Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS simlock free updated to 3.1, help

Default 3GS simlock free updated to 3.1, help
    Hi,

I just returned from a trip to dubai and bought a 3GS 16GB there, which is simlock free. The shop I bought it told me I could update it without problems. I put my german vodaphone card in and placed a few calls, everything worked fine. When I got back to the hotel, I installed itunes and updated to 3.1 and now I can't find netservice anymore. In the info tab it says my network is Carrier 5, I can't change that. I didn't know about Cydia until I found this site, please help.

I think you originally got a JB phone so you can dial using your own sim card. After you went back to hotel and upgraded to 3.1, your baseband also got upgraded that means it is no longer an unlocked phone. Unfortunately there is no way so far to downgrade it back to the original basebase and no way to unlock. So you are stuck laterally with an itouch unfortunately unless you use it with a SIM card of the operator where the phone is originally sold for (may be Dubai, may be soemwhere else)

But JB means that someone has unlocked it, doesn't it?
    Mine was bought new and sealed.

Do you get an 'invalid sim card' message and do you get any service bars at all when your sim card is in there?.. Plus, what network are you using the phone on.

no, Unlocked means u can use any sim, jailbroken means u can add 3rd party apps and activate it

I have a german vodaphone card. I put it in the phone after unpacking it and it worked I got network bars and all. Then (shame on me) I truseted the shop I bought it and updated the phone to 3.1 and after that no network bars. Itunes says that the card is invalid.

Thanks

Well I think ur trusted shop repackaged a jailbroken phone and like stated above , u updated and removed the unlock....

I have a german vodaphone card. I put it in the phone after unpacking it and it worked I got network bars and all. Then (shame on me) I truseted the shop I bought it and updated the phone to 3.1 and after that no network bars. Itunes says that the card is invalid.

Did you buy it with cash or credit card?.. If you used credit you can charge it back.

I bought it with credit card. Does anyone has any suggestions what else to do?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    return the phone while you're still there!

Hi
    I have the same problem the only different that I bought it from the states and told it is factory unlocked and started to use it in Abu Dhabi then upgraded it and lost the signal. Hope dev-team will find for us a solution
    I will follow this post
    be well