Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick 3GS Question

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Quick 3GS Question
    So after all the problems I had with my 3GS and my wife's 3G, if anyone remembers, I replaced my 3GS with Apple.

It was almost a bad scene, as the Tier 2 tech support on the phone told me to tell the store to give me a new phone, as mine was only a month old. Well the guy at the store tried to tell me the only way they could give me a new phone was to cancel my contract, start a new contract, give me a new number, and then I would have to "deal" with AT&T on my own terms with the early cancellation fee for cancelling the contract.

It took a lot for me to remain calm lol

Any way long story short, they gave me a refurbished phone, and Apple is going to send me an advanced replacement new one in the mail.

The phone I have now is on 3.0 firmware, so I went ahead and jail broke it, and then once again clicked "make my life easier" on Cydia.

So here's my question, are the files on Cydia for 3.0, so that means I can always downgrade to 3.0?

I already manually installed the ipcc settings so I have mms working, is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1 and then redowngrade to 3.0 to jail break, or is this even possible yet?

I am probably going to keep this phone, unless the new one in the mail is on 3.0 too, I see no reason to send this one back even though it is supposedly refurbished, I see no physical wear of it being used, and it actually looks a little better than my month old one did lol...

Thanks!

you have 3.1 files on file with cydia. it is no longer possible to get 3.0 files in cydia, or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    you have 3.1 files on file with cydia. it is no longer possible to get 3.0 files in cydia, or anywhere else for that matter.
    How are they 3.1 files though, when I am on 3.0 and have not updated to 3.1? Just curious.

During a restore, a request through umbrella, or clicking the button in Cydia, your ECID number is sent to apple, and it responds with a custom signature for your ECID. Since they are no longer signing 3.0 or 3.0.1 (and havent been for almost 3 weeks) there is no possibility of obtaining those signatures. Only 3.1

Thanks

Ok, maybe I am missing something here. I under stand that apple is no longer signing older firmwares, I understand what umbrella does, as well as tiny tss. What I am failing to understand is how is it caching a 3.1 ECID etc..when 3.1 has never been near my phone, and I have not done anything with iTunes or any reinstalls etc...I only jail broke, connected to Cydia, and accepted the help. I am just confused as to how it is a 3.1 ECID when I am not using it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    Ok, maybe I am missing something here. I under stand that apple is no longer signing older firmwares, I understand what umbrella does, as well as tiny tss. What I am failing to understand is how is it caching a 3.1 ECID etc..when 3.1 has never been near my phone, and I have not done anything with iTunes or any reinstalls etc...I only jail broke, connected to Cydia, and accepted the help. I am just confused as to how it is a 3.1 ECID when I am not using it...
    When you click "Make my life easier" in Cydia, or use Umbrella to get your ECID SHSH file, they both do the same thing.
    They fake the request that would be sent normally during the restore process to Apple's verification server, and then cache the result.

Now, as the only version being signed right now is 3.1, then that is the only request it can make to Apple's servers.

Think of it this way, if you were to plug it up to iTunes, and press restore, it would request your 3.1 ECID SHSH, and then return the result to iTunes.

In this case, instead of returning the result to iTunes the result is returned to Saurik's server or Umbrella, so this is how the request sent is completely independent of the OS version you currently have on your iPhone.
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-10-01 at 01:48 PM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)