Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone crash

Unhappy Iphone crash
    Last night when I went to sleep my phone was fine but when I woke up this morning it was off. I attempted to turn on and the apple logo pops up and then after about 8 seconds it goes away and nothing happens. I jailbroke my iPhone (3GS) with blackra1n several months ago, my firmware version is 3.1.2. I never updated and have never had a problem until now. I attempted to reset multiple times by holding power and home button for 10 seconds with no luck. I read on some forums about entering DFU mode and shift+click restore on iTunes and manually selecting and installing the firmware. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware from several websites however when I browse the folder once unzipped, there is no .ipsw file inside. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Also one website had me manually enter an IP address in the C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file. I couldn't exactly figure out why but it said something along the lines of changing the comms server so that iTunes would allow a manual installation and that my ECID was located on that server. I didnt notice any difference in doing this. The host IP address was 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. The link for the post is Downgrade iPhone 3GS OS 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 With Cydia SHSH | jailbreak Does anyone have any advice on how I can restore my iPhone?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Don't unzip it, try renaming the file ext from .zip to .ipsw. I have that issue sometime on my XP too
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-04-18 at 09:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

cassidjc (2010-04-19)

I finally got it to work. The issue was that I was downloading via internet explorer which was automatically changing the file to a .zip. The soluation was to use another browser (Firefox, Safari, etc.) which will save the file as a .ipsw file. Once the file is downloaded you can follow the steps from http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html and it will work perfectly. I wasn't actually downgrading my software, I was just trying to reinstall 3.1.2, I just didn't know where else to post it. Hopefully this info will help you out too yeow202.

Thanks

Good for you, that is correct IE sometimes changed the file ext .zip, I never used firefox nor Safari as a browser cos I used Google translate toolbar to translate Chinese to English when i visit Chinese Websites, eventhough I am Chinese but can't read the Characters.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-04-19 at 06:45 AM.

Guys need help...ive upgraded and jailbroken my iphone 3G to 3.1.3 using snowbreeze and everything works smoothly. then i install blacksra1n to unlock and suddenly my iphone hange up. i tried to turn the power off and turn it on again but i got nothing but the blackscreen and just the snowbreeze logo...hope someone can give me some advice..please.....

Thanks

You cannot jailbreak twice on a restored Iphone, both SnowBreeze and Blackrain are jailbreaking tools. I don't use Blackrain, so I don't know much. I understand in order to unlock with BlacksnOw, you need to stay at 3.1.2. So make another custom fw 3.1.2 from Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 and restored to that fw. I believe you can unlock with Blacksn0w if you still have the 3.1.2 Baseband. Someone may have a better way, may suggest......

Oh by the way, put your Iphone in Recovery Mode when you restore, have ready your Quickpwn22 in case you end up in a Recovery Loop ( Just follow the message and it will get you out of the loop but not to use it as a jailbreak cos you are already jailbroken at this point). I think it is better in your case.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-04-19 at 09:43 PM.

thanks yeow! ive fixed my iphone by restoring to DFU, thanks also to confucious..... more power guys!