Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia 3.1 ECID SHSH service is up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    if your phone is JB-ed, you can upload your shsh through Cydia. if you are NOT JB-ed, Umbrella is your only choice right now, untill 3.1 is Jailbroken.

its always good to have a backup. Umbrella now, Cydia when its available
    Stop saying that...Do you know for sure that it doesn't work? If you haven't restored to 3.1 with your hosts pointing at saurik's server, then no, you don't. These quotes directly from saurik.com lead me to believe otherwise.

This point should be stressed: even if you don't jailbreak, and even if you never intend to jailbreak, you should consider using the new "on file" service.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.
    Once you even attempt to use this service (or if you tell Cydia to "make your life easier") you will be signed up for the signature tracker, and Cydia HQ will do its best to manage your ability to restore.
    rubberneck says he followed the steps. It should have worked. @ rubberneck, do what I laid out in my last post to try and verify blobs cached on saurik's server. If it works, let us know. MAKE SURE YOUR HOSTS FILE IS POINTING AT SAURIK'S SERVER WHEN YOU RUN UMBRELLA. If it's not, it just generates ECID SHSH's itself, rather than pull down the ones saurik has.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Madman604x (2009-09-28), rubberneck (2009-09-26)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

Stop saying that...Do you know for sure that it doesn't work? If you haven't restored to 3.1 with your hosts pointing at saurik's server, then no, you don't. These quotes directly from saurik.com lead me to believe otherwise.
    EDIT: L00i3 you're right. i stand corrected.
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-26 at 07:03 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default /etc/hosts entry
    Hello developpers! please tell me:

I followed saurik's description and entered
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com in the hosts file.
    Then I pinged it with Terminal and actually it never stops displaying entries like these, on after the other.

64 bytes from 74.208.105.171: icmp_seq=2327 ttl=43 time=201.637 ms
    64 bytes from 74.208.105.171: icmp_seq=2328 ttl=43 time=200.600 ms
    64 bytes from 74.208.105.171: icmp_seq=2329 ttl=43 time=202.046 ms
    64 bytes from 74.208.105.171: icmp_seq=2330 ttl=43 time=200.352 ms

There are thousands and I never get the expected final message,
    something like :

--- login.gs.apple.com ping statistics ---
    X packets transmitted, X packets received, 0% packet loss

What's wrong...?!
    Do I need to go to iTunes first?
    Afraid to lose the 3.01 jailbreak on my first 3G, and to do something wrong with the other (official)3G iPhone on OS 3.1...
    Last edited by Rocky34; 2009-09-26 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correcting text

Hi guys

My 3GS got something wrong and now all I can have is an apple image. I didn't hash my ECID on Cydia so now, basically I stuck with the version 3.0.1 without able to go back.

As you mentions in this post, is it means that I now have to upgrade into 3.1 and edit my host file to Cydia server? Do you mean that after I edit the host file, I can directly restore with 3.1 version from Itunes?

Please answer me hurry!

and if yes, how can I be sure the ECID for 3.1 of mine is stored on the server, is there any way to check it!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha321 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My 3GS is my first iPhone, so I'm actually pretty new to the iPhone world and by no means an expert. But since I've downgraded from the FW 3.1 to 3.0, and I see quite a lot of people are really confused on this ECID SHSH thing, so I'll try my best to explain my understanding. I'll try to write everything in easier terms and it's probably not absolutely correct, but hopefully at least you'll get an idea.

First off, in order to do a restore on an iPhone, you'll need to have Apple to sign that copy of Firmware for you(be it whatever version the FW is). And their new policy is not to sign any FW other than the most current one, which is FW 3.1 at this moment. When they first have this FW 3.1 out, there was a window of a few days(or hours? I'm not so sure, coz it passed anyways)that they will still sign for the older FW 3.0. So during that window, Saurik was able to help about 50,000 people to get Apple to sign a copy of the FW 3.0, and then saved a copy of the most critical info(ECID SHSH I believe, in Layman's term, an authorization code, a password for installing the FW 3.0 onto THAT particular iPhone) in his server. This is the whole thing about the "this device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file". This mean with the help of Saurik's server "signing" a copy of the FW with the ECID SHSH that was saved on file, that 50,000 will be able to restore to FW 3.0. And this is exactly why we'll need to edit the host file to re-direct iTune to Saurik's server, in place of the Apple server. So everybody with me so far?

So now the window to get the ECID for FW 3.0 is closed, we can only aim for the next best thing, which is FW 3.1. Even though the way to jail-break 3.1 on 3GS hasn't come out yet, things are looking good(except unlocking the phone, which is a seperate issue and at this moment, no one knows if it can be done on 3.1). Since this FW 3.1 is still jail-breakable, so what Saurik's suggesting right now, is for as many ppl as possible, to get a ECID of FW 3.1. So if in the future, apple comes up with a new FW that is un-jail-breakable(what a word), ppl can always fall back and restore to FW 3.1(again, which is jail-breakable).

So now, for the confusion of "I'm using 3.0/3.0.1, but it said I have a 'this device has a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file'" scenario. It's just like you're now in a room called FW 3.0, and you have the key to FW 3.1. You don't need it right now, and you probably shouldn't use it right now. It's only for the future, if you've left room FW 3.0(which could means something corrupted and you need to restore the FW, or you have upgraded to FW 3.2 or 469.0 by mistake). So now you can't restore back to FW 3.0(cause you don't have the key, remember?), what's the next best thing? Exactly, it's the FW 3.1, because it's jail-breakable, and you have the key/ECID to access.

So at the end, to make it simple, no matter what kind of FW you're on right now, if you're not 1 of the lucky 50,000 that has the 3.0 ECID hashed on Saurik's server(if you don't know that you're a lucky one, you prolly aren't), the ONLY FW that you can restore right now is FW 3.1, because it is the ONLY Firmware that Apple will sign and authorize iTune to restore on your phone at this moment. If you have a jail-broken FW 3.0/3.0.1 phone right now, you can upgrade to 3.1 and stuck with it in the meantime, or you wait till the release of a jail-broken FW 3.1 to come out in the near future.

Whew, it's a long post, hopefully I haven't confused you guys even more.

Ciao
    What a long post dude, but you're my man. Now, I decide to upgrade to 3.1 and hash my ECID. Hopefully Saurik will have solution for the 3.1 jb soon.

I upgraded into 3.1 and so far, as I get a file 00.shsh 64kb using umbrella, I think I was successfully hash my ECID to Cydia server. Is it right? everybody???
    Last edited by bonbonlulu; 2009-09-26 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post

rubberneck says he followed the steps. It should have worked. @ rubberneck, do what I laid out in my last post to try and verify blobs cached on saurik's server. If it works, let us know. MAKE SURE YOUR HOSTS FILE IS POINTING AT SAURIK'S SERVER WHEN YOU RUN UMBRELLA. If it's not, it just generates ECID SHSH's itself, rather than pull down the ones saurik has.

THANKS LOOi3 - CONFIRMED - IT WORKS ... even if you are at 3.1, non-JB, you can get your ECID up on Saurik's server! Simply follow the steps from the first post in this thread. 3.1 peeps, DO IT NOW!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rubberneck For This Useful Post:

L00i3 (2009-09-26)

Thanks for reporting back and confirming that rubberneck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Thanks for reporting back and confirming that rubberneck.
    AH, I learned something new today. i do have one question like the guy a few posts above. How can you be sure its stored with Cydia? is the some kind of visual confirmation? like text that says "your ECID has been stored sucessfully"?

maybe im just paranoid...must be all that crack i smoked earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    How can you be sure its stored with Cydia?
    read what I posted a few posts back. edit your hosts the way saurik tells you to for the downgrade procedure. Then run the umbrella tool as normal, just add -v 3.1 to the end like so

Code:
    umbrella -e XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -c 8920 -v 3.1
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX = 16 digit ECID code

With the hosts file pointing at saurik's server, umbrella will download the blob saurik has for you on his server. I used this method with the -v 3.0 flag to download my 3.0 blobs from saurik. I figured I would suggest it as a way to verify 3.1 blobs for people that don't know for sure saurik has it.

Having read all the posts so far I can't find umbrella in order to generate proper file:-(.
    By mistake I tried to upgrade an sb settings from cydia without having first collect respective info(or pressing button..so currently since I haven't sent my key to server I cannot roll back to 3.0. I have to wait for a jbed version from dev team. this is something that I had understood but...in order to be on safe side can someone tell me where to find umbrella application in order at least...not to have same issue in the near(at least I hope)future?

Thanks

ah, thanks L00i3

AdamantiosXRV the program is called Firmware Umbrella.

its the first post in this forum

link: HERE

all the info and links are in here
    Last edited by Madman604x; 2009-09-26 at 09:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGuru's Avatar
    Thanks

Madman604x, you know, instead you could just tell everyone to look at the top sticky on this forum it has all the links needed, and saves people having to google for it.

Edit: Looks like you did while I was writing this nevermind.
    iGuru, aka macdotnub/mac.nub - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macdotnub
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

Quote Originally Posted by thedesp View Post
    From saurik's tweet.

Here's what it looks like

Cydia 1.0.3044-65 running on FW 3.0.1

For non-jailbroken devices, you can register with Cydia server by append
    the following line to your hosts file

Code:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    hosts file location

Code:
    /etc/hosts on mac
    C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts on Windows

and then do a restore from iTunes. This will register your device with Cydia server.
    May I know which firmware version should I restore to?

Cheers~~~

thx madman. apologies to all but as said...made quite a stupid thing today and...
    anywayzzz now is clear I believe :-) I modified the host run umbrella from dos but with .jar file as well. stored both of the files and now since (if I understood correctly)I cannot downgrade to previous version...I ll wait 3.1 jb to be released.....

is it possible to have both 3.0.1 and 3.1 file stored in cydia? If so, is there a way to tell? Thanks.

Thanks

Yes, however it will only show the first available one. For example, if you have 3.0 on file it will say "This device has a 3.0 SHSH ECID on file" and you will also have 3.1 on file too. It is extremely unlikely that you have 3.0.1 on file however.
    Get your ECID SHSH file! (For 3GS Restore verification) http://bit.ly/JnDw2 (Thanks to semaphore!)

Mine said 3.1 on file. I guess that mean i don't have the 3.0 on file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternkid View Post
    Mine said 3.1 on file. I guess that mean i don't have the 3.0 on file.
    That is correct.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to iGuru For This Useful Post:

chiron (2009-09-29)

So now the window to get the ECID for FW 3.0 is closed, we can only aim for the next best thing, which is FW 3.1. Even though the way to jail-break 3.1 on 3GS hasn't come out yet, things are looking good(except unlocking the phone, which is a seperate issue and at this moment, no one knows if it can be done on 3.1).
    Since I had no plans going abroad anytime soon, I didnt bother to unlock my device. Till I read Buddha321's comment. But being able to unlock my iphone is rather important.

Can anyone here tell me, if I procrastinate any longer would I risk losing this option?

My status: 3gs JB; 3.0.1 fw; got 3.1 hash on-file cydia; 3.1 SHSH blob; carier T-mobile (I read somewhere that after the unlock you could lose your T-mobile 3g connection?!)

Quote Originally Posted by chiron View Post
    I didnt bother to unlock my device.

My status: 3gs JB; 3.0.1 fw; got 3.1 hash on-file cydia; 3.1 SHSH blob; carier T-mobile (I read somewhere that after the unlock you could lose your T-mobile 3g connection?!)
    Are you in Germany? Cuz if you are in the US, the 2 parts i changed to red is an impossible combination. If you are in the US and you have T-Mobile on an iphone, you are unlocked.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

chiron (2009-09-29)

Pretty close, it is a combination in the Netherlands.
    Last edited by chiron; 2009-09-29 at 09:53 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast