Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand new 3.0.1 3GS in Recovery Mode

Default Brand new 3.0.1 3GS in Recovery Mode
    Hello,

I have a brand new iphone 3GS that has been put into [accidentally] put into recovery mode. It is on O2 Pay As You Go, and has been activated at purchase. I am trying to jailbreak it with pwnagetool, but instead got the device into recovery mode instead of DFU. When I try to restore to a fresh 3.0.1 (noncustom) it gives me an error that my device isn't eligible. Can someone help me

1) Get out of Recovery Mode
    2) Get Pwnagetool to recognize my device in DFU mode
    3) Succeed!

When I tried to put the iphone in DFU mode (before it went into recovery) pwnagetool refused to recognize the phone when turned on (displayed the "Connect you Phone" msg) except when the phone was booting up, when it gave me the timings, which I followed and it went into something like DFU mode (IE black screen, no response from button presses unless both pressed together for 15 secs), however pwnagetool told me that the device wasn't in DFU mode.

Suggestions, or perhaps an alternative method to do this (a pointer to a guide would be great)

Also - if all of these questions are a bit too much, help me answer one - how do I get my phone out of recovery mode in 3.0.1?

Thanks!

Hold the home & sleep buttons until you see the apple logo to get out of recovery mode. And PwnageTool won't jailbreak a stock 3G[S] at any 3.x OS version as far as I know. As long as you still have a bootable OS once you get out of recovery mode, look for redsn0w 0.8, and use that instead. Google for redsn0w, AND for tutorials on how to jailbreak 3.0.1 with redsn0w. If they tell you to restore first, just ignore that step. as long as you have a working install of 3.0 or 3.0.1, you can just jailbreak with redsn0w 0.8
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-11 at 02:04 AM.

Unfortunately, holding Home and Sleep doesnt get me out of recovery mode. It boots to the apple logo, and then shows me the recovery screen again.

Try this

Hold home & sleep together for 15 seconds. release home & hold sleep for 2 more seconds. Timing is critical. Try at least 3 or 4 times if unsuccessful

...OR...

Since you are in recovery mode (where you need to be for redsn0w 0.8 anyway) google for how to jailbreak 3.0.1 on a 3g[s] and see if that does anything for you.

Best of luck. I hope you didn't screw yourself into an upgrade to stock 3.1.2...There are currently no jailbreak tools for stock 3.1/3.1.2 (yet)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

x2d3wow (2009-10-11)

Go to YouTube and type in "recovery mode loop" you will find what u are looking for. Can't place link as I am using phone at present

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

hold home and power untill the phone shuts down AND restarts again.KEEP HOLDING BOTH. it will shut off again and stay off (if you are unplugged)

It seems that that just running redsn0w on it seems to have worked.
    Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Best of luck. I hope you didn't screw yourself into an upgrade to stock 3.1.2...There are currently no jailbreak tools for stock 3.1/3.1.2 (yet)
    Not true as of something like 5am EST.

blackra1n

Will jailbreak 3.1 and 3.1.2 on the 3G(S) but forces you to upgrade the baseband. Not a big deal if you don't care about unlocking, but I'm hoping to wait for a new baseband unlock to bother going up to 3.1.X+

That is why I said (yet)

I was highly dissatisfied with 3.1.2 & blackra1n. I'm currently restoring my custom 3.1 to use until Dev Team releases a jailbreak tool worth using

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    That is why I said (yet)

I was highly dissatisfied with 3.1.2 & blackra1n. I'm currently restoring my custom 3.1 to use until Dev Team releases a jailbreak tool worth using
    My apologies, I think I misread part of the post. I was actually attempting to get my wife's phone set up with 3.1 (had ECID on Saurik's server thankfully) and I'm just getting everything back in place now.

Looks good so far aside the whole lack of a carrier logo, which as I understand was a common problem)