Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Successful 3.1JB -> 3.1.2 stock -> 3.1.2 JB -> 3.1 JB

Default Successful 3.1JB -> 3.1.2 stock -> 3.1.2 JB -> 3.1 JB
    So i upgraded to stock 3.1.2 today to test out blackra1n. I ended up being very underwhelmed with both. So I decided to go back to 3.1. In the interest of saving a little time, i decided to try going straight to custom 3.1 rather than all the way down to 3.0, JB, then custom 3.1. It worked, which saved at least 30-45 minutes.

My environment

Vista Home Premium
    iPhone 3G[S] 3.1.2, blackra1ned

1. Upgrade to 3.1.2
    2. Make it ra1n in blackra1n
    3. Decide a blackra1ned phone kinda sucks after being spoiled with redsn0w & PwnageTool
    4. Plug phone into computer (no DFU or Recovery mode)
    5. open iTunes
    6. Shift+Restore to custom 3.1 ipsw
    7. again

I'm not sure if this means the "broken chain of trust" works in reverse or not, as it's still essentially the same basic OS (I think). But if there is anyone out there in my situation, and not impressed at all with a blackra1ned phone, and can't downgrade to 3.0, this could be a way to have a phone jailbroken at 3.1 with a Dev Team tool while waiting for either the updated PwnageTool or an updated redsn0w that can handle 3.1/3.1.2 OTB.

*NOTE*
    If you are waiting on an unlock, this will still NOT accomplish that goal.

No offense to geohot, as I appreciate him getting a 3.1/3.1.2 OTB jailbreak out, it's just not for me.

BTW, does anyone else on a blackra1ned phone have issues with Cydia loading? At least 75% of the time when I would open Cydia after installing it from blackra1n.app, I would get the "Unable to load, network timeout" error. After going back to 3.1 with the pre-installed Cydia, no more connection issues. Maybe it was just unfortunate timing on my end.
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-12 at 05:31 AM.

Besides the Cydia issue that you've described, is there any reason why you don't like blackrain?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    I would get the "Unable to load, network timeout" error. After going back to 3.1 with the pre-installed Cydia, no more connection issues. Maybe it was just unfortunate timing on my end.
    That's nothing to do with the jailbreak - That's do do with the Cydia server being overloaded/down or your iPhone's internet connection not working correctly.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is well known... the term "once jailbroken always jailbroken" applies here. Once you are in a jailbroken state the chain of trust is broken so you don't need signed files which is why you were able to use a CUSTOM ipsw. If you had attempted to go back to stock 3.1 you would have gotten an error though BTW.

with this method, will it hacktivate my iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by animex View Post
    with this method, will it hacktivate my iphone?
    No...If you go to stock 3.1/3.1.2 you lose the unlockable baseband.

If you want to be unlocked at 3.1 you MUST use a custom 3.1 ipsw from PwnageTool. Support for custom 3.1.2 in PwnageTool should be coming soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This is well known... the term "once jailbroken always jailbroken" applies here. Once you are in a jailbroken state the chain of trust is broken so you don't need signed files which is why you were able to use a CUSTOM ipsw. If you had attempted to go back to stock 3.1 you would have gotten an error though BTW.
    Isn't apple still signing 3.1 though?
    Edit Poseidon: Yes... for now Good catch.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-10-14 at 01:36 AM.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am getting left behind! Still on 3.0.1./jailbroken. Hopefully by the time I get home this week there will be a 3.1.2 pwnage that preserves my 4.26.08 baseband.

Thanks

pwnagetool is coming very soon. It's done now.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

So lets say, IF i was on a JB 3.0 and i wanted to go with a custom 3.1 (to keep the baseband)....Would this be easily possible or would i be forced to go with an apple 3.1 and be forced to have my baseband locked?

Thanks

If you were on a jailbroken 3.0 with the 4.26.08 baseband, you can restore to a custom 3.1 ipsw and therefore preserve your unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    If you were on a jailbroken 3.0 with the 4.26.08 baseband, you can restore to a custom 3.1 ipsw and therefore preserve your unlock.
    Yes i am on that exact version with that baseband.

Can u point me in the direction of a good custom 3.1 and a how to section. Thanks...=-)

Ok so i have a custom firmware.......But my phone is currently 3.0 activated with ATT from the factroy.....If this custom 3gs 3.1 firmware is (not activated). Will it stop my phone from activating in itunes, even though mines an att phone.
    Last edited by l0k0; 2009-10-13 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Downgrading to 3.0
    My phone (33GS) is on 3.1.2 and jailbroken with blackra1n. After the jailbreak I stored my 3.1 ECID SHSH on Saurik's server. Cydia confirms that I have a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file. I tried to downgrade to 3.0 using Saurik's instructions (because I want tethering), but didn't work. Is it because I don't have the 3.0 ECID SHSH on file? Is there a way for me to downgrade?
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by jazkaz View Post
    Is it because I don't have the 3.0 ECID SHSH on file? Is there a way for me to downgrade?
    Thanks for your help!
    That is the exact reason, and no, there is no way for you to get back to 3.0 due to Apple being a huge ******bag

15. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

jazkaz (2009-10-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    no he would have not gotten an error if he was on official 3.1 and downgraded to custom 3.0. he has a 3.0 SHSH blob on file.

broken chain of trust doesn't matter when you have someone like geohot hacking current OUT-OF-THE-BOX firmwares in about 2 days

i undated with the isp in the download section and yea getting a error when I try to go back down to 3.0 .....will i still me able to contain my unlock

Is there a way to get a custom 3.0 firmware for the 3gs?

how can i go back to 3.0 that will work on itunes ,,,,,,and is there are way to get pass connect to itunes without a att sim card

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGuru View Post
    That's nothing to do with the jailbreak - That's do do with the Cydia server being overloaded/down or your iPhone's internet connection not working correctly.
    true, its server, not blackra1n. and only problem with it is that it doesn't allow iphonebrowser etc, but theres already an app in cydia that fixes this too...

Default Jailbreaking Iphone 3GS Firmaware 3.1 Sucess
    Guys i execute purplera1n for jail my Iphone this ok is very simple!!!