Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dumb question I am sure re: ipsw files

Default Dumb question I am sure re: ipsw files
    Any chance that adding the shsh blob to an ipsw file could circumvent the whole "phoning home" behavior of itunes? I seriously doubt it, but just a thought I had, and I really don't feel like trying to restore my phone just to test, fail, and have to do it the right way.

Also, another thing I was wondering. Arent't the ibss & ibec files they were telling people to grab by running 2 restores called

iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    &
    iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    ?

If so, do they get modified during the install process? If they don't why not just go into the ipsw and pull them out?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Any chance that adding the shsh blob to an ipsw file could circumvent the whole "phoning home" behavior of itunes? I seriously doubt it, but just a thought I had, and I really don't feel like trying to restore my phone just to test, fail, and have to do it the right way.

Also, another thing I was wondering. Arent't the ibss & ibec files they were telling people to grab by running 2 restores called

iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    &
    iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    ?

If so, do they get modified during the install process? If they don't why not just go into the ipsw and pull them out?
    They are part of the required data for restore, yes.
    However there are 18 other parts that go along with those two files to create a valid restore.

My article on the restore server goes into each of these 20 files in some detail, if you are interested.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

Quote Originally Posted by iGuru View Post
    They are part of the required data for restore, yes.
    However there are 18 other parts that go along with those two files to create a valid restore.

My article on the restore server goes into each of these 20 files in some detail, if you are interested.
    I understand they are only a part of the required data, just curious why the tutorials to run through 2 complete restores while watching the temp file like a hawk to snag them if they can just be pulled straight out of the ipsw. Unlwss they are modified during the restore/install process. I read your article, and that's what prompted me to try and look inside the ipsw file. I had a random thought "what if I just put my 3.0 shsh inside the 3.0 ipsw? I wonder if that would stop itunes from phoning home if the signature is included in the ipsw"

I'm sure it wouldn't work, but if it did, it would mean a true offline restore process. Cuz when I was having issues with my phone, i had no internet connection for a while while trying to fix it, and itunes wouldn't even query TinyTSS for a signature. Just kept telling me there was no internet connection.

Oh, and when I run umbrella with my unmodified hosts file and use the -v 3.0 flag, I get a command prompt with the xml stuff inside it, but no shsh file. I only tried it cuz you mentioned that status 94 or whatever on a failed "handshake" between itunes & apple. I just wanted to see it. I get curious. But there is no header info in the xml inside the command prompt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Initially I assume people thought those two files would be enough, unfortunately we now know that they are not.

Umbrella does not return the header details, however as you're interested, I found the response details by packet sniffing while getting iTunes to attempt to restore a 3.0 ISPW - I obviously knew this would not work, and was curious to what the response was myself (during my research for the purpose of the article).

The headers & response were as follows:

Code:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:00:00 GMT
    Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
    X-Powered-By: Servlet 2.4; JBoss-4.0.5.GA (build: CVSTag=Branch_4_0 date=200610162339)/Tomcat-5.5
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 70
    MS-Author-Via: DAV

STATUS=94&MESSAGE=This device isn't eligible for the requested build.
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-09-27 at 03:49 AM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)