Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand New 3GS :-) 3.1 Factory Installed :-(

Default Brand New 3GS :-) 3.1 Factory Installed :-(
    Okay, so I just bought a new 3GS, along with a new 2YR contract.

My 2G just died :-(.

When I walked in asking for 3GS she was all "ooh we just got them in today". I should have walked out right then.

My 3GS has 3.1 installed, from the factory :-(.

Basically I really want to Jailbreak this thing. It's almost useless to me without JB. Dont really care about unlocking (for now anyway)

I believe it's not too late to return it.

I have heard rumors that a JB solution will come, but I dont really know much about it.

Do you guys think I should try to return the 3GS and exchange it for a 3G? Or should I just try to be patient as it's pretty much guarenteed that a JB solution will be released at some point in the near future.

My biggest fear is that I might NEVER be able to Jailbreak this thing, and I'm stuck with what ammounts to me as a "polished turd". I am looking for reassurance from someone in the know, that my fears are misplaced, and the 3GS 3.1 is in fact Jailbreakable.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for setting my mind at ease.

Also, MAD respect to the coders and hackers that have given me 2 years of jailbreaking pleasure om my previous phone.

UPDATE:!! 3.1.2 3GS now jailbreakable with Blackra1n.
    Last edited by formfactor; 2009-10-11 at 07:34 PM. Reason: jailbreak now available

Well, since 3.1 is jailbreakable on 3G, I would imagine 3G[S] 3.1 jailbreak is coming. Besides, dev team has stated that a redsn0w update is being worked on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Would have thought they will get a solution for 3.1 without having the ecid files , look at Greenposi0n on the net looks like they have another hole they can jailbreak but need to test it first.

Also think that after tomorrow for the carrier mms update they will release something to jailbreak otherwise they would have released jailbreak and it then could have been fixed again by apple screwing us again

Greenpois0n sorry cant spell

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same problem as you OP. I switched to ATT on friday, and clearly asked them to make sure the firmware was the old 3.0. I got home and sure enough, I was stuck with 3.1

I even went to the Apple store and asked if I could be downgraded because I was having power issues. They said hold off until the update this week and see if that fixes it

Ok fellaz, Thank you for setting my mind at ease. That's really what I was hoping to hear. I will be [anxiously] awaiting the next release from either Greenpois0n or redsnow.

General Klinger, it's like they act like they understand what your saying, but completely ignore it. I wonder if they know we want the old firmwares for jailbreaking. I think we will be glad we waited once the exploit is released. I really cant wait to have a jailbroken iPhone with 2x the speed/power.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post
    They said hold off until the update this week and see if that fixes it
    Interesting, that tends to suggest 3.1.1 is being released this week.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

A 3.1.1 release in the coming days is likely as this FW was released for the iPod touch a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by iGuru View Post
    Interesting, that tends to suggest 3.1.1 is being released this week.
    I don't know, I actually asked the rep at the ATT store yesterday if the MMS would be added in a firmware update, and she did not seem to know how exactly they were going to deploy that. She said it would be deployed via iTunes.

So could go either way. Carrier update, or entire firmware update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i hope the DEV Team releases the jailbreak soon because you can be SURE Apple will stop signing 3.1 the day 3.1.1 is released

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

I am going to upgrade since I believe that 3.1 will be jailbroken for the 3gs. My info is on saurik's server and I am not so worried about unlocked (only when I sell on ebay is that an issue) but I need it to be jailbroken. If it takes a couple of weeks, I am okay with it but my 3.0.1 is acting up alot now.
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    i hope the DEV Team releases the jailbreak soon because you can be SURE Apple will stop signing 3.1 the day 3.1.1 is released

I don't know what exactly that means, but it doesn't sound promising as far as my 3GS 3.1 jailbreak is concerned

same same situation here...
    http://tobi.houfek.de/forumStuff/naziapple.jpg <- click if not offended...
    Quote Originally Posted by formfactor View Post
    "polished turd"
    made me laugh... I-phoned t-mobile Germany today and since I only got it yesterday they said if its in a ok condition and if I got the whole packing and stuff I can send it back until next monday... Seriously thought about getting a Nokia N900 instead...
    Well, I'd like to make a ECID file and i followed the instructions here ... it's german... well basically you can:
    1. set your device in recovery mode
    2. download USBview and start it, (mac use system profiler)
    3. mark Options->Config Descriptors, (only on windows)
    4. press F5, (only on windows)
    5. search for "Apple Recovery (iBoot) USB drive", (only on windows)
    6. search for ECID (16 digits),
    7. paste that into the hidden text field on purplera1n and press Enter

to download a ECID file... unfortunately this didn't work. The last step failed, purplera1n didnt offer me anything after pressing enter... I really have no use for it now except that maybe instead of editing my C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts like stated in Sauriks blog, I might host the ECID on my own apache and edit the the hosts so it looks there instead of cydias server to sign my 3.0 ? no idea if that works... maybe, and I'm sure I need it sooner or later. Better to have one as long as it stills works...
    I don't know what exactly that means, but it doesn't sound promising as far as my 3GS 3.1 jailbreak is concerned
    that means nothing formfactor, just stay away from any 3.1.1 updates, in fact stay away from all kinds of updates until you know that there is a jailbreak available for it...

EDIT:
    I'd really be interested if anyone thinks hosting my own ECID file might work for downgrading ?

EDIT2:
    ok.. forget EDIT above... out of luck
    http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html
    It is not possible to downgrade/restore your iPhone 3GS to 3.0/3.0.1 unless you backed up your 3.0/3.0.1 ECID SHSH via Cydia on the few days that you were actually able to - you can no longer do this, if you missed this opportunity, you are out of luck.
    Last edited by zillion42; 2009-09-25 at 12:53 AM.

Hey zillion42 I also saw that bit about having to have backed up your ECID file the few days you could in cydia in order to be able to downgrade.

I havn't actually tried anything yet because of that, but I do have a question for you.

During what you tried, were you actually able to create a ECID file?

If so, then there probably is a way to spoof sauriks server, and someone will come out with a method soon...

But the ECID crap seems to be the m,ajor roadblock, so if its possible to get that over usb, that could be very promising.

again, i dont know much, this is all guessing.
    Last edited by formfactor; 2009-09-25 at 02:02 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    During what you tried, were you actually able to create a ECID file?

We can still retrieve ECID and generate SHSH, but they are of 3.1, not 3.0/3.01, so what's the use?
    They are only good for future downgrading from 3.2/3.3/...

Ok, I see what you mean. That really sucks.

Thanks

what I mean is 3.0 and 3.0.1 firmwares are no loger supported nor allowed by Apple on the 3G[S]. Probably because they can be Jailbroken and Unlocked.

3.1 can still be Jailbroken but not unlocked, IF you update through Apple's official servers. If you wait to use the upcoming Pwnage/Redsn0w tool, you will be able to keep your unlock as well. Make sure to register your ECID info through Cydia NOW! and use the Firmware Umbrella to keep a personal copy on hand.

As soon as Apple finds the hole that the DEV team uses to patch the firmware (3.1), they will block it and release a NEW firmware (probably 3.1.1 or 3.2) and STOP allowing people to use 3.1, which is looking more and more like the end. Pretty soon there will be NO holes left to sneak our jailbreaks and unlocks through.

i hope im making more sense

I really wish that 3.1 was jailbroken already
    My 3.0.1 has been acting funky I think I will restore and maybe that will help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I really wish that 3.1 was jailbroken already
    My 3.0.1 has been acting funky I think I will restore and maybe that will help.
    resist my brother, resist.

A screwey phone for a few days is better than the bricked phone i have.

resist my brother, resist.

A screwey phone for a few days is better than the bricked phone i have.

restore to factory defaults to me does not mean upgrade my phone without my permission... evidently Apple's definition of restore to factory defaults is to upgrade me to the newest version of the OS that was never on my phone before... /me = completely owned... I think it's starting to be close to petition time ;D I actually did not mean to do the full restore, I just wanted to try to use signing server saurik put up to pass off my ECID. Oh well, I can't believe how lame the iPhone is in it's factory state though... at least I was able to get app syncing set back up. just mad that I have the 3.0.1 backup and it won't let me go to it, that is crap. I may call and complain that I was not ready to upgrade yet and blah blah already had problems and such...

Madman604x, That is my main concern. I cant use cydia to back up my ecid at the moment since my phone came with 3.1 installed, and I cannot JB to get cydia, and back up.

I was really hoping here was a way to capture the ECID over usb, then upload it to sauriks server, then downgrade to 3.0 (3.0.1?) and then jailbreak. Maybe there is? (doubtful from what you and others have said).

Could there be a way to do that? It doesn'tsound like it. It sounds like if u capture the ecid on 3.1 that is only useful in downgrading BACK TO 3.1 from later firmwares,and will do nothing to help downgrade back to 3.0.

I am really hoping the genius minds at chronic dev team can overcome these obsticals.

I agree, the end of the jailbreak world seems nigh. It's very disconcerting. A jailbroken iPhone is the best PDA ever, and it seems like apple is determined lock it. It's so frustrrating. I mean the 3gs hardware is astounding, non-jailbroken it literally is a polished turd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast