Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia 3.1 ECID SHSH service is up now.

Hey guys. I am very confused.

I did the dev teams jailbreak on my phone back on version 3.0 (which is what i am currently still on). So I have NOT updated to 3.1 or 3.1.2. My baseband is 04.26.08, and I did the backup via CYDIA which says my "3.0 ECID is on file with Cydia". I also did the "redirecting your iTunes signing process".

Now all i want to do is update to version 3.1.2 (so I can have MMS and such) and still be jailbroken. Yet I dont see anyway to do this on my PC. And it looks like DevTeam says they will not even support this. Is that correct?

If so can I use the blackra1n program to update my software and jailbreak? I know i "can" but I mean does doing that update my baseband and thus screw me for the future? I just want to make the best decision but find all the info so confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moxyman View Post
    Hey guys. I am very confused.

I did the dev teams jailbreak on my phone back on version 3.0 (which is what i am currently still on). So I have NOT updated to 3.1 or 3.1.2. My baseband is 04.26.08, and I did the backup via CYDIA which says my "3.0 ECID is on file with Cydia". I also did the "redirecting your iTunes signing process".

Now all i want to do is update to version 3.1.2 (so I can have MMS and such) and still be jailbroken. Yet I dont see anyway to do this on my PC. And it looks like DevTeam says they will not even support this. Is that correct?

If so can I use the blackra1n program to update my software and jailbreak? I know i "can" but I mean does doing that update my baseband and thus screw me for the future? I just want to make the best decision but find all the info so confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    If all you want to do is jailbreak, not unlock for a different carrier use Blackra1n after you update to 3.1.2. If you want to jailbreak and unlock you CANNOT update to 3.1 or 3.1.2 as your BASEBAND will be updated.

I do not want to unlock only jailbreak.

So you mean I should update via itunes to 3.1.2, and then afterwards jailbreak with blackra1n? Wont updating my already jailbroken phone with itunes brick it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moxyman View Post
    I do not want to unlock only jailbreak.

So you mean I should update via itunes to 3.1.2, and then afterwards jailbreak with blackra1n? Wont updating my already jailbroken phone with itunes brick it?
    No it will not brick it, but it will remove all your cydia/********** apps. You will either have to use aptbackup or just redo everything. I choose to redo everything because I want a fresh install. I do the upgrade and then I do a restore of the same firmware again and choose to set it up as a new phone. This will make everything factory reset.......then blackra1n, then sync with intunes.....

Hi, I have an iphone 3gs FW 3.0. I want to install a few apps but I am worried about messing up my phone. I have a 3.1 ECID SHSH stored on cydia's server. If something does go wrong and I have to restore my iphone, can I restore it to FW 3.0 using a copy of the old 3.0 FW and still be able to do the soft carrier unlock and jb?

Quote Originally Posted by nicktrix View Post
    Hi, I have an iphone 3gs FW 3.0. I want to install a few apps but I am worried about messing up my phone. I have a 3.1 ECID SHSH stored on cydia's server. If something does go wrong and I have to restore my iphone, can I restore it to FW 3.0 using a copy of the old 3.0 FW and still be able to do the soft carrier unlock and jb?

No.

Thanks L00i3 for your response, but can you explain to me why not? I am pretty new to all of this. I have a copy of the old 3.0 FW which I d'loaded from a site hosting the old firmwares and I am currently running the 3.0 FW which is jailbroken an unlocked on my iphone.

nicktrix - you cannot because the phone will validate the signature found on the restore files that itunes creates specifically FOR YOUR PHONE.

See.. essentially what happens is itunes will take the stock ipsw (which is generic for everyone) and will add a secure signature hash of your ecid to each unit of that restore.

This signature is VITAL because in the bootrom of the phone (the completely inviolable, unchangeable code that resides ON YOUR PHONE) EACH hash is compared to the data it corresponds to. If there is a mismatch, the phone will raise an error and itunes will present you with one of their pretty XXXX error popup messages.

The code that checks this hash cannot be changed. It cannot be stated enough. It cannot be changed. However, there are exploits that can affect HOW that code executes. This is where 24kpwn comes in. In the most simplest terms I can give, the 24kpwn exploit allows the developer to effectively skip the signature checks in the bootrom. Conceptually it looks like this:

Code:
    ADDRESS    COMMAND
    1000       Check LLB signature
    1010       If OK GOTO 1020 ELSE GOTO 1110
    1020       Check ...
    1030       If OK GOTO 1040 ELSE GOTO 1110
    ...        and so on
    1090       Check last hash
    1100       If OK GOTO 1200 ELSE GOTO 1110
    1110       *****BIG ERROR STOP RESTORE****
    1200       YAY EVERYTHING IS OK!
    I cannot think of a simpler way to explain it to non coders. I may be wrong on the order of what is checked. If I am and it offends you, chill out as I'm fairly new to the scene and don't have everything memorized. Anyway, what 24kpwn allows the developer to do is change the flow of the above example so that when Check LLB signature returns, instead of 1010 being the next command to run, it makes 1200 be the next command run. This is fantastic because it effectively bypasses ALL of the signature checks.

Now the bad news. If you don't have a phone that has been jailbroken, you MUST have the shsh hash for your explicit phone for the exact version you wish to restore to. Why? Because the signatures are different for your phone for every version. You cannot use 3.1 signatures on a 3.0 or 3.0.1 restore. The phone will see the mismatch and raise an error.

This is why dev team always says 'once the chain of trust is broken, it is ALWAYS broken'. The chain of trust they are speaking of is the ability to load custom firmware onto the device.

In order to restore using itunes, you can use either Saurik's repository (by pointing gs.apple.com to the cydia ip address) OR by using the tool I wrote TinyTSS. The main difference between the two is that TinyTSS runs your your personal computer using the file(s) you personally downloaded.

I like having everything on my machine. I don't want to depend wholly on some remote server being up to be able to restore. Also, it's a longshot, but what happens if some crackpot judge grants Apple a DMCA request and shuts saurik down? How will you restore?

Answer: TinyTSS + the files you obtain using Umbrella.

1. Goto The Firmware Umbrella
    2. Download the latest fw-umbrella-semaphore-<VERSION>.zip
    3. GET YOUR ECID using any of the zillions of methods all over the net.
    4. Run Umbrella - it has a simple user interface
    5. Keep the file it generates safe.

When you want to restore just run tinytss -f <your file> as administrator (or root) and you will have a server running on your personal computer that will act EXACTLY like apple's very own signature server OR saurik's signature server.

Change your /etc/hosts file or WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (as administrator or root) so that

gs.apple.com 127.0.0.1

is in the file. Keep in mind if you point to sauriks machine you'll need to comment that out for TinyTSS to be able to work. (use # to comment)

Then just restore to the version of the hash file you passed to tinytss. IE if you passed tinytss a 3.1 shsh file, you can shift+restore to 3.1 via itunes. And of course, if you are on 3.0/3.0.1 and require an unlock don't be stupid. PwnageTool is the ONLY way to keep your baseband. TinyTSS won't protect your basband. PERIOD.
    The Firmware Umbrella -
    Save your device shsh blobs locally and use them to restore your device regardless of what apple signs.

IE. This is what saurik does, only completely on your machine.

Removed due to further posts

Hi Guys

I am pretty new to the scene I bought a Iphone 3GS with 3.1.2 in it, upgrade ot latest baseband and jailbroke it. When I ran cydia the first time I happened to click "No" when cydia asked me to store my Ecid.

I have sat now for hours around the net and all information I can find on how to get the option back is to click the developing button at the bottom but that doesn't seem to do anything and holding it down just shows me an option to run a javascript which doesn't do anything.

Has anybody figured how to get the option back cause I am going mad here.

I assume that something must change within the iphone for it to know not to show the option next time however I have been pretty unsuccessfull sshing to my mobile (Think it's my router but unsure) to snoop in there a little bit.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
    NooK
    Last edited by NooK; 2009-11-29 at 02:16 PM.

Well to ssh in I would suggest using DiskAid. Runs through USB so there would be no need to change router settings.

Hmm thanks for the tip but to be honest I am probably not gonna use ssh a whole lot and would like to keep it simple.

Something is weird since I have tried, putty, winscp and even linux's own ssh client but all timeout.

Something tells me that the Fon router I am trying it with doesn't want to play ball

Anyways still in the quest to get the screen to work again so if anybody knows how to do it please drop us a line. For now I guess I'll back up my data locally to be safe.

Regards

I did a full reset. Put my phone in DFU mode (Direct Firmware Upgrade) Installed 3.1.2 firmware, chucked blackra1n on and installed Cydia. That should get you back to the "Make my life easier" button.

Thanks but I was hoping to avoid having to do the reset.

how do i get into the saurik server to get my shsh that are on file?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456