Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 3.0.1 to 3.1

Default 3GS 3.0.1 to 3.1
    I have a confession to make - I'm a n00b and a bit in over my head at this point. I apologize in advance, and I sincerely thank anyone who is capable/willing to help or simply who will point me in the right direction.

I have a jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 - I'm a bit lost as to how I can make the jump to 3.1 with the new pwnage tool. Do I simply just re-jailbreak and tell it to use the hacked firmware?

Again, I apologize for what is probably a very dumb question - I'm a bit short on the terminology, so I think that's been the real problem. Is there a good wiki or something out there that can provide a good, detailed overview of jailbreaking, downgrading, etc? That way I can figure this stuff out on my own in the future?

Thanks!

At the moment, the dev team hasent come out with a jailbreak for 3.1 for the 3GS. If you do happen to update (like I did), it is near impossible to downgrade to 3.0.1 again to a jailbreakable state. So you have 2 optios here.
    1. Update to 3.1 and wait until the dev team releases something

2. Jailbreak on 3.0.1 while waiting for the 3.1 jailbreak

Hope this helped
    good luck =D

Quote Originally Posted by Cholli8 View Post
    I have a confession to make - I'm a n00b and a bit in over my head at this point. I apologize in advance, and I sincerely thank anyone who is capable/willing to help or simply who will point me in the right direction.

I have a jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 - I'm a bit lost as to how I can make the jump to 3.1 with the new pwnage tool. Do I simply just re-jailbreak and tell it to use the hacked firmware?

Again, I apologize for what is probably a very dumb question - I'm a bit short on the terminology, so I think that's been the real problem. Is there a good wiki or something out there that can provide a good, detailed overview of jailbreaking, downgrading, etc? That way I can figure this stuff out on my own in the future?

Thanks!

There are a couple of tutorials on how to upgrade your JB 3.0.1 to 3.1. There's one written by Poetic Folly Here and one on iClarified Here.

Basically what you said in your post is correct. You create a new Firm Ware and use that to upgrade instead of the stock Apple one. As for terminology/general info The iPhone Wiki is a good place to start.