Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it safe to upgrade to 3.1 and wait for an unlock ?

Default Is it safe to upgrade to 3.1 and wait for an unlock ?
    My 3GS is currently bricked @ FW 3.0.

iTunes only lets me upgrade to the still-locked 3.1 FW.

My question is: do you guys think it is safe to upgrade to 3.1, have it locked but not bricked (at least) and use my 3GS as a plain iPod?

I don't care about waiting a few days for the jailbreak+unlock as long as it comes.

Dev team blog says the new baseband my be locked forever. How true is this, since they were able to break all previous basebands: iCommunity - Jailbreak information at a glance

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not an expert but I would say no, if you do not have a valid At&t sim card it probably wont activate and you still be stuck?

pls do not do it, you will screw it

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avibrazil View Post
    My question is: do you guys think it is safe to upgrade to 3.1, have it locked but not bricked (at least) and use my 3GS as a plain iPod?

I don't care about waiting a few days for the jailbreak+unlock as long as it comes.
    Don't do it, it shouldn't be much longer until the Jailbreak is released. Then, when it is released it'll be safe for you to update.

If you update now you will loose your unlock, possibly forever. Apple really stripped down the baseband with 3.1, making it much harder to find an exploit.
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-09-25 at 08:45 PM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

Quote Originally Posted by iGuru View Post
    it shouldn't be much longer until the Jailbreak is released.
    Are you guessing, or do you have inside info?

Quote Originally Posted by avibrazil View Post
    Dev team blog says the new baseband my be locked forever. How true is this, since they were able to break all previous basebands
    Well considering the dev team are the ones who have unlocked all the basebands, I would think they would know what they are talking about on their own blog. Makes sense, yeah?