Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question that could help alot of 3.1 users

Default Question that could help alot of 3.1 users
    Why do you need to have your own ECID number on the Saurik Server to downgrade to 3.0 FW? Since apple isn't signing anyones firmware and your going through Sauriks server. COuld I use someone elses 3.0 ECID shsh blob files that are on Sauriks server to downgrade? ECID is just a number right? Maybe we could share that files.

ECID is unique to the device. Kinda like a serial number concept. the signatures generated by apple are based on the ECID, and therefore also device specific.

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    ECID is unique to the device. Kinda like a serial number concept. the signatures generated by apple are based on the ECID, and therefore also device specific.
    I understand that but correct me if im wrong when u downgrade to 3.1...(with 3.0) on Sauriks server your not using Apple your using Sauriks server to resign your old firmware correct? if thats the case why not share ecid and use umbrella to re create a 00.shsh file then re install 3.0 on a phone with 3.1 that didnt get a chance to save his 3.0 firmware

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

think of it like a unique access code. a specific "encryption" that allows the software to work on THAT phone and THAT phone alone. using another ECID wouldn't really work cos the firmware wouldn't be "encrypted" right to fit the phone.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Umbrella & Make My Life Easier button = simulated restore request to apple. Apple sends back signature for current authorized firmware, based on the device specific ECID. Umbrella (or Cydia) catch and store the signature that apple sends back in response to the restore request.

In order to use saurik's server to downgrade requires having a phone with an ECID that matches the ECID SHSH on his server.

If what you are suggesting was possible, don't you think EVERYBODY with a 3G[S] could stay at 3.0, as long as they knew about the hosts file modification? And if that was the case, there wouldn't be 20 pages of threads in this section.