Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help restoring my 3GS 3.0.1 to 3.0.1. again

Default Need help restoring my 3GS 3.0.1 to 3.0.1. again
    Hey all,

I arranged to have my iphone 3GS 3.0.1. factory unlocked and my provider said I needed to restore my iphone in order to complete the unlock.

The problem is that Apple only allows me to restore AND upgrade to 3.1 I don't want to upgrade to 3.1 because I want to jailbreak my iphone once the factory unlock is complete.

Is there any way I can restore my iPhone to 3.0.1 and not have to proceed with the upgrade?

I don't have an ECID cache on Cydia because this iPhone's new and I haven't jailbroken it. Is there anything I can do here?

My main goal is just to be able to have a factory unlocked 3.0.1 phone that I can jailbreak. It's just the darn restore that's getting in the way.

Unless your provider can hook you up with a special procedure to get a FW3.0.1 signed by Apple, the answer is no.

If your phone is indeed factory unlocked, at least you can wait till the jailbreaked 3.1 to come out

Oh okay! Thanks Buddha! I've got one last quick question though:

Would I be able to jailbreak my 3.0.1 now and just wait for the 3.1 jailbreak to be released and THEN restore it? IN other words, can I do this and still ensure that the factory unlock goes through?

I'm just worried that if I jailbreak it now, it'll cancel the factory unlock put through by Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha321 View Post
    Unless your provider can hook you up with a special procedure to get a FW3.0.1 signed by Apple, the answer is no.

If your phone is indeed factory unlocked, at least you can wait till the jailbreaked 3.1 to come out
    ^ can't you download the 3.0.1 fw from MMI? and then option click on the restore in itunes?
    Last edited by elle49; 2009-09-29 at 04:09 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elle49 View Post
    ^ can't you download the 3.0.1 fw from MMI? and then option click on the restore in itunes?
    can you download the ipsw? sure.

can you restore with it? nope.

ac88, if you jailbreak your 3.0, you should be able to UPGRADE it to a jailbroken FW ver 3.1

But the problem is, your provider told you a restore is needed to complete the unlock, which I really don't know the mechanism is(would it be that you need to activiate it with Apple), so i really don't know what the answer is.

If I'm in your position, I'll probably upgrade to 3.1 to see if the unlock works first, as you can bring it back to your provider if it's not, then wait for the tools to jailbreak 3.1 to come out, but then it's only me.