Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Maintaining FW 3.0 / 3.0.1- NOT Upgrading OR Downgrading

Default Maintaining FW 3.0 / 3.0.1- NOT Upgrading OR Downgrading
    Hello everyone

This is my very first post here and its in the interest of getting an answer to the question thats been bugging me for a while. I dont even know if this is the right section to be posting this (considering this the JB/UPgrading/DOWNgrading forum) but I would like to know what procedure to follow in order to restore to the same FW I have on my phone currently

I am positive that there are many users in the same situation as me and I havent managed to find direct answers to some questions I have in this regard, so this is a call to arms if you will to all the Iphone gurus that are out there

I have 2 distinct scenarios with very simple questions but allow me to clarify before I even begin that I have been connected to happenings in the Dev Team blog and am fully aware that there is Jailbreak available for 3.1 and possible unlock maintaining the BB etc

I understand that one of the 3.1 JB is that theres no more tethering hack, thats a dealbreaker for me and besdides Im happy with how my phones beahiving with 3.0.1. So Id like to leave well enough alone for now...

Case 1: I have a 3GS that came out of the box with FW 3.0.1. I used Rensn0w to JB using the 3.0 ipsw, put in all the goodies, got tethering working, managed to get on Cydia in time (I think) and I see a message "This device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file" everytime I open it. In general its running great. Its not unlocked at the moment, but Id like to conserve the possibility of doing so in the future
    Questions: a) - If I end up screwing up whatever tomorrow and need to restore my telephone, should I follow the exact same procedure that saurik describes on his website? Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) - Even though the procedure there speaks of downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0?
    b) - Secondly, once in the DFU mode, can I select the 3.0.1 firmware instead of the 3.0 described?
    c) - And lastly does all this need to be done with a specific version of Itunes (keeping in mind compatibility with Redsn0w for the posterior JB)?

Case 2: I also own a 3G. This one has the 3.0 FW installed on it. 3.0.1 wasnt big enough a change, so didnt bother with it and am not interested in 3.1 at the moment as described above. I actually need to restore this one cus its running slow. If I understand it right, the whole not being able to restore to a previous FW fiasco is only applicable to the 3GS
    Questions: a) - Can I restore the 3G to 3.0.1 directly via Itunes selecting the corresponding ipsw and then JB with rendsn0w by selecting the 3.0 FW like I did previously?
    b) And lastly does all this need to be done with a specific version of Itunes (keeping in mind compatibility with Redsn0w for the posterior JB)?

I hope you guys can help resolve these queries
    Thanks

Case 1:
    a) You should prepare yourself to one day upgrade to 3.1. Right now you should read the sticky post at the top of this forum, go through what they say about creating your own verification server set up and get your 3.1 ECID SHSH files stored on your computer.
    b) The only reason that you must do this is because one day if your phone doesn't boot or needs a restore for any other reason you are guaranteed to not be able to use 3.0 / 3.0.1 as I'm guessing you haven't already cached the necessary files and it's not possible to do so.
    c) Version doesnt matter

Case2:
    a/b) You will always be able to use 3.0 or 3.0.1 with a 3G phone
    Last edited by Comedy; 2009-10-05 at 04:47 PM.

I think The previous poster missed the fact that you have a 3.0 SHSH on file with Cydia. Yes you can restore to 3.0 (unlikely 3.0.1 because saurik got very few 3.0.1 SHSHs) as much as you like and re do redsn0w and keep the tethering and jailbreak.

With the 3G phone, you can restore to 3.0.1 directly, yes.

I made the assumption that if his 3GS came with 3.0.1 he bought it past the cutoff to cache them still with Cydia but yes, if he was lucky enough to do so then he will always be able to use it but I think his best option is to prepare to be able to go down to 3.1 before a new firmware comes out and they stop signing that too.

Thanks Steve

So given that I have the 3.0 ECID SHSH on file at cydia, basically I must follow Sauriks procedure to redirect Itunes to the Cydia database, do a normal restore to 3.0 and then will I be able to Jailbreak with redsn0w as I did earlier? So I should be able to regain my phone to its current state (with tethering etc) right?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadamanthys View Post
    Case 1: I have a 3GS that came out of the box with FW 3.0.1. I used Rensn0w to JB using the 3.0 ipsw, put in all the goodies, got tethering working, managed to get on Cydia in time (I think) and I see a message "This device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file" everytime I open it. In general its running great. Its not unlocked at the moment, but Id like to conserve the possibility of doing so in the future
    Questions: a) - If I end up screwing up whatever tomorrow and need to restore my telephone, should I follow the exact same procedure that saurik describes on his website? Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) - Even though the procedure there speaks of downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0?
    b) - Secondly, once in the DFU mode, can I select the 3.0.1 firmware instead of the 3.0 described?
    c) - And lastly does all this need to be done with a specific version of Itunes (keeping in mind compatibility with Redsn0w for the posterior JB)?
    If you have 3.0 on file, then you will be restoring to 3.0 (3.0.1 will not work, I tried).

Yes follow saurik's guide except you should only have to restore once and get no errors since you would be restoring to essentially the same firmware and not going back down from 3.1 Basically you just have to edit hosts file, and do a shift+restore.

And no, itunes version doesn't matter, as long as it is at least the minimum required version to be compatible with 3G[S]. I have been doing all of my recent downgrading, jailbreaking, and upgrading with itunes 8.2.1.6 without a hitch. If I upgrade itunes, then I have to upgrade iphonebrowser. F dat.

Im a little confused now Comedy
    Up until now, I was hoping to remain at 3.0.1 because the 3.1 JB doesnt permit tethering.

Are you suggesting that I upgrade to 3.1 via pwnage maintaining my current BB (JUST to get the ECID SHSH on file for 3.1) and then DOWNgrade back to 3.0.

In other words, even though I CAN restore / downgrade to 3.0 since I have the 3.0 ECID / SHSH on file at this point in time, I WONT be able to do so tomorrow??

Please somebody clarify this..... Im trying to future proof my phone and dont want to jump to any early bird mistakes. Im happy with how my phone is right now and would like to know that at the very least I can maintain the state of affairs.....

You will be able to go to 3.0 at will if you have your info on file (it's even better if you download the shsh for yourself for safe keeping)

I downgraded my 3g[s] to 3.0 twice last night for an experiment, and am back at 3.1 JB now.