Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: saurik ECID backup or local ECID backup

Default saurik ECID backup or local ECID backup
    I haven't jb my phone yet hence i cannot get my ECID backed up on Saurik's server via CYDIA. however i have used local backup method and have it on file on my desktop.

Question:
    1) Is it enough to have local backup or do you need to backup at Saurik's (advantage of one vs another)

2) Do i have to JB to backup on Saurik's server.

3) Is local backup enough.

I think you can edit hosts file and point to saurik's server and then run a restore. Saurik's server will catch your ecid files this way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by uguess View Post
    1) Is it enough to have local backup or do you need to backup at Saurik's (advantage of one vs another)
    You can use my umbrella app to get your local ecid shsh files. Honestly neither is better than the other. It is likely EASIER to use saurik's machine for restores as all you have to do is point your hosts file to HIM and restore. The only 2 things that umbrella / tinytss offer you is the ability to do it all locally. No external reliance on someone else's servers. The second offer is that if you are already on 3.1, you can save your 3.1 ecid shsh blobs locally without having to be jailbroken.

As of now, there is no way to 'store' your ecid shsh files on cydia (saurik) without trying to perform a 3.1 restore from itunes. (Saurik i believe is automatically requesting your 3.1 ecid shsh files if he already has your 3.0/3.0.1 files)

This is less-than-optimal in my opinion. I think its a bit better to be able to keep your phone in your pocket while you request your 3.1 ecid shsh files.

2) Do i have to JB to backup on Saurik's server.
    Yes you do. You cannot access cydia's app (which points to the cydia homepage with the additional benefit of obtaining info you cannot get from a simple webapp

3) Is local backup enough.
    I think Saurik's service and umbrella/tinytss are two tools that work together and support one another more than they compete with another. I did not write umbrella and tinytss to try and "win" people away from saurik. I wrote it because *I* wanted my *OWN* ecid shsh files. And i figured I wasnt alone. So i released the app source and all.

Saurik provides external storage and an external tss. I provide local storage with a self-contained way to restore using your local machine as the tss server.

Honestly, six in one hand, half-dozen in another.

There IS a way to have your 3.1 shsh blobs on file with Cydia even if you haven't JB AND there's no need to restore to 3.1.

Just google for "tss.xsl" and, if you have just a bit of *nix/scripting experience, you should be able to figure out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsemaphorex View Post
    As of now, there is no way to 'store' your ecid shsh files on cydia (saurik) without trying to perform a 3.1 restore from itunes. (Saurik i believe is automatically requesting your 3.1 ecid shsh files if he already has your 3.0/3.0.1 files)
    I think this is untrue. I have a new 3G[s] which I jailbroke last night (came with 3.0 firmware). The moment I pressed 'make my life easier' my 3.1 shsh blobs are stored on saurik's server. No 3.1 restore is necessary to get the shsh blobs on his server.
    Last edited by filberto; 2009-09-23 at 07:08 PM.

I thought that using umbrella with the host file pointing to saurik's server would also store the blobs on it.