Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS running 3.01 -If You Were Me ?

Default 3GS running 3.01 -If You Were Me ?
    Hi,
    I am loving my jailbroken (redsnow) 3GS which is running on 3.01 but i am concerned if i have a problem with it and need to restore what the hell am i going to do ?

If you were me , what would you do this minute to protect my current status ?

I am reading about capturing ECID and producing .shsh files etc but am still a little confused .

I have read SAURIK (the legend that is!) Blog but still its not straight forward to me on what i need to do to have some backup in case of a problem in the future.

My Question is this...
    Can somebody please give me a step by step (inc links . software) on what you would do to protect my current status ?

I would be greatly appreciated and maybe we could make a sticky for such questions on how to protect peoples current setups ?

Read a little bit.

If you ever need a restore from JAILBROKEN 3.0 OR 3.0.1, you can download a custom 3.1 firmware that was created with Pwnage Tool (or make one yourself if you got a Mac) and restore straight to it. There are tutorials all over the internet, I have faith that you can find them.

Looi ,
    Thanks for the reply ..

My concerns are there seems to be alot of posts from people who have had a perfectly working jailbroken 3GS but suddenly after downloading something from Cydia (or other) there phone wont boot up ?

If this was to happen then how would somebody go about restoring and jailbreaking and a phone that wont even boot up ? ...unless going the offical Apple restore option ....WAIT ...a penny just dropped ...

Is is it just a case when restoring that you hold down SHIFT and browse to one of these "custom restore" files you talked about ?

If you jailbroke your phone at 3.0.1, and you had a problem where it doesn't boot or any other screwiness requiring a restore, your phone would still be jailbroken (as long as you don't restore to official firmware before you try to load the custom firmware). Then yes, you would just shift+restore to a custom 3.1 firmware in itunes. Then you would have a jailbroken 3.1 that boots. And as long as you never go to stock firmware, you could ALWAYS shift+restore to your custom 3.1 in case a restore becomes necessary.

Thanks Your a Gent...And i did come across custom firmwares whilst Googling ! better get me a copy !

Good luck! Just be careful what you download. Make sure you can trust it. And if you need unlock capabilities (non official carrier) get an "activated" custom firmware. If you are on an official carrier get an "unactivated" custom firmware.

L,
    I just opened Cydia on my 3gs and it says on top welcome screen "this device has a 3.1ECID SSH on file" ..I am thinking this is a good thing right ?

Can u please tell me how this is for my benifit ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

this means no matter what future FW Apple rolls out, you can still downgrade back to 3.1 at least

But since its allready jailbroken doznt that make it like a 3g wherein it can accept any ipsw signed or not?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

no

Quote Originally Posted by Staj View Post
    But since its allready jailbroken doznt that make it like a 3g wherein it can accept any ipsw signed or not?
    Big difference. 3G does not require apple's "ok" to accept firmwares. Jailbroken or not. 3G[S] is the first phone to require the signature blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.saurik.com/id/12
    The Signature Server

Of course, new hardware comes every year, and Apple decided to strike hard with the new iPhone 3G[S]. Rather than just throw in new local protections, Apple decided that every restore of the device would be verified as being valid and safe by Apple itself.
    I am not positive, but as far as I know, there was no PwnageTool for 3.0 or 3.0.1 for 3G[S]. In theory, you might be able to go from 3.1 JB down to a custom 3.0 (if that even exists), but I am not sure if the broken chain of trust even works in reverse like that. Plus, with 3.1 fomatting some part of the memory different than 3.0, I imagine it would still be an a$$pain to downgrade, even to a pre-jailbroken ipsw.