Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: How to reinstall 3.0 on a 3GS

  1. #1
    Default How to reinstall 3.0 on a 3GS
    My 3GS hangs the boot process in the Apple logo because I installed wrong things in Mobilesubstrate. Its a Springboard problem but makes everything inaccessible, even through SSH.

    If I try to reinstall the FW, iTunes only lets me install 3.1 which I don't want because its not ready for unlocking.

    How to reinstall a 3.0[.1] firmware on this 3GS? How to transpass iTunes downgrade protections (or be-in-the-same-grade in my case) ?

    Redsn0w won't install a complete firmware, it will only patch the installed one.

    So which other tool (no iTunes, no Redsn0w) can I use to install a 3.0 FW ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Download and custom 3.0 ipsw built by pwnage and restore to that.

  3. #3
    How to restore since iTunes only allows upgrades to 3.1? It won't let me restore a 3.0 FW.

    Or you didn't read my post carefully or I didn't get it. Hope its the second case so I'm waiting for clarification.

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    If your phone is currently jailbroken which means it's "pwned" it should always accept a custom firmware. Signed or not. I did read your post. kthanks

  5. #5
    Poseidon79, is there a way to install a FW other then iTunes ?

    My 3GS OS is jailbroken but doesn't boot. So my question is: which tool should I use to reinstall a 3.0 firmware? iTunes won't do it.

    Thanks in advance.

  6. #6
    As far as I've been told, less you have your ECID SHSH files for 3.0 saved, there is no way to restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1. I wanted to do it, posted a thread about a week ago and was told it would never be possible to restore to those FW's w/o the SHSH. You're gonna have to either get the 3.1 upgrade, or wait for them to crack it, then upgrade to 3.1. In anycase, a restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1 is not possible.

  7. #7
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    [email protected] yes. broken COT means you can: JB->custom3.1->custom3.2->customX.Y etc, as long as you don't fall off the JB bandwagon

    The only reason you need a ECID on file is if you fell off the JB bandwagon and restored to a STOCK firmware at any point.

  8. #8
    Poseidon79, your last reply does not answer the question of HOW to reinstall a FW.

    I'm ON the JB bandwagon but iTunes only lets me UPGRADE, not restore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Layhee View Post
    In anycase, a restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1 is not possible.
    Thats what I thought, but I'm trying to be 100% sure about that so I can move to wait for 3.1 JB instead of trying to reinstall 3.0.
    Last edited by avibrazil; 2009-09-25 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 109 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    [email protected] yes. broken COT means you can: JB->custom3.1->custom3.2->customX.Y etc, as long as you don't fall off the JB bandwagon

    The only reason you need a ECID on file is if you fell off the JB bandwagon and restored to a STOCK firmware at any point.
    I think you are misunderstanding what he said there Poseidon79 - What he means, is assuming you jailbreak, you can always update to newer versions when they are jailbroken not downgrade to a previous version.

    To downgrade this requires the corresponding ECID SHSH, or Apple to currently allowing restores to that version.
    If jailbreaking allowed you to bypass the restore verification, there would never be any need for getting your ECID SHSH files in the first place!
    Last edited by iGuru; 2009-09-25 at 09:58 PM.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Download and custom 3.0 ipsw built by pwnage and restore to that.
    First of all, pwnage can't handle 3G[S] yet (hopefully soon), so there is no such thing as a "3.0 ipsw built by pwnage" for the 3G[S]. If such a thing existed is it even true that one could restore to the custom firmware without itunes "phoning home"? I have not seen a definitive answer for this. We will know soon enough when the dev team releases an updated pwnage tool.

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 109 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
    First of all, pwnage can't handle 3G[S] yet (hopefully soon), so there is no such thing as a "3.0 ipsw built by pwnage" for the 3G[S]. If such a thing existed is it even true that one could restore to the custom firmware without itunes "phoning home"? I have not seen a definitive answer for this. We will know soon enough when the dev team releases an updated pwnage tool.
    I don't see how it would be possible how to bypass the restore verification, but I would absolutely love to be proved wrong.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

  12. #12
    Well since 3.0 is already jailbreakable on a 3G[S], and there is no way to make itunes install an unsignable firmware (unless you have your 3.0 info on file in Cydia, which if you do, no need for a custom ipsw if you are downgrading from 3.1 as the baseband is already irreversibly updated at that point), a custom 3.0 ipsw from PwnageTool would be absolutely useless. What the people that need an unlock (that haven't gone up to 3.1) are waiting for is a PwnageTool for 3G[S] 3.1. Everyone else that just wants a jailbreak is waiting for a normal jailbreak tool for 3G[S] 3.1 such as an updated redsn0w. People that upgraded to 3.1 that need an unlock are praying their little eyes out that the new baseband can be unlocked at some point.
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-09-26 at 05:02 AM.

  13. #13
    I have a similar situation where I have a 3GS. I have jailbroken 3.0.1 but it seems to have corrupted where I can not run cydia, or any other non official apps. How can I reinstall 3.0.1 firmware now as apples seem to be checking all the install firmwares ?

  14. #14
    my 3gs iphone is jailbroken with redsnow on 3.01 and unlocked with ultrasnow. My phone froze and keeps getting stuck on reboot. according to poseidon79 i need to find a custom 3.0 pwnd firmware, that itunes accepts right? Well where can i get that from since there was never a pwngetool for 3gs iphones

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by avibrazil View Post
    My 3GS hangs the boot process in the Apple logo because I installed wrong things in Mobilesubstrate. Its a Springboard problem but makes everything inaccessible, even through SSH.

    If I try to reinstall the FW, iTunes only lets me install 3.1 which I don't want because its not ready for unlocking.

    How to reinstall a 3.0[.1] firmware on this 3GS? How to transpass iTunes downgrade protections (or be-in-the-same-grade in my case) ?

    Redsn0w won't install a complete firmware, it will only patch the installed one.

    So which other tool (no iTunes, no Redsn0w) can I use to install a 3.0 FW ?

    Thanks in advance.
    I got exactly the same problem with ya bro. Trying to find a way through so will notify you if I find something cool and please please, inform me whenever you got your problem solved

  16. #16
    ahmadj, most likely Poseidon79 doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no such way to install custom 3.0 IPSW if you didn't cach your 3.0 apple signatures on Cydia.

    Folks, I have found a lot of crash logs in CDocuments and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\my-iphone related to iDNS, an app installed from Cydia.

    I guess this was the original problem that caused my Springboard to fail. My morning plan was to use iPhoneBroser to delete this app from the device filesystem. But it didn't work... the point that phone hangs there is no such browsing services.

    So the tip for you is: check your iTunes logs and use SSH or iPhoneBrowser to remove the failing piece. Maybe you get more luck than me and your phone works again.
    Last edited by avibrazil; 2009-09-26 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonlulu View Post
    I got exactly the same problem with ya bro. Trying to find a way through so will notify you if I find something cool and please please, inform me whenever you got your problem solved
    i was trying to exlain to my friend for half an hour that it wasn't possible but he just kept ignoring me.

    i have a question if i upgrade to 3.1 and its j/b will i get service if i'm using at&t? or is my service locked

  18. #18
    elcid316, if you upgrade to 3.1, you'll get a phone that works with AT&T but is not jailbroken, meaning you'll not be able to install software from Cydia or use your iPhone as true Unix box.

    But communications will work with an AT&T chip.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to avibrazil For This Useful Post:

    elcid316 (2009-09-27)

  20. #19
    Here are instructions on how to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 on the 3GS
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    I'm about to try that because right now I have an un-jailborken 3.1 3GS which was JB back in 3.0. It won't let me do the new MMS carrier update aparently because I had that AT&T carrier logo back then and it must be embedded somewhere with the official 3.1 FW loaded on the phone right now.

  21. #20
    chisss, the link you provided won't help. Everybody knows it already.

    Please read it before posting a wrong tip about it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •