Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP! Broken 3gs required upgrade to 3.1.3 :(

Unhappy HELP! Broken 3gs required upgrade to 3.1.3 :(
    Hi--

Yesterday, I had a phone that was going into freakout mode and after a lot of trying to fix it, I resigned myself to upgrading to 3.1.3 with the hopes of re-downgrading to 3.1.2 and re-jbing it. The phone was a week 36 so it never needed tether (although I'd prefer tether to no jb at all).

Before you roast me and tell me to RTM, I 100% remember asking Cydia to 'make my life easier' while the phone was in 3.1.2 mode.

So, I modified my hosts file for gs.apple.com, attempted to ping gs.apple.com for good measure and it was going to Saurik's site. Fired up iTunes and tried to put on 3.1.2. I get the error saying "this device isn't eligible for this build". That is not even the error that Saurik says would accompany not having put the SHSH on his site. Now I'm stuck! I've tried this on 2 different PCs and one Mac with the same result. I ran a wireshark trace and I clearly see that the message about "device isn't eligible..." is coming from the 'special' gs.apple.com site (the one that starts with 74).

HEEEELLLLPPPPP!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It doesn't matter what version the phone is on when you click the button. All that matters is what Apple is signing at the time. Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 on February 2nd or 3rd so if you clicked the button after that date, you only have the 3.1.3 SHSH.

To conclude, you're stuck without a jailbreak until a new one is released.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

smccoll (2010-04-16)

AH! That makes since now. Well, I guess I'll just go to the beta 4.0OS and see if apple added the features I needed the jailbreak for. No advantage to keeping 3.1.3.

EDIT: Is there no way to brute-force this thing by having it guess every combination?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smccoll View Post
    EDIT: Is there no way to brute-force this thing by having it guess every combination?
    No, unfortunately there isn't. Not exactly the same, but someone once made a calculation of how long it'd take to gather all the SHSHs for all the possible combinations for a single firmware version and the result was something like a computer working for 11.000 days.

I'm not sure it actually compares to this situation, but it gives you an idea of the time involved.

11 days? That's not bad!

You crazy Europeans and your .s vs ,s.

Thanks for the info.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smccoll View Post
    11 days? That's not bad!

You crazy Europeans and your .s vs ,s.

Thanks for the info.

What's Jailbreak? 400milliliters's Avatar
    Thanks
    hey, i don't know if this helps, but iguru posted this great sticky on setting up your puter as a mini webserver, thus enableing you to restore to 3.1.2. given that you saved your SHSH to your computer...

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html
    *** long as you dont have windows 7 you might be able to do smething..
    To quote the last words of Plato, "I drank what?"

Too late. All gone. No more jailbreak for me. Didn't realize I was sitting on a ticking bomb this whole time. I didn't save 3.1.2 to my computer. I would have had to do that in February before Apple went stupid on us. I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks
    sorry dude, if it makes you feel any better, im stuck in abad spot too..i might have to restore to 3.1.3..ihone is stuck in reboot cycle for some odd F****g reason. and the restore method is out for me beacuse even though i have 3.1.2 SHSH blobs saved on my puter, i cant continue with restore because i'm on win 7 and so are all the puters i have access to....sigh

Quote Originally Posted by 400milliliters View Post
    sorry dude, if it makes you feel any better, im stuck in abad spot too..i might have to restore to 3.1.3..ihone is stuck in reboot cycle for some odd F****g reason. and the restore method is out for me beacuse even though i have 3.1.2 SHSH blobs saved on my puter, i cant continue with restore because i'm on win 7 and so are all the puters i have access to....sigh
    You could always use VMWare on your Win7 box and install Windows XP on it. You'd probably have the problem solved by the end of the weekend.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 400milliliters View Post
    What's the problem with Win 7? I haven't heard of any before.

Fail
    Keithsta

Thanks
    because of the OS (not really sure what exactly) there seems to be an inability to downgrade. vista or xp work fine though.

Jaja, you were right. i actually figured it out within hours of my last message to you. any new solution on the horizon for your situaiton?
    Last edited by 400milliliters; 2010-04-20 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost