Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Downgrade from 4.0 to Jailbroken 3.1.3

Default [HOW TO] Downgrade from 4.0 to Jailbroken 3.1.3
    I spent countless hours trying my hand at downgrading, but also being able to jailbreak my phone.

This useful guide here suggest a quick way to downgrade. I tried it, and it worked flawlessly in less than 10 minutes. However, after downgrading not a single jailbreaking software would work. I'm not sure if it was something I had done, or just faulty work. Whichever is the case, after a few hours of trial and error I devised a plan to be back on 3.1.3 with a solid jailbreak.

I am open to discussion, and if you find a faster, reliable way then by all means please correct me and I'll update this topic.

Downgrade from 4.0.

There may be other, simpler ways to do so, but after hours of testing this has worked for me twice.

-YOU WILL NEED SHSH FILES ON SAURIK'S SERVER FOR 3.1.3 AND 3.1.2.
    -YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT YOUR HOSTS FILE TO BYPASS APPLE'S SIGNATURE.

To do this, you'll need the following:
    blackra1n
    3.1.2 FW for 3GS (this isn't tested on any other device)
    3.1.3 FW for 3GS
    Pwnage Tool 3.1.5

Small disclaimer - I downgraded to 3.1.3 first to try and jailbreak and was unsuccessful, so I then downgraded to 3.1.2 from 3.1.3 and then did everything listed here. I have been able to downgrade straight to 3.1.2 from 4.0 so I'm just assuming you will be as well. Also, just to cover the bases, if anything should go wrong, simply put the phone into DFU mode, and upgrade back to 4.0. Then follow the instructions from the beginning.

1. Plus the device into your USB cable with iTunes open and put the device into DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, iTunes will tell you that the device needs to be restored - press okay, and then Hold Option + Click Restore and navigate to your 3.1.2 firmware.

2. After device restores, you'll be hit with a 1015 error. This is expected, just leave iTunes running and launch blackra1n. Jailbreak as normal.

NOTE: Once you begin blackra1n, you'll notice your device becomes blank, where normally you'll see Geohotz face, THIS IS NORMAL. Just leave the device alone for a minute or so, and then manually hold the power button down until the device shuts down completely. After a few seconds, power the device back on and you'll notice you are now on stock 3.1.2 (there will be no service on the device at this time)

3. After the device is powered back on, you can run blackra1n once more to jailbreak FW 3.1.2 (again, there will be no service). After the device reboots you should now be at jailbroken 3.1.2 with no service.

4. Now, close blackra1n and open up Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 and create a custom FW for 3.1.3 NOT 3.1.2. I suggest using the Expert Mode and unchecking hacktivation and boot logos. (they are cheesy anyway).

5. Once the Custom 3.1.3 FW is finished, launch iTunes, Hold Option + Click Restore and navigate to the Custom FW and allow iTunes to do it's damn thing. Once it's finished, you should happily be sitting on 3.1.3 jailbroken.

Any questions, just holler atcha boy!
    I'll subscribe to this thread, however I don't visit often so I'll be easily contacted through my twitter:
    Matthew Reakus (mreakus) on Twitter
    Last edited by Reako; 2010-04-12 at 04:26 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reako For This Useful Post:

DMI187 (2010-04-14)

Hello there. I'm really hoping for your expertise on downgrading and jailbreaking. So far, after looking for hours today on how to successfully downgrade from 3.1.3, your guide seems the most helpful as far as following steps. There are so many answers on how to downgrade (with SHSH or not) yet I haven't found one single, correct method to do so.

Here's my story: I had to do a complete restore and upgrade to 3.1.3 this morning because after rebooting my phone while having 3.1.2, it kept going into a loop at the pinapple logo screen.

After upgrading and fixing the loop, I noticed that I couldn't jailbreak my phone. I then read that Apple was preventing people from downgrading through iTunes. Man, was I pissed off.

I tried reading and searching all over Google for a solution and many have said to edit the /hosts file and downgrade via Saurik's server. I've tried that more that many and as of now, I have firmware 3.0 technically on my phone. I can't use any other firmware right now but 3.0. I tried to use Blackra1n while in recovery mode after getting a 1501 error message and it actually installed, even though I get the recovery screen upon installation.

I have no idea on how to make this work. If you have any advice, please send it my way. Thank you in advance.

maybe I'll use this if 4.0 decides to go bad

Default Baseband issue?
    Hi,

What about the issue with the Baseband now being @ 05.13.03? Can you still JB when its sitting @ that after installing 4.0? everything I had read says no.

I went through a very similar experience but but after Blackra1n on 3.1.3 just displayed the black screen I gave up and accepted I will be on 3.1.3 unJB for now.

Quote Originally Posted by iFoggy View Post
    Hi,

What about the issue with the Baseband now being @ 05.13.03? Can you still JB when its sitting @ that after installing 4.0? everything I had read says no.

I went through a very similar experience but but after Blackra1n on 3.1.3 just displayed the black screen I gave up and accepted I will be on 3.1.3 unJB for now.
    Jailbreaking doesn't necessarily involve baseband status. I'm sitting at the newest baseband with 3.1.3 Jailbroken just fine. The blank screen isn't blackra1n working incorrectly, it's just blackra1n kicking the phone out of recovery mode. You should still be able to option restore to 3.1.2, use blackra1n to kick out of recovery. Then use blackra1n to JB 3.1.2, then use pwnage to update to 3.1.3 JB with the newest baseband just fine.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

At step 2, you should also be able to just boot your phone with quickpwn 2.2 - this will leave you at stock 3.1.2 with a phone that has service (if you're with an official carrier of course). This is useful for people who have phones with the new bootrom as they can't use custom firmwares.

Hey if i upgrade to 4.0 can i restore my contacts and photos on the 4.0 OS

@Reako & dhamien

Hi,

Your instructions worked perfectly apart from getting an iTunes 2002 error when trying to restore the custom firmware but just just tried.

But my prob is still have no service after restoring custom 3.1.3....any ideas?

I am on an unlocked phone on the official GSM in SA

I am sure this is because my boot room is iBoot-359.3

Quote Originally Posted by neng212 View Post
    Hey if i upgrade to 4.0 can i restore my contacts and photos on the 4.0 OS
    Absolutely, as long as you backed up prior to the update.

@Reako & dhamien

Hi,

Your instructions worked perfectly apart from getting an iTunes 2002 error when trying to restore the custom firmware but just just tried.

No you won't be able to unlock, you've upgraded your bootrom. That's why they tell you not to a million times prior to a release. This doesn't downgrade your bootrom, only your FW. O_o
    Last edited by Reako; 2010-04-13 at 06:12 AM.

Thought u couldn't downgrade to 3.1.2 with no shsh
    Keithsta

Quote Originally Posted by iphone8130hak View Post
    Thought u couldn't downgrade to 3.1.2 with no shsh
    You do need an SHSH for 3.1.2.

Hi,

I did eventually manage to JB 3.1.2 by using the iRecovery tool....

1. Was on 3.1.3
    2. Restored to 3.1.2
    3. Used iRecovery when the phone was stuck in Recovery mode after the restore
    4. Jailbroke with Blackra1n
    5. JB 3.1.2

this was after dealing with....

1. was on JB 3.1.2
    2. Upgraded to 4.0
    3. Could only downgrade to 3.1.3 un-jailbroken initially
    4. now on JB 3.1.2

...so I am smiling

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Reako & dhamien

Hi,

I see that you got it fixed, but just wanted to comment on this. I believe this could be caused by using an activated custom firmware. An activated firmware will always need to be unlocked, even if the phone is going to be used with an official carrier.

Thank U Very Mush
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

for me all I had to do was downgrade to 3.1.3, jailbreak, get no service, restore to custom firmware, and VOILA fixed! SO...In other words downgrading to 3.1.2 isn't really necessary, just using pwnage tool is.

Quote Originally Posted by luqven View Post
    for me all I had to do was downgrade to 3.1.3, jailbreak, get no service, restore to custom firmware, and VOILA fixed! SO...In other words downgrading to 3.1.2 isn't really necessary, just using pwnage tool is.
    I tried that initially. Obviously didn't work, or that would have been my step-by-step. You are one lucky guy.

Worked for me. Thanks brah.

Quote Originally Posted by luqven View Post
    Can you use another tool besides pwnage tool to accomplish this. I tried Sn0wbreeze and that did not work for me. Also tried using a custom firmware that was already activated and this did not work for me either. Any ideas?

Update

I was able to get my 3Gs with the old bootloader working again fine with 3.1.3 and jailbroken. I used Sn0wbreeze to create the ispw and make sure you that deselect automatic activation if you are an AT&T customer. After I did that everything worked fine. Great guide thank you for the help.
    Last edited by AllTheWay; 2010-04-26 at 12:29 PM.