Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yet another 3Gs stuck on apple boot

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRJohn View Post
    I downloaded the 2 parts, but they saved as RAR files
    That would be beacause they are rar files...

HJ split has nothing to do with it.

Oh, BTW...The way HJSplit works...You browse for the .001 file and select it. As long as the other parts (.002 .003 etc) are in the same folder it joins them. You don't need to point HJSplit at anything other than file.001
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-04 at 07:22 PM.

So how do I get to the 001, 002 files? I pointed HJS to the folder where I downloaded the 2 parts and nothing shows up.

So how do I get to the 001, 002 files?

You don't. Again....HJSplit has NOTHING to do with rar files. Change the file extensions back to what they were originally, and use WinRAR to extract the contents.

Aaaaa, okay. I'll try that. Thanks

In order to extract the iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw file from the two .rar files, do the following.

1)Download the two .rar files into a directory on your computer.
    2)Install winrar on your computer. You can use this link to get it from PB
    WinRAR_3.80_Professional (download torrent) - TPB
    3)Double-click on the file with the ...part1.rar file. Winrar will automatically extract the single .ipsw from the two rar files.

So then what do I need to with HJS?

Thanks for the help btw.

So then what do I need to with HJS?

Thanks for the help btw.
    HJSplit has nothing to do with it. get HJSplit out of your head.

Install WinRAR, right click the .part1.rar and choose "extract here".

Then use that file to restore to?

If that's right why the he'll does it tell you to combine with HJS? Thanks again for the directions.

Is the file that was extracted called iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore? If so, then yes, restore in itunes with that. I am not sure about the HJSplit thing. Maybe the dude that wrote the blog post doesn't understand rar files or something.

The first custom firmware listed on the page is in four parts that have extensions .001 - .004 and HJSPlit is required to combine them into one .ipsw file. The other two custom firmware links have two .rar files each that need Winrar to extract the .ipsw file. I was initially confused about the same thing.
    Last edited by draish; 2009-10-05 at 01:36 AM.

^^Good catch. Blog dude should clarify that. and he should pay us for helping people that get confused by his post

WELLLLL....I did it. It unfroze my phone, but it is stuck on the "Insert Valid SIM with no pin lock" screen. I have a friend with AT&T and am gonna try dropping in his SIM card tomorrow. I figure with my luck that it's just completely updated....baseband and all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopKat View Post
    I got a 3gs yesterday (1st iphone ever) so im going to try an be as clear as a noob can

It was on firmware 3.0.1 and i did a redsnow 0.8 jailbreak.

Working fine and added a few apps. Saw the cidia shsh thing and clicked it (got a message back saying to check back tomorrow as the list was big)

installed winterboard and reboot phone.

Now stuck on apple boot and could not get into recovery mode.

Managed to get into recovery mode by plugging the cable in and holding home.

When trying to restore (shift+click) to either firmware 3.0 or 3.0.l it will not work.
    I think you can fix this by restoring a custom 3.1 firmware generated by PwnageTool 3.1.3, which is designed to JB FW 3.1 as long as you have not updated your FW past 3.0.1.

1. Download a custom firmware that was generated from PwnageTool 3.1.3 from a friend.

For T-mobile and non-official Apple carriers
      iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore_Activated.ipsw

For AT&T and official Apple carriers

iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore_Not_Activated.i psw
    2. Put your iPhone 3GS into recovery mode by
      • Turn the device completely off and disconnect it from cable/dock.
      • Hold down the home button.
      • While holding down the home button connect to a computer with a cable (easiest) or dock.
      • Keep holding down the home button until you see a connect-to-itunes screen. You are now in recovery mode.

3. Open iTunes. It should detect that your iPhone 3GS is in Recovery mode.
    4. Press Shift+Restore (Windows) or Option+Restore (Mac) and select your custom 3.1 firmware.

If this won't work, then you must have updated your firmware to 3.1 and baseband (modem FW) 05.11.07.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Sorry to hear that it did not work for you GSXRJohn. My 3GS was running jailbroken 3.01 firmware when it froze up two weeks ago. I did not need or use an unlock because I am with ATT.

After it first locked up I used iTunes to (attempt to) roll back to the 3.01 firmware. It loaded the firmware to the sram, but the process terminated when it phoned home to Apple. After I discovered this forum I understood the situation and I put my iPhone in the shelf for two weeks until the jailbreak was released. I essentially did what reddog described (non activated ipsw) and it worked for me on the first try. Good luck.

I got it. I downloaded the 3 set of links that said "Activated" and it did it just fine.

Thank God!!! It's fixed!!! lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234