Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: sad conclusion: i cannot stay at 3.0 or 3.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

Default sad conclusion: i cannot stay at 3.0 or 3.1
    ok so my phone is stuck at the apple screen and i have tried far too many ways of restoring it. all of which have failed:

-irecovery
    -ssh-ing in and moving the guarddog file
    -ssh-ing in and modifying the springboard startup file
    -flashing with itunes 2.1.1.10, 2.8.23
    -the above, with tinytss and 00.shsh blobs
    EDIT:
    -RE JB ing with redsn0w and purplera1n. both still leave me stuck at the Applpe logo

i am pretty much at a loss. last resort to get my phone up and running again is to update to 3.1

how can i go about updateing so i can still have some possibility of a JB. unocking is secondary. i NEED my phone operational.

i have nothing stored on Saurik's servers
    i DO have the blobs from xsemaphorex's umbrella program

can someone give me a step by step on how to update to 3.1 safely?

thanks.
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-21 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Safely?? There's no magic trick. Either you're on 3.1 or you aren't.

Have you tried running redsn0w on it? It's a long shot, but it saved my *** this morning when I managed to make my phone not even accept official 3.1 through itunes.

Thanks

tried re JBing as well (i forgot) and to no avail.

so to get my phone running again my only hope is to just update via iTunes to 3.1 and pray Dev Team or someone comes through, knowing fully well i will not be able to unlock afterwards, only JB, correct?

EDIT 2

OMFG!

light at the end of a really F'in long tunnel! i re JBed with redsnow and my phone got to the springboard however...

ther are only 2 icons. Youtube and Cydia. cydia doesnt work and youtube has no wifi connection. not icons on the dock or anywhere else.

iTunes now recognizes the phone and i am offered the option of setting up or restoring

dare i attempt a reboot?

any ideas?
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-21 at 08:36 PM.

Myself, i would do a hard reboot, then try redsn0w one more time at least before giving in to the update.

Thanks

^^ thats what i was thinking.

however it seems that the firmware may be corrupted as the phone doesn't have even the most basic icons. searchlight is there however. if one app was gone forever, why wasn't it that one?

anyone else have suggestions?

EDIT hard rebooted, went back to same springboard with no icons.

attempting re JB. now will this flash the whole FW back onto my phone?

nope. gonna try a sync now.
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-21 at 09:24 PM.

im in a similar boat. i screwed up a password file and now i boot-loop. i tried jailbreaking with purple snow and redsnow but neither worked.

you don't have 3.0 blobs right? you would have had to have captured them before thursday before last. thats the only way to restore as you probably know

a JB should be out soon for 3.1 3gs and you should be fine although musclenerd urges that you never update to apple firmware because i assume of a chance that you won't be able to JB again. "once jb, always jb".

if you restore to 3.1 you'll just have to live with a legit phone for a little bit. any unlock however is apparently in jeopardy for an indefinite amount of time

i personally have been using a backup phone for 11 days now waiting for a JB

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    ^^ thats what i was thinking.

however it seems that the firmware may be corrupted as the phone doesn't have even the most basic icons. searchlight is there however. if one app was gone forever, why wasn't it that one?

anyone else have suggestions?

EDIT hard rebooted, went back to same springboard with no icons.

attempting re JB. now will this flash the whole FW back onto my phone?

nope. gonna try a sync now.

Thanks

well tried a sync, nothing either. so i am on the springboard and have only 2 icons LOL.
    No service, no wifi.

so there is no way that redsn0w can make custom ipsw's like before and flash my phone? i remember it being a very lengthy process.

well itunes now recognizes my phone and offers me two choices.

(1)set up as a new phone

or

(2)restore from a backup

now if i set up as new, will it automaticly download and install 3.1? or am i safe with it restoring my phone? I'm not really sure what it does...sorry for the n00b question.

EDIT: st up as new did nothing. i still have no apps or original software save youtube and a non functioning cydia icon.
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-22 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost