Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Successfully downgraded firmware w/new boot rom 3gs and jailbroke.

Default Successfully downgraded firmware w/new boot rom 3gs and jailbroke.
    I'm so happy right now. I didn't find a straight forward tutorial on how to do this so i don't know if this is a great discovery or what but i'll go ahead and put the steps here to help anyone out who's stuck.

My phone got fried a couple months ago and apple replaced it for me with a brand new 3gs with a new bootrom. it was on 3.1.2 so I was stuck with a tethered jailbreak until I had to restore it and didn't realize it would automatically update to 3.1.3.

So I was on 3.1.3 with modem firmware 05.12.01. But i successfully downgraded back to 3.1.2. My SHSHs for 3.1.2 IS on file with cydia. So if yours isn't this won't work for you.

Also I'm running the latest version of iTunes.

1. google iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore and download it. That's your 3.1.2 firmware.

2. do the notepad edit of your "hosts" file thing to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    youtube video - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqJlvUqb0w]YouTube - How to Downgrade iphone 3Gs Firmware 3.1.3. to 3.1.2[/ame] (that's not me)

3. plug your phone into itunes. hold shift and left click "restore" and find your 3.1.2 software wherever you saved it and restore from that.

4. It should start the restore process and almost finish but then give you error 1015 and get stuck in restore mode. close itunes but leave the iphone plugged in.

5. download quickpwn.
    Official QuickPWN 2.2.1 jailbreak download

6. run quickpwn. It will tell you to turn off your phone, do exactly what it says. When a blue pop of box comes up hit ok and close quickpwn.

7. your phone should boot back up to the home screen. You are now back on 3.1.2 it however does not downgrade your baseband from 05.12.01

8. download blackra1n, run and you are now jailbroken

9. still tethered
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0225.png  
    Last edited by tag8402; 2010-03-23 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is very well known... if you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file as you said this makes downgrading possible but your baseband will remain at 5.12.01.

Thanks

I think this is pretty well known if you have your SHSH for 3.1.2 on cydia you can downgrade firmware but not baseband. So you can jailbreak but not unlock.

Edit: aghh, I've been overtaken
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 2010-03-22 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Effenpig! For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-03-22)

Thanks

i didnt know this! WOW IM SOOOO AMAZED! are u a wizard?

jokes but seriously what they said

Thanks

^ not nice

( still funny though)

Well damn. Thought I found something cool

I couldn't find any information on how to go through the entire process with the error 1015 I was getting. So I was under the impression that you couldn't downgrade with the new bootrom so I gave up.

Thanks

your still cool maybe this might help someone else like Effenpig!

These guys are knuckle heads it's known but not well known and what the big problem is, is not downgrading to 3.1.2 but getting your network back cause that's what's going on with 3gs so you did find something out cause your method slightly different than other posts

I'm on the same exact boat. 3Gs same baseband, new boot. I can't for the life of me get my service. Must've tried this out 20 times. Have my SHSH on file with cydia. Just not working for me.

Forgive me if this is an absolutely dumb question, but am I supposed to see the actual .ipsw file? I downloaded the zip folder, and it has a bunch of other folders and files, but I don't see the actual .ipsw file. That is what I'm supposed to navigate to after clicking restore+shift, correct?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You may want to edit your original post and photoshop out your imei, serial number etc

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You may want to edit your original post and photoshop out your imei, serial number etc
    oops... thanks man

and no, i'm not having any problems with my service at all. my phone works perfectly. I should also note that I am on at&t in the US.

and to the other guy, yes you should see the actual .ipsw file. It looks like a white lego block with an itunes and ipod logo on it.

Yeah, I've tried everything, but can't see the "lego block". Show hidden files and folders is checked. Is it something with vista?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Change the .zip to .ipsw
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

The only thing I can think of is to make sure the file extension is .ipsw. If it's not change it and it'll change from a zip folder to the Lego block.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Either you downloaded a partial file that needs to be joined with another or you aren't using firefox. Firefox is my prefered browser for firmware downloading. You don't have to do anything with the file once the download is complete.

I still think its sexier when ur on 3.1.3 and ur baseband is still at 04.26.08. Maybe i should sell a few of my 32GB's and buy some new ones. This jailbraking/unlocking stuff is getting way too easy. Apple needs to make this a little more challenging in the future. =-)

Thanks

I'm pretty the dev team and geohot would disagree about "easy this jailbreaking stuff is getting"

This worked like a champ for me.. Only problem Im running into is I can not get "all sources" as a repository option. I installed Steffwiz repository already and usually it shows up after that.. Any one have any ideas?