "this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2, 3.1.3" if that makes any odds?]

I hope this is clear, and i thank you for your time!

cheers guys
    Last edited by FNAH; 2010-04-22 at 01:04 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can upgrade using a custom firmware. Those are the ones that preserve the baseband. The best tool for making CFWs is pwnagetool (ultrasn0w is an unlocking tool that allows you to use an unofficial carrier). It's a mac only program so you'll need to get access to one of those or download a CFW already made. Google can help you find that.

The process is a restore so the phone is wiped clean and you'll need to reinstall all your apps.

thanks very much Dhamien, sounds just what i wanted.

i'll look into finding a CFW already made, that will be perfect. I dont mind having to install all my apps again, i have a list of them all, plus i done the backup thing in RockApp, so think they have a list on there too.

I dont care about unlocking either, i just want the J/B feature.

cheers

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Or you can jailbreak and on cydia there is app to fake your firmware to any of them for certain apps to work I believe, Just don't know if its updated to do the same for 3.1.3 and 3.1.2
    "I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code"

"With Great Power , Comes Great responsibility" That is something we all need to remember

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FNAH View Post
    Greetz everyone!

I have been visiting this site for a bit now, since I got my iphone really, as one of the main sources.

Just registered on these boards though, and I come seeking words of wisdom from the wise

I will try to explain best my situation...

I currently have the following setup:
    -Iphone 3GS [model]
    -3.0.1 [firmware]
    -04.26.08 [baseband modem firmware]

BUT... I really want to get a few apps [augmented reality/geocaching] which require that I be on the 3.1.2 firmware.

I am [sort of] aware of the issues surrounding the current firmware 3.1.3.
    But have also read that using some tools I can upgrade my firmware to the 3.1.2 WITHOUT upgrading my baseband firmware.
    This sounds good if true, as I can then have best of both worlds as far as i can see, I could run these apps that require 3.1.2 but i can also still be jailbroken.

If its 'one or the other' ... I would not want to lose my jailbreak just for these apps.

So im just looking for some confirmation really, from those in the know, and any other advice you might have please.

oh, also, if it is correct and i can use some tools [ultrasn0w?] to upgrade my 3.0.1 firmware without upgrading my baseband firmware in the process .... I guess i would then have a fresh jailbreak right? So would need to install 'everything' again?? Things like categoriessb, winterboard, rock app, all the other good things i have installed over the time?

[edit: In Cydia, it states that "this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2, 3.1.3" if that makes any odds?]

I hope this is clear, and i thank you for your time!

cheers guys

Everything you need is here:

http://modmyi.com/guides/?p=3170

Use PWNAGE Tool 3.1.5 and take it to 3.1.3 and it will preserve you baseband at 04.26.08
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-04-23 at 02:57 AM.

I have the same jb and unlocked phone, 3.0.1 04.26.08, and want to upgrade for the same reasons but I too am worried. Did you upgrade and if so to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and how did you do it? Specifics would be very helpful because I do not want to mess up my phone.
    Thank you so much!
    rbryant3
    Last edited by rbryant3; 2010-04-23 at 05:24 AM. Reason: left out info

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant3 View Post
    I have the same jb and unlocked phone, 3.0.1 04.26.08, and want to upgrade for the same reasons but I too am worried. Did you upgrade and if so to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and how did you do it? Specifics would be very helpful because I do not want to mess up my phone.
    Thank you so much!
    rbryant3
    I jailbroke my 3gs on 3.0
    Then used PWNAGE Tool and upgraded to 3.1
    Then used PWNAGE Tool and upgraded to 3.1.2
    Then used PWNAGE Tool and upgraded to 3.1.3
    No problems and it will not update you Baseband

Can you tell me what forum to get these in? Also, did it wipe out everything on our phone?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Can you tell me what forum to get these in? Also, did it wipe out everything on our phone?
    Thanks!
    The easiest way for you is make a custom Firmware 3.1.3 from :

SnowBreeze 1.5.2 for windows or Pwnage tool 3.1.5 for Mac.

Then once you have created the CFW, do a shift + restore (PC) and browse to the CFW and once restored, you will be jailbroken and baseband will remain the same as before. Use Ultrasn0w to unlock from Cydia.
    Yes, you will loose everything.

The above applies only to OS 3.0 or 3.0.1 out of the box of 3GS.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-04-27 at 05:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    The easiest way for you is make a custom Firmware 3.1.3 from :

SnowBreeze 1.5.2 for windows or Pwnage tool 3.1.5 for Mac.

Then once you have created the CFW, do a shift + restore (PC) and browse to the CFW and once restored, you will be jailbroken and baseband will remain the same as before. Use Ultrasn0w to unlock from Cydia.
    Yes, you will loose all your jailbroken apps from Cydia but if you have Rocks installed ( Rock backup can restore back all your Cydia Apps), Itunes Apps can sync back to your Iphone. ***

The above applies only to OS 3.0 or 3.0.1 out of the box of 3GS.
    Talk about pirated apps isn't allowed on this forum so you might want to edit your post.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

iYeow (2010-04-27)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Talk about pirated apps isn't allowed on this forum so you might want to edit your post.
    Thank you, I have edited my comment to conform to the regulations here.

I do not know whether to use pwnage or ultrasn0w? I need detailed directions if you do not mind.

Thank you SO much!

Thanks

I do not know whether to use pwnage or ultrasn0w? I need detailed directions if you do not mind.

Thank you SO much!
    Read this : http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...s-3-0-1-a.html

It is all written on this thread.

Private msg me....maybe I can guide you by remotely access your computer.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-12 at 07:59 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

rbryant3 (2010-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Read this : http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...s-3-0-1-a.html

It is all written on this thread.

Private msg me....maybe I can guide you by remotely access your computer.
    Thanks I will look at it when my children go to bed. I had JB two phones, I am just afraid if I screw up I will be left with a brick.
    I appreciate your time.

Thanks

Thanks I will look at it when my children go to bed. I had JB two phones, I am just afraid if I screw up I will be left with a brick.
    I appreciate your time.
    I noticed I have already given you the instructions to build a custom firmware, why didn't you do it ?

The key to Success is determination to succeed...there is a Will, there is a Way...

I have not had time to do it.

Thanks

I have not had time to do it.
    I guess you have children to take care and work.. LoL

No hurry, if your Iphone is still in working conditions

20. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

FNAH (2010-05-13)

I been kept busy this past month in the actual world and got a lot of catching up to do in the vitual one!

in the end, i didnt even do this, but i appreciate the knowledge been put up here, really good to know, and i suspect soon enough i WILL follow the instructions YEOW202 has put up.

Originally, I wanted to get on the 3.1.3 to use a specific app, which was a DJ mix thing and required 3.1.3, I did however find an older release of the same DJ mix app which ran on 3.0, which is what i was/am on already --- so i didnt bother doing this step up trick, i kept on my 3.0 and i got the app i wanted, so happy days.

more and more apps though are requiring the newer firmware 3.1.3, so i guess i will be following these steps real soon myself, just for now i got the app i wanted

nice for the info though, reading through it, seems simple enough

when i do get around to doing it, i will let you guys know how i get on

cheers