Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob question about Saurik's Caching Sig Serv Instructions

Default Noob question about Saurik's Caching Sig Serv Instructions
    In particular, to the instructions here
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

I have a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file. However when I go to follow the above instructions to add "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com " to the file located at "CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows)"
    the computer doesn't recognize the file type and asks me what program I want to open it with when I click on it. Do I need to download a program to open this file? What should I use? Thanks.

Thanks

Open the file with notepad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

makisupa79 (2009-09-22)

Thanks, got it opened, but now vista isn't letting me save the changes I make. grrrrrr.

My iphone/jailbreak/vista experience has made the decision for me that my next laptop is a mac. Unfortunately that's at least a year away.

type this in the start menu:

echo 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Then in the start menu again, type this and make sure the ip shown matches the one above

ping gs.apple.com

If it doesnt you'll need to do it with an admin logon. easiest way is to search cmd in the start menu, right click, run as administrator and paste the first line in there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Comedy For This Useful Post:

makisupa79 (2009-09-22)

Quote Originally Posted by makisupa79 View Post
    Thanks, got it opened, but now vista isn't letting me save the changes I make. grrrrrr.

My iphone/jailbreak/vista experience has made the decision for me that my next laptop is a mac. Unfortunately that's at least a year away.
    don't blame the computer when you clearly don't know the basic workings of the windows operating system

you need to be running notepad as administrator to save these changes. go to the startmenu, type in "notepad" without the quotes, right click the icon, click run as administrator. in notepad, go to file, open, browse to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and type *.* double click hosts
    Last edited by MegaGoo; 2009-09-22 at 07:01 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MegaGoo For This Useful Post:

makisupa79 (2009-09-22)

Thanks for the instructions.

Yes, I clearly don't know the basic workings..hence the "Noob" in the thread title. And fwiw, my vista/windows frustration has a lot less to do with this situation, and more to do with the trouble it gave me when trying to jailbreak the phone originally.