Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia 3.1 ECID SHSH service is up now.

Yeeeha. There is a new option "reconsider". The jailbreak-haters get their second chance.

Can someone please help me I amtrying to reg through windows but when i try to save the Hosts file it says make sure path andfile name are correct

I have "this device has a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file" on my Cydia now, and I am on firmware 3.0 on my iphone 3GS, I also directed my itunes server to saurik's server. My question is if any thing happens wrong with my iphone now, will I be able to restore my iphone 3GS back to 3.0 safely and jailbreak and unlock it again? thanks

I have "this device has a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file" on my Cydia now, and I am on firmware 3.0 on my iphone 3GS, I also directed my itunes server to saurik's server. My question is if any thing happens wrong with my iphone now, will I be able to restore my iphone 3GS back to 3.0 safely and jailbreak and unlock it again? thanks
    Last edited by zeeshanjs; 2009-09-23 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok i need some help after i directec the hosts file toward saurik server i cant get my itunes to sync with the iphone or im missing something in here ???

Quote Originally Posted by zeeshanjs View Post

No, you will be forced to update to 3.1, so don't monkey with ANYTHING until 3.1 JB tools are release by dev team.

Quote Originally Posted by reverser View Post
    so don't monkey with ANYTHING until 3.1 JB tools are release by dev team.
    This is the one rule I can't seem to follow. I mean, i don't go installing stuff willy nilly, but if I see something interesting in Cydia, I can't stop myself from grabbing it and hoping for the best. Even after reading about the countless number of people that install something and end up in an endless boot cycle. I know better, it's just hard.

Default cydia reconsider for me?
    Hi there! Newbie here. I am seeing the option to reconsider on cydia. I have a 3g on jailbreak/unlock on 3.0. Is this option for me or just the 3G S owners? Thanks guys.

I did this the other day and now my data connection is flakey. Is it possible that this "make my life easier" could have screwed anything up? I have full bars and 3G showing but cannot access any email or internet stuff. I check under sbsettings and it has a data ip but i just can't connect to anything unless i disable 3g and use edge. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or what but everything was fine for months until i did this. I'm on 3GS with JB 3.0

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

most likely coincidence Jayman11. you are merely submitting info to his server (someone correct me if im wrong). the problems you may be having could be related to a recently added app or just general flakieness of the 3gs OS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Madman604x For This Useful Post:

lhlong (2009-09-24)

Hello everyone,

My 3GS is my first iPhone, so I'm actually pretty new to the iPhone world and by no means an expert. But since I've downgraded from the FW 3.1 to 3.0, and I see quite a lot of people are really confused on this ECID SHSH thing, so I'll try my best to explain my understanding. I'll try to write everything in easier terms and it's probably not absolutely correct, but hopefully at least you'll get an idea.

First off, in order to do a restore on an iPhone, you'll need to have Apple to sign that copy of Firmware for you(be it whatever version the FW is). And their new policy is not to sign any FW other than the most current one, which is FW 3.1 at this moment. When they first have this FW 3.1 out, there was a window of a few days(or hours? I'm not so sure, coz it passed anyways)that they will still sign for the older FW 3.0. So during that window, Saurik was able to help about 50,000 people to get Apple to sign a copy of the FW 3.0, and then saved a copy of the most critical info(ECID SHSH I believe, in Layman's term, an authorization code, a password for installing the FW 3.0 onto THAT particular iPhone) in his server. This is the whole thing about the "this device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file". This mean with the help of Saurik's server "signing" a copy of the FW with the ECID SHSH that was saved on file, that 50,000 will be able to restore to FW 3.0. And this is exactly why we'll need to edit the host file to re-direct iTune to Saurik's server, in place of the Apple server. So everybody with me so far?

So now the window to get the ECID for FW 3.0 is closed, we can only aim for the next best thing, which is FW 3.1. Even though the way to jail-break 3.1 on 3GS hasn't come out yet, things are looking good(except unlocking the phone, which is a seperate issue and at this moment, no one knows if it can be done on 3.1). Since this FW 3.1 is still jail-breakable, so what Saurik's suggesting right now, is for as many ppl as possible, to get a ECID of FW 3.1. So if in the future, apple comes up with a new FW that is un-jail-breakable(what a word), ppl can always fall back and restore to FW 3.1(again, which is jail-breakable).

So now, for the confusion of "I'm using 3.0/3.0.1, but it said I have a 'this device has a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file'" scenario. It's just like you're now in a room called FW 3.0, and you have the key to FW 3.1. You don't need it right now, and you probably shouldn't use it right now. It's only for the future, if you've left room FW 3.0(which could means something corrupted and you need to restore the FW, or you have upgraded to FW 3.2 or 469.0 by mistake). So now you can't restore back to FW 3.0(cause you don't have the key, remember?), what's the next best thing? Exactly, it's the FW 3.1, because it's jail-breakable, and you have the key/ECID to access.

So at the end, to make it simple, no matter what kind of FW you're on right now, if you're not 1 of the lucky 50,000 that has the 3.0 ECID hashed on Saurik's server(if you don't know that you're a lucky one, you prolly aren't), the ONLY FW that you can restore right now is FW 3.1, because it is the ONLY Firmware that Apple will sign and authorize iTune to restore on your phone at this moment. If you have a jail-broken FW 3.0/3.0.1 phone right now, you can upgrade to 3.1 and stuck with it in the meantime, or you wait till the release of a jail-broken FW 3.1 to come out in the near future.

Whew, it's a long post, hopefully I haven't confused you guys even more.

Ciao
    Last edited by Buddha321; 2009-09-24 at 09:43 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha321 For This Useful Post:

bonbonlulu (2009-09-26)

nice one Buddha321!
    Iīm one of the lucky who got my 3.0 ECID on file with Cydia.

Question is if I have to do something to get my 3.1 file stored aswell for futer use, or if Saurik can use my allready stored 3.0 file for that purpose?

Dosenīt have any button in Cydia to make my life easy (and the "developing thing" dosenīt seem to work at the moment.)

Default not getting option to save 3.1 ECID SHSH
    Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my 3.1 ECID SHSH saved (I didn't save my 3.0 ECID SHSH).

I've got an iphone 3G, previously jailbroken, and upgraded to 3.1/jailbroken using PwnageTool.
    Cydia 1.0.3044-65, everything up to date.

But - I'm not getting the "make life easier" button reported by others, or any indication that my 3.1 ECID SHSH has been saved.

I also tried changing my /etc/hosts file and doing a restore (to the custom 3.1 ipsw) using iTunes.

Am I missing something? What do I need to do?

Thanks!

You are missing that the 3G doesnīt have any ECID, only the 3GS..So you donīt have to do anything.

gStAv, according to this session from Saurik's article,

"Once you even attempt to use this service (or if you tell Cydia to "make your life easier") you will be signed up for the signature tracker, and Cydia HQ will do its best to manage your ability to restore."

I would ASSUME we're covered for the FW3.1 as well. But keep in mind this is only my assumption, it would definitely be better if some experts like iGuru could chimp in on this.

P.S. the bottomline is, even if we can't down-grade to 3.1 in the future, at least the 3.0 is available to us

OK, got this from Saurik's twitter,

"Yes: users who have 3.0 signatures "on file" are already queued (or already completed from before) to get 3.1 signatures saved. ;P"

So those of us who have 3.0 on file are ok and don't need to do it again.
    Last edited by Buddha321; 2009-09-25 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default did my 3.1 ECID SHSH save to the server?
    Hello, I have a virgin 3.1 3Gs. I have appended my hosts file and did a restore. How can I be sure my ECID SHSH made it up to the Cydia server?

**remember to sync your apps with iTunes before you restore. A backup does NOT copy your Apps. I had to download them again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    Hello, I have a virgin 3.1 3Gs. I have appended my hosts file and did a restore. How can I be sure my ECID SHSH made it up to the Cydia server?

**remember to sync your apps with iTunes before you restore. A backup does NOT copy your Apps. I had to download them again!
    the cydia server cant get your 3.1 ecid yet, as there is no jailbreak for cydia to be installed on your phone.

use the "firmware umbrella", mentioned in this forum, to get your 3.1 ECID blobs.

the firmware umbrella will genereate a "00.shsh" file for you. this allows you to stay at 3.1 (which IS unlockable)

keep the 00.shsh file somewhere safe.

be sure to set your "hosts" file back to normal (remover referances to gs.apple.com) before using the firmware umbrella or it WON'T work.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    the cydia server cant get your 3.1 ecid yet, as there is no jailbreak for cydia to be installed on your phone.

use the "firmware umbrella", mentioned in this forum, to get your 3.1 ECID blobs.

the firmware umbrella will genereate a "00.shsh" file for you. this allows you to stay at 3.1 (which IS unlockable)

keep the 00.shsh file somewhere safe.

be sure to set your "hosts" file back to normal (remover referances to gs.apple.com) before using the firmware umbrella or it WON'T work.
    Thanks, I'll try the umbrella method but the opening post says for "non-jailbroken" devices.

Quote Originally Posted by thedesp View Post

For non-jailbroken devices, you can register with Cydia server by append
    the following line to your hosts file

Code:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    hosts file location

Code:
    /etc/hosts on mac
    C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts on Windows

and then do a restore from iTunes. This will register your device with Cydia server.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post

Run the firmware umbrella tool with your hosts file still pointing at saurik's server. Open command prompt (I hope you are using windows as that's all I know.) and change directory to where your umbrella.exe is stored. then type
    Code:
    umbrella -e XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -c 8920 -v 3.1
    Where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your 16 digit ECID. As long as your blob is on file there, you should see your full blob appear in the command prompt window, and a 00.shsh (64KB in size) appear in the directory where umbrella.exe is stored. That is your ECID SHSH.

If it's not on file with saurik, modify your hosts file back to normal, then run the same command (except you don't have to put the -v 3.1 in there, and umbrella will contact apple's servers and get you your blob.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

rubberneck (2009-09-26)

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try the umbrella method but the opening post says for "non-jailbroken" devices.
    if your phone is JB-ed, you can upload your shsh through Cydia. if you are NOT JB-ed, Umbrella is your only choice right now, untill 3.1 is Jailbroken.

its always good to have a backup. Umbrella now, Cydia when its available

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Madman604x For This Useful Post:

rubberneck (2009-09-26)

Thanks guys, I used umbrella to create my shsh file.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast