Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Q about factory unlocked 3G[s]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Q about factory unlocked 3G[s]
    so if the countries they are sold in have laws requiring the phones to be factory unlocked. isn't what Apple doing with 3.1 FW ILLEGAL? They are forcing the people to lock their phones due to failures on Apple's software/hardware.

or is my understanding of this wrong?

If the phone is factory unlocked, baseband updates don't do anything but potentially fix issues with older versions of the baseband. If those folks with the factory unlocks were jailbroken and upgraded to 3.1, all they should have to do is jailbreak when the 3G[S] 3.1 jailbreak is released. There should be no effect whatsoever on their freedom to use whatever provider they wish.

Thanks

ah, i thought that the baseband was the defining thing that made a phone locked or unlocked. i seem to recall a post by a member who bought his phone unlocked in Dubai. flashed it here and it was locked.

sorry, i meant the people who don't JB their phones. probably 90% of all iPhone users

I know the post you are referring to. I think the guy got scammed personally. Didn't he say he bought it from some random store, not Apple or any Dubai carrier? But I am no expert either, but to me, factory unlocked means unlocked regardless of baseband.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    I know the post you are referring to. I think the guy got scammed personally. Didn't he say he bought it from some random store, not Apple or any Dubai carrier? But I am no expert either, but to me, factory unlocked means unlocked regardless of baseband.
    Factory unlocked does indeed mean unlocked regardless of baseband version. Whoever this happened to got lied to. Sucks to be him
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

I wonder what it is about factory unlocked phones thats different from locked ones as maybe there's an alternative way to unlock the phones using a hardware method on the circuit board with careful soldering between a maybe few dots/contacts on the chips or circuit board?

Thanks

probably a specific chipset soldered on at the factory level. at any rate this type of soldering on such a delicate device is probably beyond the scope of most people who want to JB.

There have been knowlegeable people who have disassembles the iPhone only to have it go up in a puff of black smoke, neverming soldering connections. I do recall Geohot unlocked the first iphone using some soldering and jumpers. theres a youtube vid of him being interviewed for the news

So, just to make sure I fully understand.

If I have a factory unlocked iPhone 3G or 3GS, I can always update the firmware to the latest one Apple releases without fear of it being (accidentally) locked? The only thing I would need to worry about is if I jailbroke it before, I would need the latest software to jailbreak it again?

Yes Hazen
    I have factory unlocked 3gs and updated to latest fw and jailbroke it no problems.