Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Able to Downgrade on 3GS but then no Service

Unhappy Able to Downgrade on 3GS but then no Service
    I had repeatedly tried to Downgrade my 3GS to 3.0 from 3.1 and then jailbreak. My info was captured on Saurik's servers so I'm able to restore to 3.0 but am not able to get out of Restore Mode in order to activate my iphone 3GS on AT&T's network before jailbreaking. Initially when I downgraded to 3.0 and then jailbroke with RedSnOw it worked but there was no network service, my phone was not activated on At&T's network

HAVE SEEN NO SOLUTION OUT THERE, IRECOVERY DIDN'T WORK, TURNING PHONE OFF AND HOLDING DOWN POWER & HOME BUTTON FOR 15 SECS THEN RELEASING HOME BUTTON WHILE STILL HOLDING POWER BUTTON DIDN'T WORK.

IS THERE ANY SOLUTION OUT THERE SO WE CAN DOWNGRADE TO 3.0, JAILBREAK BUT HAVE AT&T SERVICE. I HAVE SEEN NO SOLUTION THAT WORKS THUS FAR TO GETTING OUT OF RESTORE MODE SO THE PHONE IPHONE CAN BE ACTIVATED BEFORE JAILBREAKING?
    Last edited by emkers; 2009-09-17 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Trying to get this in 3GS downgrading group

Try purplera1n. Worked for me.

Thanks, can you be more specific as to when in the process I should use purplerain1?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

alright, chill chill, try this:

put phone in dfu mode, restore back to 3.0. you should get error 1015. then go here:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ssed-read.html

follow the directions and jailbreak with redsn0w.

tell me how it works out =p

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bondkt For This Useful Post:

emkers (2009-09-18)

I assume activated and unactivated firmware applys on 3gs

Quote Originally Posted by bondkt View Post

put phone in dfu mode, restore back to 3.0. you should get error 1015. then go here:

Thanks a million BondKt! Its like I now have a New Phone. Who are you masked Man. Really thank you so much for the solution. Worked first time out, was strange when it in one moment showed the Quikpwn Blue Box, still showed the itunes logo with cable, quit out of it, and in the next moment it said the iphone was activated. Happened so quickly didn't know what happen. Then jailbroke with RedsnOw with no problem!! Really appreciate it!

Just to clarify, I had been able to jailbreak after downgrading from firmware 3.1 to 3.0, but there was no service on my phone after jailbreaking. After BondKt responded to my post, I was able to successfully downgrade to 3.0 from 3.1 on my 3gs, but I was able to Activate My AT&T service. The activation of the phone doesn't have anything to do with the firmware itself.
    Last edited by emkers; 2009-09-18 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, I've downgraded my 3G from 3.1 to 3.0 three times now using the instructions here, and each time went through the process with QuickPwn and then redsn0w, but I still have No Service. When I finish jailbreaking it I start up iTunes and it prompts me with the "Set up your iPhone" screen where I have to set it up as a new iPhone, or restore a backup. I've tried both but neither one restores activation... How do I get it re-activated??

Others are saying an even easier way is after Downgrading to 3.0..while you are still in restore mode, run Purplera1n. I'm told that will get you jailbroken and you'll come out with your phone activated. Quikpwn worked for me...i used the directions provided by Bondkt. I believe an important part is when reading the instructions on how to use quikpwn, you unattached your phone from the USB cable. After running quikpwn it takes you out of restore mode (just shows that you can make an emergency call), immediately after that, my phone snapped out of its slumber and it said it was activated. Once I knew it was activated (phone said it was activated), that's when I jailbroke with RedSnOw. I am running Itunes 9.0 (Windows XP) and this all worked.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

don't you have to disable 3G when you JB an AT&T iPhone?

I believe when you use Quikpwn you are supposed to disable 3g. But you don't use quikpwn in this case to jailbreak, you just use it to get out of restore mode so you can activate your phone. Don't believe there is any instruction in the redsn0w jailbreak that you should disable 3g.

Thanks

No no you all have it all wrong, here it is:

all quickpwn does is change the auto-boot. It doesn't youch your network settings or anything like that.

About your 3G issue. If you are JB an iphone you do not need to turn off 3G.

But if you are UNLOCKING it, then yes you do have to for some (t-mobile doesn't support att's 3G, thats why you turn 3G off)

If you have no network service, DFU restore back to 3.0.

Just to clarify. This only works if you saw that thing on Cydia and recorded your phone information on that cydia server?

I have my brother's 3gs who was an IDIOT and updated.

Quote Originally Posted by bondkt View Post

Hi

I tried to follow that link to the thread but it cannot find the page. does someoone know where it went? or what the gist of it was?

why does all the information on restoring a 3G[S] contradict itself.. I don't have my ECID on file but i'm on 3.0 JB..

what are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by elcid316 View Post
    why does all the information on restoring a 3G[S] contradict itself.. I don't have my ECID on file but i'm on 3.0 JB..

what are my options?
    There are no contradictions. If you have a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file in Cydia, you can downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 or restore from 3.0/3.0.1 to 3.0 If you don't, then you can't. That simple.

Your options are to maintain the 3.0 jailbreak, and don't screw up your phone in a way that requires a restore. And get your 3.1 info on file with Cydia.

Emkers you descibes the situation very well. I sid the same exact thing as you. No cell signal for AT&T.

Downgraded successfully to 3.0 and 3.0.1 from 3.1 but couldn't get my cell service through AT&T back. So I just went back to 3.1.

Can you explain how you got the cell signal more clearly for me please?

Did you lose MMS? Any other issues with downgrade?

Hope You can Reply BONDKT. I've happily kept my 3.0 jailbreak (WITH YOUR HELP), after downgrading from 3.1. I'm on Windows, do you know if there is any Jailbreak Upgrade Path to 3.1 and beyond for Windows Users. Only see Pawnage tool MAC OSX only solutions. Have you seen anything out there for Windows...if not, the Jailbreak Option will start to die away.

Thanks

Im watching two soulitions atm, you should watch them too:

ih8sn0w's sn0wbreeze (like windows pwangetool): sn0wbreeze

GeoHot's blackra1n, able to jailbreak any device: blackra1n

blackra1n is due today tom or sunday, and sn0w is due between the 12 - 15 of this month.

Default U can upgrade
    After sum searching and posting I figured it out. Downgrade to 3.0 if you have ECID On Cydia. Shift restore an u will get 1015 error. Do another restore to 3.0 and u will get another 1015 error. Now. Jailbreak with redsn0w. If u r AT&T contracted.. IMPORTANT... Download custom firmware for 3.1 that is unactivated. Shirt restore to it. It works!!'. But you must alter the "hosts" file. Search Saurik for the how to. Good luck and Fuk Apple!

TAKE NOTE....... EASIEST WAY!!!!........ 3G [S] 3.1 to 3.0 WITH NETWORK WORKING!!!!!!!!!

You MUST have ECID on file.

Add file needed to etc/hosts

Put iPhone in DFU

Hit restore while holding down 'alt' key (mac), choose 3.0 firmware you should have downloaded.

Wait for error '1015' okay it then restore again as you just did (no need for DFU again) you'll get another '1015' error, press ok on it again.

Open Purplera1n, once second restore has finished, click 'make it ra1n'

Within a min or two, iTunes will ask you if you'd like to update carrier settings, click YES.

Now you have iPhone 3G [S] back to 3.0! And Network working.

On iPhone home screen select 'Freeze' and instal Cydia. Reboot and your DONE!

You can now set up from new or backup. And re-Jailbreak to 3.1 if you want.

ENJOY!

Once you have successfully downgraded to 3.0 and 'pwnd' your iPhone, wanna update and jailbreak to 3.1.2 with no 1600 error???

Here's how..... (so simple)!

Download Pwnage Tool (Quickpwn), download firmware 3.1.2

Open Pwnage tool, select you device and select 'expert' option at the top of the window.

Continue (blue arrow bottom right)

Let it find, then select your downloaded firmware and continue

Choose 'general' (first option of six) and don't touch anything on the next few screens, except one option - 'Activate Network' (or something like that) this is important, otherwise you'll loose your network! If you have an office carrier like AT&T or O2 DESELECT IT! If you've got a different network that your iPhone isn't officially avalible on KEEP IT SELECTED! NOW continue passed these screens with the blue arrow until you get the 'Cydia'/'Icy' options. DESELECT ICY! And continue.

Press continue, DESELECT both the boot and restore logos (pineapple and Steve Jobs cartoon man)

Let it build your custom ispw, it will ask for your admin password, type it in and press ok.

When it is complete, it will ask you to put iPhone into recovery mode NOT DFU MODE! to do this you need to unplug your iPhone, turn it off, hold the home button and reconnect, keeping the home button held in until iTunes recognizes phone in recovery mode. Then hold 'alt' and restore to the custom ispw.

Allow a few mins................. POW!!! JOB DONE!!!
    Last edited by Sammy 3G [S]; 2009-10-11 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost